Recast Dune

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
So there's a new version of this coming out in a few years being helmed by Peter Berg, who hadn't made a bad film until Hancock, in my opinion. That begs the question, how would you cast this, fuckos?

Paul Atreides - Christian Bale... he's already Batman and John Conner, why not good 'ol Muad'dib?

I'd pick the preacher guy from There Will Be Blood to play Paul Atrides. I think the actor's name is Paul, so it's like he was born to play the part anyway. Done.

And his mother should be played Elisha Cuthbert. Kyle MacLachlin needs to be in there. Mickey Rourke as the fat bad guy AND one of the Worms.

Beav, you're correct, that's Paul Dano, who was also the older, silent brother in Little Miss Sunshine.

Bale's too old to play Paul, sadly.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Paul Atriedes
Clive Owen - Duke Leto Atriedes
Helen Mirren - Rev. Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Aaron Eckhart - Duncan Idaho
Ian McShane - Baron Harkonnen
Liam Neeson - Gurney Halleck
Michelle Williams - Chani
Tom Wilkinson - Thufir Hawat
Paul Schneider - Feyd-Rautha
Monica Bellucci - Lady Jessica
Timothy Olyphant - Stilgar

I actually gave this some thought.

I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to bet that this, right here, is my dorkiest moment, ever. And, frankly, that's saying something.

I've never seen Dune. True story.

It's an amazing book, actually, which has proven hard to adapt for the big screen or for TV.

There are a lot more books than the original in the Dune series...some by Frank Herbert, the author of Dune, some by his son, which are not nearly as good.

Bale's too old to play Paul, sadly.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Paul Atriedes
Clive Owen - Duke Leto Atriedes
Helen Mirren - Rev. Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Aaron Eckhart - Duncan Idaho
Ian McShane - Baron Harkonnen
Liam Neeson - Gurney Halleck
Michelle Williams - Chani
Tom Wilkinson - Thufir Hawat
Paul Schneider - Feyd-Rautha
Monica Bellucci - Lady Jessica
Timothy Olyphant - Stilgar

I actually gave this some thought.

I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to bet that this, right here, is my dorkiest moment, ever. And, frankly, that's saying something.

That's some inspired casting, I love all of them (especially Schindler as Gurney... nice) except for Clive Owen as Leto. Like you feel about Bale, I think he's not the right age. From my limited understanding of the series, here's how I'd roll:

Christian Bale - Paul Atriedes (I couldn't think of a suitable replacement here)
Daniel Day-Lewis - Duke Leto Atriedes
Helen Mirren - Rev. Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam (Can't argue with that pick and can't think of anything else)
Nathan Fillion - Duncan Idaho
Brian Cox - Baron Harkonnen
Willem Dafoe - Gurney Halleck
Natalie Portman - Chani
John C. Reilly - Thufir Hawat
Cillian Murphy - Feyd... lovely Feyd
Cate Blanchett - Lady Jessica
Chiwetel Ejiofor - Stilgar

Bale is 34, DDL is 51.

Gordon-Levitt is 27, Owen is 44.

Same age difference....but Paul is supposed to be a young adult, YLB, not man in his thirties.

Bale is 34, DDL is 51.

Gordon-Levitt is 27, Owen is 44.

Same age difference....but Paul is supposed to be a young adult, YLB, not man in his thirties.

Really now? I figured all of them to be a few years younger, except for DDL.

Beav's pick of Paul Dano sounds pretty spot-on to me then, but I wouldn't want to steal his glory like that.

I could live with Dano, but Gordon-Levitt seems a better fit to me....a little more charisma......

I haven't seen him in anything since Third Rock from the Sun.

I know, I know... I really need to see Brick and The Lookout.

Holy crapoli, I never noticed they were the same person until you mentioned it. Cwazy.

He's also in that horrid film The Girl Next Door, starring Emile Hirsch. I watched that film front to back, cannot remember why.....who else was in that film???.......

elisha-cuthbert.jpg

Oh.

I've tried watching Dune several times, none successful. One time I almost got past the part where some giant tumor-looking thing was wheeled out on a tray. Most times I could hardly get through the 40-minutes hand-drawn intro.

What a fucking boring movie.

I've tried watching Dune several times, none successful. One time I almost got past the part where some giant tumor-looking thing was wheeled out on a tray. Most times I could hardly get through the 40-minutes hand-drawn intro.

What a fucking boring movie.

A lot of people find it boring. Not me. I think it's a mess, but a mess I enjoy anyway.

"All I see, is a Lance I want to kill".

Back
Top Bottom