Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading Edward Rutherford's The Princes od Ireland-The Dublin Saga" which is Part I in a 2 book series. Next up will be Rutherford's "The Rebels of Ireland-The Dublin Saga".

I just finished Mistaken Identity written by the families of two college girls who were in a major accident together. One family buried a daughter and one family sat next to a daughter while she was in a coma for five weeks. Turns out it was the wrong daughters. I seriously couldn't believe most of what I was reading. Such a sad story.

I just finished Mistaken Identity written by the families of two college girls who were in a major accident together. One family buried a daughter and one family sat next to a daughter while she was in a coma for five weeks. Turns out it was the wrong daughters. I seriously couldn't believe most of what I was reading. Such a sad story.

I heard about that in the news, didn't realize a book was written about it :(

Just finished Shantaram, possibly now one of my favourite novels ever. I thought it was written spectacularly well, it was a tough one to put down :up:

Everyone must read MAUS by Art Spiegelman. Now!

Also, Gaiman is one of the best prose writers of all time!

Best,
Jason

Someone in here recommended Tim Powers, so I bought Anubis Gates and skipped it to the head of the line, am about 40 pages in. Such is my level of respect for some of the posters in this thread.

Very impressed. And honored.

Don't know if I wrote this before, but it's the best time travel book I've ever read. Let me know when you're done, as you'll likely want to get more of his stuff.

About 3/5 through his newest now.

Very impressed. And honored.

Don't know if I wrote this before, but it's the best time travel book I've ever read. Let me know when you're done, as you'll likely want to get more of his stuff.

About 3/5 through his newest now.

I will, and, perhaps one day you'll heed one of the few bits of advice I've gone out of my way to give to you and read some Gene Wolfe.

I've not read too many time travel books, now that I think about it....Time Traveler's Wife was a recent one......

I finished that Langston Hughes book, and I had Sword & Citadel all ready to go, and then a neighbor lent me a book on Zen Mind, so I'm reading that now. I don't like having things in my possession that people lend me, so I have to read it and give it back pronto - I don't need that pressure hanging over my head. Then I'll read S&C by George "ARE YOU FUCKING CONFUSED AS SHIT YET" Wolfe.

I finished that Langston Hughes book, and I had Sword & Citadel all ready to go, and then a neighbor lent me a book on Zen Mind, so I'm reading that now. I don't like having things in my possession that people lend me, so I have to read it and give it back pronto - I don't need that pressure hanging over my head. Then I'll read S&C by George "ARE YOU FUCKING CONFUSED AS SHIT YET" Wolfe.

weird- I just heard someone talk about reading this book yesterday.
I'm curious what you'll think of it. Do you think the zen masters have started competing for book deals, speaking tours...

He's not all that confusing. Sometimes.

I just started "Fear of Flying" by Erica Jong, and I'm really liking it. I can see how it was so influential to women of its time period, who wanted more from life than just being a housewife and being a second class citizen. Have any of you read it?

I'm currently reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

It's the first book of hers that I've read.

It's written so beautifully, I wish I had discovered her books years ago.

I've really liked everything I've read by Kingsolver; The Poisonwood Bible was the first one I read as well. I don't remember specifics, but I remember being disappointed by the ending, or last part of the book. But overall, I really liked it.

weird- I just heard someone talk about reading this book yesterday.
I'm curious what you'll think of it. Do you think the zen masters have started competing for book deals, speaking tours...

It's some slow reading, I'll say that. You really need to sit back and take it in. Which is not to take it in. Which is to say, I am taking it in by not taking it in. That is how you will learn the way to take it in. This is how we practice zazen.

I tried to sit with foot on top of knee and I totally fucked up my knee. True story. Now both my knees are shot. Which is to say I have no knees. Which is how we practice zazen.

:angry: This zen shit is kinda pissing me off. Which is counter productive, I would think. So I guess I'm kinda on the right path.....or some shit. I dunno. I'm just glad I didn't pay for the fucking book.

Bah, so young.

Fucking suicide.

I hate it.

This just completely caught me off-guard. I've been at work for like 13 hours and did not expect to find about such a thing in this thread. I really really enjoyed his work. Makes it no less or more tragic, of course, in the grand scheme of things, but, yeah, I'm sort of blind-sided and pretty fucking bummed.

I've really liked everything I've read by Kingsolver; The Poisonwood Bible was the first one I read as well. I don't remember specifics, but I remember being disappointed by the ending, or last part of the book. But overall, I really liked it.

One of my favorite books, but the ending for one of the characters did piss me off and I can only remember vaguely why.

Beav, being zen makes you unzen and that's the problem. You can't try or actively use your mind which makes it hard to ...well read. Try putting it under your pillow. Someone told me I could absorb my chemistry book that way, it didn't work :angry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom