Recommend an Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Everyone reply ONCE recommending ONE album and a sentence or two why. ONE album. Cannot stress that enough. Which album is currently "melting your butter" in a way you think EVERY ONE OF US needs to hear it?

Daft Punk - Discovery

It's seriously the best album I've heard in AGES! In the last couple of years I've 'dabbled' in electronics as a result of being pointed in the direction of a small group of electronic acts every now and again to dilute my regular 'rock diet', but this album really takes the cake in my opinion! Home to my favourite song "Digital Love", this album is actually the only 'dance' album I have listened to more than once! Every track is superb and just has this incredibly uplifting feeling to it! Have not heard anything quite like it and suggest everyone give it a listen.

(interesting facts- daft punk released 'discovery' four years ago today. 'Human After All' is released tommorow.)

Queen- A Night At The Opera

Last week I bought 5 Queen albums. I'm loving all of them, but ANATO stands out. Yes, it has Bohemian Rhapsody, probably the greatest rock song ever written and recorded, but it goes in so many different directions. The vaudville of "Seaside Rendezvous" is like watching an old Charlie Chaplin movie in music form. It's a musical. Same with "Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon." This album has the hits as well. "You're My Best Friend", "Bohemian Rhapsody." The mystic metal of "The Prophet's Song", and the harmony bliss of the Brian May sung "39." Queen are the only band who sounded like nobody before them, a complete original, masterful players, songwriters and performers. Has anybody sounded like Queen since? Nope.

Last edited:
Razorlight-Fantastic new band from London. Hard guitars, heavy base, lots of percussion and cutting edge. Great lead singer. Second half of album is just completely engrossing. A real jammer, very uplifting.

Oh I almost forgot... Razorlight's album is called "Up All Night".:dance:

Last edited:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Once you get past Anthony's sometimes questionable lyrics, you'll see BSSM for the fantastic album it is. I don't think I've ever heard a bassist and a drummer so in tune with one another on any album since this one.

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

perfect music for this age... sad, depressive, weird, synthetized, machined, exasperating and desperate. I'm going to see him live in April, I'm surprised he's coming to Mexico

u2valleygirl said:
Razorlight-Fantastic new band from London. Hard guitars, heavy base, lots of percussion and cutting edge. Great lead singer. Second half of album is just completely engrossing. A real jammer, very uplifting.

Oh I almost forgot... Razorlight's album is called "Up All Night".:dance:

Quality album. I bought it at the same time as The Killers who'll I'll be seeing on the 29th June as well. Flippin' awsome! :rockon:

Try The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill, strangely enough. It's a modern classic; beautiful soul, stunning vocals and melodies that make you want to :dance: Personally, I think it gets better on every listen. Give it a go :)

Roxy Music - Avalon (Remastered)

Avalon is one of my favourite albums from vinyl days but the remastered CD is divine.

The Space Between has become my all time favourite song (for this week). The lush slow funk has me wiggling in my chair.

To Turn You On sounds so different, so many more discrete musical "bits", that even through my computer headphones the song is perfect to just sit and let the music wash over me like a wave washing thingie.

You probably already know about the title track, Avalon, and More Than This.

Avalon is a late night, ambient album that's always been one of my favourites.

Lush ambient funk :up:

Last edited:
The Rolling Stones - Live licks

It's a great live album with awesome live versions of many known and many unknown Rolling Stones songs by the casual fan. The first cd has all the classics, there's a great and beautiful version of Gimme Shelter an amazing rocking version of Street Fighting Man and another great version of Paint It, Black. The second cd has the great songs we don’t usually see on a Rolling Stones live cd and most of them were played again on the Licks tour after many years. I never thought I would listen to live versions of Neighbours and Monkey Man but there they are and they kick ass. That's How Strong My Love Is and Beast Of Burden are also great but the best one is Worried About You. One of the best live versions ever caught on tape by the Stones. It’s perfect, Mick and Charlie are absolutely perfect on this song. One of my all time favorites. Great live cd! :up:

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising.
(Also, his Live in Barcelona DVD.)

My first listen to the Boss. At first, I thought it was alright. Over time, it became a prized item. So many good songs on that CD.

I would recommend Mr Bungle-California.

Because it's unique, it's challenging and because it never got any due respect. Mike Patton is a God. Try it out, either you are going to think it's crap or absolute genius, it might be worth the gamble to some of you.

Zoomerang96 said:
ok computer - radiohead

obvious choice, but it's still the best.

:up:

Screw The Bends...OK Computer will always be my favourite Radiohead album.

Mylo - Destroy Rock n'Roll

Uplifting electro, dance and bass. If you're looking for something new. It's a really original album and I think Mylo is going to be really huge this year, he's already getting a lot of airplay these days.

The Tossers - "Communication and Conviction."

Why?
I was considering which Tossers album I should recommend, because I listen to all of their albums constantly-they are tied with U2 for my favorite band, and may even win because you can't mosh to U2. At any rate, "Communication and Conviction" has a really wide range of songs-it has rocking punk songs like "Young Ned of the Hill" and "Buckets of Beer" (which they played last night!), "Dancin Shoes," the best song ever to dance to, and gorgeous ballads like "Everything's Bad."

But the take-home message is: check out the Tossers!

At the moment...

Interpol - Antics

yeah it came out a while ago. i listened to it a few times and put it away thinking it was just ok. I put it in recently and haven't been able to stop. I don't know what it is, but there's something about this CD that i find so damn SEXY! :combust:

Nobody has mentioned either of these two yet, so I don't know whether I should praise Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys or Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello & The Attractions.

:hmm:

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds :D
In 13 songs/35 minutes The Beach Boys make the perfect pop record. Loaded with hooks (Wouldn't It Be Nice), melodies (Let's Go Away For Awhile), introspection (I Just Wasn't Made For These Times) and some of the sweetest (but without getting saccharine) love songs ever made (God Only Knows :love: ). No record collection is complete without it.
:bow:

Now, can someone else please recommend Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello & The Attractions? ;)

Californication-RHCP

One of the best albums of the late 90's Almost every track on the CD is a keeper. It shows great maturity from the Chili Peppers And A. Kedis's vocals are amazing.

Band -- Art of Fighting

Album -- Second Storey

I absolutely adore Art of Fighting. For me it's actually really hard to turn it off, and I often will listen to the two albums I have of theirs all day. The Amazon customer review (yep there is only one) pretty much summed up what I love about this album, so I'll just let you read that instead of writing the same thing a bit differently. :wink:

Like Augie March, Art of Fighting are an Australian band who lack the mainstream attention they deserve. Australia is getting into the habit of producing wistfully beautiful and elegant music, and Art of Fighting is no exception. This is their second major release, and, like its predecessor Wires, it is both lyrical and musical perfection. This music is beautiful and delicate and powerful at the same time. The first track, Along the Run, is a song of unspeakable brilliance and beauty, and sets the tone for what is a consistantly remarkable album. Every song until the closer, Heart Translation, is, again, for lack of a more appropriate word, purely beautiful. I cannot recommend this band highly enough. Deserves 100 stars in comparison to some of the other rubbish out there these days. Buy it, tell your mates about it, just listen to them somehow!

oasis - be here now

why do so many people hate this album?? definetly one of their top 2!

Run right out and buy When I Pretend to Fall by the Long Winters.

TLW offer something for everyone. "Prom Night at Hater High" and "New Girl" will appeal to the Fountains of Wayne or Sunny Day Real Estate fan in everyone with their crunchy, optimistic, alterna-poppy sounds. The Johnny Cash/alt.country aficionados will love "Bride and Bridle," a tale of crime, revenge, and lost love. Meanwhile, the loopy love song "Cinnamon" has a Travis-y/Frames-y feel to it. "Blue Diamonds" and "Shapes" are a bit fringy-er pop songs, kind of like a weird day with Oasis.

But the whole album is melodic and catchy and inventive, with great, memorable lyrics and some nice string sections (if that's your bag).

Back
Top Bottom