Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhh, yeah...the ending...

Good luck. You're entering a world of pain.

I've heard it suggested that the best thing to do after finishing the book is to read the first 50 pages or so again.

You know, if you want to make some sense of it.

Awesome. That's the kind of thing I like to hear. I've been expecting a fucked up ending anyway, between what a couple people have mentioned and just the tone of the book in general.

"What Happens When We Die" by Dr. Sam Parnia.

It´s basically a study into the nature of life and death. It gathers the accounts of the experiences that patients had while clinically at the point of death. Dr. Parnia analises the near-death experiences that his patients had when having cardiac arrests and relate them to what happened to the brain at that very same point. His studies tell us a lot about the nature of consciousness. It´s a fantastic book.

As you can tell, I´m a frustrated doctor. :reject:

"The Slap" . . . Christos Tsiolkas

had a huge amount of publicity here in Oz - up for all sorts of literary prizes

interesting read - quite confronting in that I recognised myself in a lot of the characters and that can be an uncomfortable feeling when the protagonists are not necessarily the easiest characters to like

interesting premise . . . typical suburban barbeque in melbourne backyard ends abruptly when a character slaps a child that is not their own

author then delves into the after affects of this event and explores several characters reactions and lives after the event

if you get the opportunity to read it, I would - not earth shattering but a lovely complex study of a small slice of modern australian life :)

"The Kite Runner"

Excellent! I felt every emotion possible while reading this book. Sadness, hate, anger, excitement, yearning, you name it. The character Assef is the most evil character I ever came across in a story, I totally hate him.

Now, I am onto "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd.

I'm halfway through Columbine by Dave Cullen.

Not an easy read, I actually had to put it down a few times last night, but it's interesting to see how different these boys actually were (prior to the killings) as opposed to the image the media gave them.

Of all the books I've read lately, the Yiddish Policeman's Union would be my favorite.

Also finally got to Black Swan Green and Ghostwritten, both by David Mitchell, which were excellent.

Re: King....he's hit or miss for me, but when he hits I love it....The Stand would be my favorite book of his, by far.

I need to get to Infinite Jest, been staring at it for months now when I choose what to read next.

I'm halfway through Columbine by Dave Cullen.

I've been thinking about checking that out - maybe I'll put it on hold at the library and see if I'm ready to read it when it finally comes around my way.

Of all the books I've read lately, the Yiddish Policeman's Union would be my favorite.

I need to get to Infinite Jest, been staring at it for months now when I choose what to read next.

Good to hear re: Chabon - that's been on my shelf for a while.

I need to keep an eye out for a used copy of IJ; I'd definitely like to give it a try one of these days.

I've been thinking about checking that out - maybe I'll put it on hold at the library and see if I'm ready to read it when it finally comes around my way.

Good to hear re: Chabon - that's been on my shelf for a while.

I need to keep an eye out for a used copy of IJ; I'd definitely like to give it a try one of these days.

I've read three Chabon books and have liked them all very much.

I loved Kavalier and Clay, enjoyed Wonder Boys and honestly don't remember what I thought of The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, which I think was the first one I read of his.

"The Kite Runner"

Excellent! I felt every emotion possible while reading this book. Sadness, hate, anger, excitement, yearning, you name it. The character Assef is the most evil character I ever came across in a story, I totally hate him.

I loved that book! It´s fantastic. If you haven´t read it yet, you should read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom