Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not refusing to read Wolfe, I've just got such a backlog of shit that I haven't been buying anything lately. But I'll keep it in mind next time I hit up a used book store.

The Powers book you seem most interested in is Last Call. The book after that is Expiration Date, and then there's a book that's kind of a sequel to both (though the first two aren't connected) called Earthquake Weather.

Skip over the shit, buy the Books of the New Sun and thank me later.

I'll check out Last Call, but it has to get in line, as opposed to the Anubis Gates, which I bumped all the way to the front in honor of you.

I'm currently reading Beowulf

...in Old English. :crack:

In High School the English Teacher had us watch a video of some dude reading Beowulf in Old English. They went on to say that the story was usually told with musical accompaniment. So the guy breaks out a lute or a lyre or whatever it was - it looked like a mandolin - anyway, he was just playing quick little notes and singing the story in olde english - and as geeky as this may sound - it was sorta awesome. That day I taught myself how to play the "Beowulf Accompanient Music in Old Enlighs Song." I'm an awful guitar player, and I can't even play Wish You Were Here or Over The Hills and Far Away from beginning to end - but I can play me some fucking Beofulw. I still bust that shit out now and then and people are like, "WTF is that?" And I say, "Beowulf," (I just keep saying "Beowulf Beowulf Beowulf Beowulf vine an ang cykinning" over and over.) Some people laugh but most people just look at me confusedly. Admittedly, it's pretty weird. I've never met anyone that sings a Beowulf song. I bet there's a Prog Beowulf song - isn't there?

Wow - that was really long, sorry.

Last edited:
In High School the English Teacher had us watch a video of some dude reading Beowulf in Old English. They went on to say that the story was usually told with musical accompaniment. So the guy breaks out a lute or a lyre or whatever it was - it looked like a mandolin - anyway, he was just playing quick little notes and singing the story in olde english - and as geeky as this may sound - it was sorta awesome. That day I taught myself how to play the "Beowulf Accompanient Music in Old Enlighs Song." I'm an awful guitar player, and I can't even play Wish You Were Here or Over The Hills and Far Away from beginning to end - but I can play me some fucking Beofulw. I still bust that shit out now and then and people are like, "WTF is that?" And I say, "Beowulf," (I just keep saying "Beowulf Beowulf Beowulf Beowulf vine an ang cykinning" over and over.) Some people laugh but most people just look at me confusedly. Admittedly, it's pretty weird. I've never met anyone that sings a Beowulf song. I bet there's a Prog Beowulf song - isn't there?

Wow - that was really long, sorry.

Whore.

I'm not coming to pick you up, if that's what you're heading.

My Dad offered to do that. Yeah, Dad, please drive to Queens, drop me at some bar in the fucking Meat Packing district, then toddle off back home.

A Cab will do just fine. No, I just figured that you wanted to know that by the time I land, you'll have contracted some exotic diseas.

back on track. Finally getting around to David Benioff's City of Thieves, liking it a lot so far.

#62 Kissing In Manhattan by David Schickler

Short stories featuring characters that appear in other stories in the book, some in minor roles, others as starring characters.

I used to not be a big fan of short stories, but over the past few years I've started enjoying them a bit more. This one was definitely a keeper.

This fucking thread almost got bumped to page two of the LS threads. Not good. Not good at all.

Reading something called Altered Carbon currently. Laz, you might like it....kind of Gibson-esque. Noirish, too, which is fun.

Prior to that, plowed through Axis by Robert Charles Wilson. Not nearly as good as its predecessor, Axis, but still a decent read.

I'm curious to hear what you think of it! :)

#63 Everyone Else's Girl by Megan Crane

Mediocre chick lit about finding one's self and figuring out what kind of person you want to be. A bit of a snooze, with characters bordering on the wrong side of unlikeable.

That's what I wondered, too! My guess is that it's not a coincidence, but there's no mention of Tori Amos in the book.

My week of school hell has finally ended, no homework tonight, and no class after tomorrow til Monday, it's time to finally get back to A Clash of Kings. I feel like I started reading it months ago...and I think it's because I did :sigh:

I am reading the second part, ie books 3 and 4, of the Gene Wolfe work Books of the New Sun. I have pretty much no idea what's going on, but it's still badass and I will continue reading it.

I heard this guy sucks, and that his fans suck even more.

Currently reading Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest, supposedly the inspiration for Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars, among other films.

After that I move on to Hammett's The Glass Key.

hey sometimes I read too! Ive finished couple of really good books in the past and currently reading one.

tell me this, if someone wants to share - do you absolutely take an hour or two out everyday to read/ or only read in spare time or at weekends/quiet times etc?

:wave:

Today I bought The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, I got a bit bored and lost with Lolita. (I'm going to star again later)

I'm pretty excited to read it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom