Reading Is Sexy: Books Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told to post in this thread by beegee a certain poster from Nevada. She accused me of being a reader. She may be correct.

Right now I'm reading a lovely old copy of Wordsworth, edited by Matthew Arnold, who wrote a preface damning Wordsworth with faint praise. Normally, I don't like poetry, but the narrative poems in this anthology are really lovely. I've just finished the lyrical poems section, and "Poems akin to the antique, and Odes" is the next section. The book is 120 years old and just wonderful, but too fragile to read at the table at Taco Surf.

Before this one, I devoured Wagner Without Fear by William Berger. I bought it up in Seattle when I was there for the Ring Cycle. His style is a little cheeky, but easy to read, well-researched, and very informative.

There. I posted. I'll be back.

Yay, another reader!

I read our own Cathalmc's book about his U2-life, and that was a fun read, especially since we're about the same age and so I could see how someone else's U2-life played out in somewhat the same timeframe.

It's Not Me, It's You by Stephanie Wilder-Taylor

Lightweight comedic memoir about the author's life in LA. Mostly entertaining and funny with a few dud chapters.

I'm reading Michael Crichton's "Congo." About 50 pages away from the end, and loving this book. :heart:

I went through a Crichton phase a long time ago....some of them were really good, some not so much but they all moved well.

I've been re-reading The Book of The Long Sun and the Book of the Short Sun. A few thousand pages worth of Wolfe. After, it's off to read In Cold Blood.

Congo is one of my favorite Crichtons, along with The Andromeda Strain. The only thing of his I haven't read is the global warming one. He's a bit of a guilty pleasure as he's not much of a stylist, but he's almost always thought-provoking.

Also, any James Ellroy fans here? I just found out his "Underworld USA" trilogy is finally wrapping up, as his new novel Blood's A Rover is coming out this month. SWEET.

I'm currently reading Jane Eyre.

No, but seriously, I'm actually reading a book entitled Jane Eyre. I took so many goddam literature classes in college and somehow I avoided ever being "assigned" Jane Eyre...despite all the references to it (being an important early text in terms of feminism, Victorian and Gothic stylings, unrequited love, etc.) that my professors made.

So far, about 60 pages in, it's cool.

I've re-read Pushkin's Eugene Onegin, in original Russian. It's a bit of a shame that you can only truly appreciate the genius of some books once you thoroughly forget the tedium of literature classes and compulsory reading back at school.

^Exactly how I felt about Steinbeck last summer.

I read way more since I walked away from ever listening to practiced and false 'analysis' of books. Now it's likely I could end up as an English teacher... I just really want kids to find something they want to read and take their own perspective, or help them to look as closely at what the author might have meant as possible, and possibly LIKE reading in the first place, because I tell you my generation does not by and large.

I haven't read it before.

I'm 61 pages in (she just got to the school) and I think I have a crush on Jane, too.

Wordsworth is concluded. It takes effort for me to read poetry; thank goodness Wordsworth is as astonishing as he is. I found I had to read it aloud to get the concentration to hold enough to find the meaning.

I read so much history and memoir this summer, that now some fiction is in order, specifically Barbara Pym. It was a toss-up between Excellent Women and Jane and Prudence, but Excellent Women has prevailed.

Stephen Baxter's Evolution--the novel takes you through the time of early primates to millions of years into the future, focusing on representative primates through the evolution process--kind of like a Michener on primates but over a vaster geographic area.

Where the Blind Horse Sings--nonfiction story of the varying animals--horses, pigs, goats, ducks, etc.--at an animal rescue sanctuary. The writing is mundane but the stories are sweet.

^^^ I'd like to read that! Let me know how it goes.

I'm tracking down a copy of A lucky child and will begin that once I do. I can't remember the last time I was this intrigued by someone's story.

Lucky Child

I'm also reading 206 Bones which is the latest Kathy Reichs. She's become awfully predictable, as do any authors who churn out the titles at such a rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom