Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lolita is one of my favorites, too.

I took a Nabokov class in college. We ran through almost all of his novels. Dude is a legend, I'm a big fan of his writing style.

Lolita is one of my favorites, too.

I took a Nabokov class in college. We ran through almost all of his novels. Dude is a legend, I'm a big fan of his writing style.

I'm going to assume that when you signed up for the class, you were assuming the subject matter of all his books would be like Lolita.

Glad you liked it anyway.

That must have been quite a class, GAF.

I actually collect copies of Lolita, different covers and publications.

I recently came across this little beauty but I think I'll just stick to scouring used book stores and ebay :wink:

I remember you saying before that you collected different editions of Lolita. Everytime I see a copy of it, I think, 'I wonder if beegee has that one...' :hmm:

I am almost finished with Poisonwood Bible.

Last night I reached the part with Ruth May. Now, I don't cry when I watch movies and I certainly don't cry when I read books but when the mother brought the little one in and started bathing her I had tears streaming down my face. Then the mother brought all the furniture outside, oh man. I actually had to put the book down a couple of times.

I am almost finished with Poisonwood Bible.

Last night I reached the part with Ruth May. Now, I don't cry when I watch movies and I certainly don't cry when I read books but when the mother brought the little one in and started bathing her I had tears streaming down my face. Then the mother brought all the furniture outside, oh man. I actually had to put the book down a couple of times.

I really liked Poisonwood Bible. It was assigned reading in my English class Senior year of High School. It's a beautifully written book. And I'm kind of a sucker for the heavy religious overtones and imagery.

Today I bought Dreams from My Father, Obama's autobiography. I'm really looking forward to getting into it. Has anyone read this?

Yeah that one's already published and it's selling pretty well. I'm working on the sequels The Kegger in the Rye and The Rum Also Rises.

Don't bring my husband into this.:angry:

You sad little woman, you married a Redskins fan.

The Anubis Gates:

I'm not at all good at reviewing books or films or music, I usually stick to "I loved it" or "I hated it", because I'm a simple/stupid person with a severely limited vocabulary at my disposal, so, Father of Lance, forgive the shitty review.

I have not read many time travel books, but this was pretty unique. Not at all bogged down in the science of it, which was a relief. The book managed to keep a very entertaining story going at a brisk pace, while not sacrificing twists and turns or even ideas. Also, woven seamlessly into the story are actual historical figures from one of the periods of time the hero traveled to. I also liked how the hero was very much a regular guy, and he endured a whole hell of a lot of pain and confusion as the book progressed. One fictional character is well done enough to make you think that he might have been a contemporary of some of the other characters. The author also has a great sense of humor, but it was not in the vein of a Terry Pratchett, where the humor almost takes over.

Lastly, the cast of characters itself is impressive, with everything from poets to millionaires to Egyptian sorcerers to thieves/beggars tossed in, as well as a clown, of course. Oh, and, a sort of doppelganger/werewolf too.

So, this was a fun read, I'd recommend it to anyone that was not immediately scared off by the fantasy/sci-fi stigma. Very entertaining, keeps you guessing and moves along quickly.

Awesome. Not sure what to recommend next by Powers. You have a pirate story that involves Blackbeard and the search for the Fountain of Youth, a story about the Romantic poets Shelley, Byron and Keats involved with a female vampire spirit, or a story about Vegas, the mob, and the Fisher King myth.

One of those would probably be good.

Awesome. Not sure what to recommend next by Powers. You have a pirate story that involves Blackbeard and the search for the Fountain of Youth, a story about the Romantic poets Shelley, Byron and Keats involved with a female vampire spirit, or a story about Vegas, the mob, and the Fisher King myth.

One of those would probably be good.

I think the last one sounds best.

By the way, if you refuse to read Wolfe because you're scared off by how awesome he is, try Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

I'm not refusing to read Wolfe, I've just got such a backlog of shit that I haven't been buying anything lately. But I'll keep it in mind next time I hit up a used book store.

The Powers book you seem most interested in is Last Call. The book after that is Expiration Date, and then there's a book that's kind of a sequel to both (though the first two aren't connected) called Earthquake Weather.

I finished The Bell Jar just now, and it was amazing. It starts out a bit slow, but once you get drawn into Esther's head the slow, meandering pace becomes addictive. The way she describes her mental anguish is riveting and you feel like you're watching someone slowly unravel. The writing was so descriptive that it allowed me to picture every scene as it played out in my mind's eye. That's the mark of a great story. I'm about to start another book called "The Way We Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap" by Stephanie Coontz. It's a look back at families of the past 2 centuries, concentrating on the post World War II period up to the cultural changes of the 60s. I'm really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom