Rattled By The Rush - Communist Sun God Worshippers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting all the time seems very formal to me. Like we're at a seminar or something...

"Ms. Cassie, you said precisely this: "

Or...

"Ms. Zee, this is exactly what you said..."

:lol:

:lmao: I can see that...

I'm going to keep doing it for consistency though. :wink:

:wave: Emma! How did your New Year's turn out? :wink: I don't think I've seen you in here since then...:hmm:

Cassie! :lol: I had a good new years, thanks, you? The illegal substances punch didn't work out too well to be honest... should have gone with the peanut butter method damnit :madwife:

Cassie! :lol: I had a good new years, thanks, you? The illegal substances punch didn't work out too well to be honest... should have gone with the peanut butter method damnit :madwife:

:lol: Oh well, there's always next year, right? :wink:

My New Year's was great, actually. I didn't go out and party or anything, just hung out with a few friends from Minneapolis during the day, then hung out with my best friend from up there for the rest of the night watching Tropic Thunder and chatting. :up: Oh, and we sparked one up right at 12:00. :lol: 'Twas a great way to bring in the new year. :wink:

And now that Emma is here, who's up for a serious discussion? I have a topic in mind based on the book that is currently (again) captivating my brain...

And now that Emma is here, who's up for a serious discussion? I have a topic in mind based on the book that is currently (again) captivating my brain...

:hyper: I'll contribute as much as I can until 6, then I have to go to my sisters' gymnastics meet. :lol:

Oui oui, lets!

:lol: Oh well, there's always next year, right? :wink:

My New Year's was great, actually. I didn't go out and party or anything, just hung out with a few friends from Minneapolis during the day, then hung out with my best friend from up there for the rest of the night watching Tropic Thunder and chatting. :up: Oh, and we sparked one up right at 12:00. :lol: 'Twas a great way to bring in the new year. :wink:

That sounds pretty cool, much more eventful than my new year anyway :up:

All right - esp for being women and for Justin who loves and appreciates women - I was reading about how women were villified in the early days of Christianity, and how you never see a woman priest or any religious female leader in any religion. Traditionally women have been the "left" side and man has been the "right" side. Right - righteousness, etc whereas left is the side of the Devil.

Discuss.

A record 5 million women were burnt at the stake... The Catholic Inquisition demanded any learned, knowledgeable woman be killed instantly.

That sounds pretty cool, much more eventful than my new year anyway :up:

:lol: Eventful, not so much, but it was definitely the perfect way for me to ring in the New Year.

All right - esp for being women and for Justin who loves and appreciates women - I was reading about how women were villified in the early days of Christianity, and how you never see a woman priest or any religious female leader in any religion. Traditionally women have been the "left" side and man has been the "right" side. Right - righteousness, etc whereas left is the side of the Devil.

Discuss.

I think it's a remnant of Eve and how she was "disobedient" and moved to the Devil's side (sort of) in the Garden of Eden. And, that was an excuse used to justify sexism back then. Religion was feared then, so if the Bible insinuated that women were evil, it would make sense that followers of that religion would also adhere to that belief.

:lol: Monica :madwife:

Discuss.

I don't think this issue is Christianity specific - it's a matter of Women having the power (being able to bear children) and thus men always having seen this as a threat to themselves. They feel weak when faced with this unfathomable thing we can do, and have therefore always acted defensively and sought to oppress us. Why would men give us MORE power than we already have by electing us to posts of Priest and Leader etc?
This is an age old issue - persecute those who are different, oppress those you see as a threat, seek to be on top and stay there. Men have always sought to 'be on top' and that means keeping women far below them.

Discuss.

:lol: at the first part of your post. :wink:

I have a theory on that. I think women because they have children are subconsciously looked at as a symbol of mortality. Mortality brings doubt to a person's faith. So in turn, women might represent doubt. In a religion, the leaders must symbolize belief. There is a sexist side to it but I feel a large part of it is the image of doubt.

:lol: Monica :madwife:
I don't think this issue is Christianity specific - it's a matter of Women having the power (being able to bear children) and thus men always having seen this as a threat to themselves. They feel weak when faced with this unfathomable thing we can do, and have therefore always acted defensively and sought to oppress us. Why would men give us MORE power than we already have by electing us to posts of Priest and Leader etc?
This is an age old issue - persecute those who are different, oppress those you see as a threat, seek to be on top and stay there. Men have always sought to 'be on top' and that means keeping women far below them.

No it's not Christianity- specific - there are no women Orthodox rabbis, no women Islamic clerics. Besides childbirth there's also people who feel that women are "unclean" during certain times. I mean, it's all a part of nature so I fail to comprehend why something that has been occuring since the first woman is considered unnatural and unclean and whatever. But they also argue that there is nothing as dangerous as a knowledgeable woman. Hence women have been erased from history, including religious history.

:lol: at the first part of your post. :wink:

I have a theory on that. I think women because they have children are subconsciously looked at as a symbol of mortality. Mortality brings doubt to a person's faith. So in turn, women might represent doubt. In a religion, the leaders must symbolize belief. There is a sexist side to it but I feel a large part of it is the image of doubt.

Isn't the first part of my post true? :wink:

It is sexist yes, but as I just said, an educated woman is considered more dangerous. WHY? Are we destructive when we're educated?

It is sexist yes, but as I just said, an educated woman is considered more dangerous. WHY? Are we destructive when we're educated?

Not necessarily, but it's a power struggle. The fewer things that are male-specific or male-dominated, the less power that lies with males. After being the majority and "in power," if we want to call it that, for so many hundreds of years, I can imagine that they would want to keep as much power as possible.

Isn't the first part of my post true? :wink:

Of course. :D

Women are considered more dangerous because women are change. Like Emma pointed out, women have this power of childbirth. Childbirth is the ultimate change because youth will always overthrow the old. That is life. By its very nature, change is destructive and the unknown but that can be a good thing. Unfortunately, the unknown scares the hell out of people and they come to fear it.

I hope that makes sense. :wink:

Sad really, all of this. And it's still continuing, it's been going on for thousands of years and it's still going on.

Of course. :D

Women are considered more dangerous because women are change. Like Emma pointed out, women have this power of childbirth. Childbirth is the ultimate change because youth will always overthrow the old. That is life. By its very nature, change is destructive and the unknown but that can be a good thing. Unfortunately, the unknown scares the hell out of people and they come to fear it.

I hope that makes sense. :wink:

I couldn't agree more with this post - that's the route of fear, change. The unknown. It scares people - men - and what they fear, they automatically demonise.

And so the way to deal with this fear is to erase and eradicate women from as many places as they can? From history even.... I was also reading on the massive witch hunts that took place in Europe. If a woman had a mole or a beauty mark, it would be tested, ie: pricked. If it bled, she was human, if it didn't she was a witch. Sometimes they were so stringent that if a woman did have any birthmarks or moles, it would be known as the sign of the devil and she'd be burnt at stake.

I couldn't agree more with this post - that's the route of fear, change. The unknown. It scares people - men - and what they fear, they automatically demonise.

:up: We shouldn't fear the unknown. We shouldn't let the fear of it drive us to this. The unknown should be embraced and should drive us to closer to our own humanity.

And so the way to deal with this fear is to erase and eradicate women from as many places as they can? From history even.... I was also reading on the massive witch hunts that took place in Europe. If a woman had a mole or a beauty mark, it would be tested, ie: pricked. If it bled, she was human, if it didn't she was a witch. Sometimes they were so stringent that if a woman did have any birthmarks or moles, it would be known as the sign of the devil and she'd be burnt at stake.

I feel this fear of evil is actually a fear of ourselves, to be honest. We fear the darkness in ourselves but as we run from it, it's that same fear that brings the darkness out. We see the effects of that is cases like the one you mentioned.

:wave: I'm off for the night. Have a good one everybody!

:wave: Bye Cassie.

Yeah I agree... At least society has advanced from Medieval times to that we don't have actual witch hunts anymore. But still... it's all very well for us to yell that things need to change. But how can they ever? As long as humans have this mentality that we have... :tsk:

Yeah I agree... At least society has advanced from Medieval times to that we don't have actual witch hunts anymore. But still... it's all very well for us to yell that things need to change. But how can they ever? As long as humans have this mentality that we have... :tsk:

I believe in humanity. You should judge a race by their dreamers. So we can't stop dreaming and pushing for a better future. We are the hope that our children's children will have wished for far into the future. We have a responsibility to never stop dreaming. That's how we can change the mentality and become who we all wish humankind was. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom