Rate Your 2006 Gigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacPhistoPT

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Add comments if you have time for it... I can't do it now, maybe I'll make comments on some of the gigs later.

18/05
Arctic Monkeys 9/10

26/05
Alice in Chains 10/10
Deftones 3/10
Placebo 6/10
Tool 8.5/10

27/05
Xutos e Pontapés (portuguese) 9/10
The Darkness 0.5/10
Guns N' Roses 7.5/10

03/06
Kasabian 8/10
Da Weasel (portuguese) 7/10
Red Hot Chili Peppers 9/10

04/09
Pearl Jam 10.1/10

05/09
Pearl Jam 10000000000000000/10

04/10
Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals 8/10

26/10
Muse 10/10

05/11
Tool 9/10

25/11
Linda Martini (portuguese) 8/10

16/12
Xutos e Pontapés (portuguese) 8.5/10

30/12
Vicious 5 (portuguese) 7/10

MacPhistoPT said:
Add comments if you have time for it... I can't do it now, maybe I'll make comments on some of the gigs later.

The Darkness 0.5/10

Yikes! They must have really sucked! :yikes:

3/18 Dropkick Murphys 8.5/10
4/12 Death Cab 2/10
Franz Ferdinand 8/10
6/?? Dave Matthews Band 9/10
7/22 Dropkick Murphys 9/10
8/5 Muse 10/10
10/? Black Label Society 8/10
11/? Cheap Trick 5/10

2005 was much better with U2 (x3), Green Day, Foo Fighters/Weezer

3/19
David Gray - 10/10
Aqualung - 9/10

4/22
Trespassers William - 5/10 (lots of technical problems including a power failure, venue's fault)

7/31
Pete Yorn - 9.5/10

12/9
U2 - 11/10
Pearl Jam - 5/10 (try as I might, I just can't make myself like Pearl Jam that much)

Don't remember all of them, but here are the ones that immediately come to mind:

Bruce Springsteen / Seeger Sessions Band - Fucking amazing, I was in the third row (have been closer in the past but this was cool, too), and I'm sorry more people weren't willing to go with him on this. 10/10 and then some.

Fiona Apple - She blew me away, period. That girl can sing. I felt emotionally exhausted after that show. :up: 10/10

Tom Petty - Not as good live as I'd hoped. Some assholes who were next to us on the lawn added to my non-enjoyment of the show, but overall he was pretty dissapointing. Major highlight for me was when Stevie Nicks came out and joined him for Stop Draggin My Heart Around. That was a :drool: moment. 6.5/10

Snow Patrol - Had an awesome time at this one. Love these guys and it was worth the wait after having the original date postponed due to Gary's throat. Sounded amazing and I'm going to see them again in April. :hyper: 10/10

Bob Dylan w/ Foo Fighters opening accoustic - Foos were great, just about on par with Dylan himself. When he came out I literally felt chills collectively ripple throughout the arena. I love what he does to his songs live, and next time he plays a small theatre or a baseball field I'm so there. 10/10

The Strokes - 8/10 - Great performances although i would have preferred to be a bit closer to the front. Having said that though, the Manchester Apollo is the best venue i've been to. It's got a quite retro feel to it with the decor and the standing area is on a slightly downward slope so everyone can see the stage.

Graham Coxon - 9/10 - really surprised how much i enjoyed this gig. I was pretty close to the front, he talked to the crowd and did 2 encores. Some of the songs i didn't know but over all a great gig.

Take That - 10/10 - Best gig i've ever been to. Really. 3 rows from the front. They did all their greatest hits included a Beatles medely. Lots of money had been spent on the show as it was very well rehearsed and the lighting was great. Never Forget was the last song :drool:

Albert Hammond Jr - 7/10 - I was at the back and didn't know most of the songs as his album wasn't out at the time but the songs were good and i may well get the album.

1stepcloser said:

Take That - 10/10 - Best gig i've ever been to. Really. 3 rows from the front. They did all their greatest hits included a Beatles medely. Lots of money had been spent on the show as it was very well rehearsed and the lighting was great. Never Forget was the last song :drool:

I am very jealous.

I was in Spain when the Take That tickets came out/concert was played here :sad:

What was it like being so close to them all (especially Mark)? :drool:

I didn't go any concerts in 2006. I usually go to a few gigs every year. I had tickets to see RHCP in Barcelona but couldn't go and then Nerina Pallot was rescheduled until Febuary.

I've been to 2 shows, Tori Amos and Charlotte Church :love:

Both were ace :yes:

Lara Mullen said:

I am very jealous.

I was in Spain when the Take That tickets came out/concert was played here :sad:

What was it like being so close to them all (especially Mark)? :drool:

Was awesome, my mate got a pat on the back from Gary Barlow and wouldn't shut up about it on the way home. The performance of Could It Be Magic had them dancing while water was being poured on them from above and 'cos we were so close they started kicking the water out over the people at he front. Howard nailed me with some of it so i gave him a couple of V signs but i don't think he noticed. I'm gonna get him back one of these days...

I went to my first two concerts ever this year, and the first was definately better.

AFI-was expecting them to play longer and the opening acts were ok, but it was amazing for a first concert! My chest hurt for about a week from all the screaming I did 9/10

Thrice-in the front row and center, I got all kinds of molested for a band I'm not crazy about. Didnt know most of the songs and couldn't breathe. Opening acts were awful too 4.5/10

Roger Waters, September 18: 9/10. The fact that I felt like hell somewhat detracted from this show.

The Who, September 29: 10/10. The energy level out of Pete was unbelievable, and Roger sounded great. I have never a seen a crowd reaction as strong as I did for Baba O'Riley. The entire place just went wild.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Bruce Springsteen / Seeger Sessions Band - Fucking amazing, I was in the third row (have been closer in the past but this was cool, too), and I'm sorry more people weren't willing to go with him on this. 10/10 and then some.

I couldn't agree more. 10/10 for me, too.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Snow Patrol - Had an awesome time at this one. Love these guys and it was worth the wait after having the original date postponed due to Gary's throat. Sounded amazing and I'm going to see them again in April. :hyper: 10/10

:up: and 10/10 for me as well.

Stars - I'm so glad I was able to check them out at the beginning of 2006 before their last tour ended. Small club, great atmosphere, great band. 10/10

I can't even remember if I saw anything else this past year, but those three shows stand out.

6/19: Radiohead-8/10

My first time ever seeing the band was a great show, but the setlist wasn't one that I liked an they played one of the few songs I actually don't like (bones). the band still put on a damn good show

6/20: Radiohead-9.8/10

5th row seats, the premier of "All I Need," coupled with a solid setlist and another great performance by the band made it my favorite show of the year

7/5: Wilco-7/10

This was a festival show, so that limited the band to a shorter show and I couldn't even see the band myself because of my seats; but the band played well and played almost every song I wanted to hear in their short set (good because it was my first time hearing them)

9/26: The Who-8/10

I had low expectations for this show, but I was pleasantly surprised with how it went. I liked the new songs and they played great versions of old classics (even if thats not what I wanted to hear). Roger Daultry lost his voice the last third of the show so that brought it down a little bit for me, but overall very solid.

10/27: Bob Dylan-9.5/10

I had roughly 8th row seats, his voice was the best I'd ever heard it in 3 shows and it was far and away the best setlist he had played. One of the best concert experiences of my life, too bad he played a terrible version of all along the watchtower to close the show, an the length of the show was about 30 minutes less than what I prefer (even if its standard for dylan)

11/24: Wilco-9.2/10

A great show, I had good seats and they played an extended set (25 songs). Played Sunken Treasure which was great, and I enjoyed much of the setlist. Main complaint is about the loud and obnoxious people in front of me and a lot of repeats from the last time I saw them

11/25: Wilco-8.5/10

A good show, but I set me expectations kind of high for their last show of the year, and they just played a pretty normal show. A debut of a new song was cool, and most of the performances were good. I still think they play too many of the same songs every night, but I was still satisfied with the show

Saw Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Depeche Mode and The Unforgettable Fire (U2 Tribute Band). All were pretty much 10/10.

Oh fun!

Backstreet Boys - 8/10 (Come on - they played 'Shape Of My Heart'!!)

Take That - 9/10

Coldplay - 6/10

Darren Hayes - 10/10

U2 (Syd 1) - 8/10

Kylie - 10/10 (First show of the comeback tour - magic night - best crowd ever)

U2 (Syd 3) - 10/10

Robbie Williams - 8/10

I'm sure I saw more - so i'll come back to this. Best night of the year though was the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - getting to wave my Aussie and South African flags around like a loon, Delta Goodrem, Cat Empire, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and The Saints at the same event - and in my hometown!! - PRICELESS!!

Last edited:
Great gig year for me!

The Whitlams (corner) - 10/10 timmy plays like no one else
The Whitlams (espy) - 9/10 crap crowd but great timmy
Josh Pyke - 8/10 bit of a road trip, but totally worth it
Josh Pyke - 10/10 gawd i love the josh!
Coldplay - 9/10 great show, but not THE BEST
Secret Garden - 9/10 not used to the 'subdued' crowd
Jamiroquai - 10/10 PUMPING
U2 - 10/10 first night - breaktaking,, cried when they came out, danced in the rain with all of GA heard WALK ON
U2 - 10/10 second night - magnificent they played Stuck and IALW! I cried
U2 - 10/10 front row, getting some adam loving, sexy casbah and the BEST VIEW
U2 - 10/10 last night, BAD! cried, danced, sung till i lost my voice

an awesome year for me
:drool: :drool:
PS thatsnotmypuppy you saw Darren's Big Night In? I am so jealous....I was devestated when he only annouced Sydney, well devo and fucking pisse doff! But thats another story! hehehe

EDIT: Actually I think Jamiroquai was last year :scratch:

This was a great gig year for me, all scores are gonna be 10/10 or veeeeeerrrry close: :wink:

2 March: Marty Willson-Piper solo: very, very intimate pub, a very chatty MWP, great songs, veerrry mesmerising eyes.....

5 April: Hothouse Flowers: great band, great crowd, great Liam, what more can you want!

8 April: Daniel Lanois: a pleasant surprise, didn't know a whole lot about his music, but was just blown away by his expertise and enjoyment at playing, and after, how humble a man he is.

14 June: Split Enz - Reunion Tour!!! Nothing to add!

5 July: Coldplay: Wow! Chris Martin had so much energy to burn he coulda powered his lighting rig!

29 September: The Church: electric again, MWP was firing and Steve despite illness was chatty and having fun. Extra long show which was a nice surprise.

Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3, with Peter Buck of REM: Words are not enough to say how much I loved this show. Robyn, what a showman, and to be 2 feet away from Peter Buck, gaaaah. And to meet him after and find out he too has no rock star vibes about him at all.

16 November: U2: First show after 8 loooooong years. Brilliant, nuff said.

19 November: U2: Last show of Aust tour, the First Time, Bad. Nuff said.

5 December: Robbie Williams: Absofuckinlutely fantastic, what a show, what charisma, what stomach muscles...

Great shows all of them in their own way, all reinforcing why I started loving music in the first place. :heart: :love: :heart:

dazzlingamy said:
thatsnotmypuppy you saw Darren's Big Night In? I am so jealous....I was devestated when he only annouced Sydney, well devo and fucking pisse doff! But thats another story! hehehe

Hi Amy -

I saw both Opera House gigs - the man is a genius. It was the wierdest show ever - part game show, part rock gig, part ego massage. The DVD has just come out - which may I add is 95% the second night. The first night his karaoke challenge song was 'Gunning Down The Romance'. He also had major tech issues during the show - thus we only got the first verses of 'Insatiable' and 'Strange Relationships'. Due to his onstage computers crashing he just stopped the songs and told stories about how he dared Daniel Jones to flash his stuff at Molly Meldrum and other lovely Savage Garden anecdotes.

Brilliant showman - and he did say at the end of the second night he is back in late 2007...

I'm jealous of all of you who live in cities that receive big acts. :madspit:

Roger Waters (20 September, Air Canada Centre, Toronto) - 10/10: Best show I've ever seen my entire life.

Sarah Harmer (30 September, Holy Heart Auditorium, St. John's) - 3/10: I was so bored I wanted to die. Mind you, I'm not a fan in the first place.

Roger Hodgson (6 November, Mile One Centre, St. John's) - 8.5/10: Great show, very intimate.

And that's all. :(

3/26 Coldplay 8/10
6/3 Pearl Jam 7/10
6/13 Radiohead 8/10
6/14 Radiohead 10/10
10/7 Magni & Dilana (Magni was my musical summer TV love :shifty: ) 8.5/10
10/25 The Killers 8.5/10
12/2 Pearl Jam 11/10
12/9 U2 9/10

I saw way too much U2 and way too little of anything else last year. I'm hoping for some more diversity this year.

07/07, Split Enz: 9/10
07/11, U2: 8/10
11/11, U2: 9/10
13/11, U2: 9.5/10
18/11, U2: 8/10
19/11, U2: 9.75/10
24/11, U2: 8.5/10
25/11, U2: 10/10

I don't ever remenber the dates

U2: 9.5/10
Mogwai: 9/10
Bloc Party: 7.5/10
New Ponographers: 1000000000/10, ok, ok... 10/10
Yeah Yeah Yeahs: 8/10
Morrissey: 9/10

2/26 - Coldplay & Fiona Apple - CP: 6/10. Feefers 7/10

2/27 - Sigur Ros - 11/10 - Far and away the best show I've ever seen out of the 50 or so shows I've seen.

3/31 - Death Cab For Cutie/ Franz Ferdinand - Franz gets a 5 because they bored me to death. Death Cab gets an 8 only because I wish they played a longer set.

7/8 - Damien Rice & Fiona Apple - Damo: 9/10 only because Lisa wasn't there. Feefers gets a healthy 8 because she is lovely and had an even better show than in February.

9/15-17 - ACL Festival - 10/10, as always. I saw: Stars, Gnarls Barkley, Ray LaMontage, John Mayer, Van Morrison, Secret Machines, The Shins, Aimee Mann, The Raconteurs, Iron & Wine, KT Tunstall, The Flaming Lips, and Tom Petty. Flips stole the weekend.

10/13 - Wilco - 10/10 - They are perfect.

10/22 - The Rolling Stones - 9/10 Amazing stage set up and a lot of fun to be a part of. Look out for this show (in Austin at Zilker Park) on an upcoming DVD. They filmed it for a release and had a camera right in my face during "Under My Thumb."

10/26 - Do Make Say Think & Broken Social Scene - DMST gets a 8/10 and would get higher. I didn't know them then, loved their show, and now adore their albums. Can't wait for their new one in 2007. BSS gets 9/10 because Feist wasn't around. They were still incredible.

11/24 - Imogen Heap - 7/10 - A lot of fun to watch and she's got a terrific voice. I'm just not familiar enough with her music to have been way into the show.

12/1 - Peaches & Spoon - Peaches was a blast, she earns an 8. Spoon had an off show, but they're the hometown heroes of Austin and I still really enjoyed it. 8 for them too.

I had a great concert year. I've already got solo Jeff Tweedy, Explosions In The Sky (two nights in a row!), and TV on the Radio lined up for early 2007. Of course, ACL 2007 is going to be in there too.

April - Aslan 9/10

22 August - The Dears 8/10
The Dandy Warhols 7/10
The Magic Numbers 6/10
Morrissey 10/10

9 December - Emily 7.5/10
Royseven 8/10
Director 10/10

U2- Mexico City 10/10
Depeche Mode- Mty, Mexico 10/10
The Killers- Mty, Mex 10/10
The Rolling Stones- Mty, Mex 9/10
The Strokes- Mty, Mex 9/10
Robbie Williams- Mexico City 9/10
Inxs- Mty, Mex 9/10
U2- Mty, Mex 8/10
Morrisey- Mty, Mex 8/10
Motley Crue- Mty, Mex 8/10
Poison- Mty, Mex 5/10

I'm sure theres a couple other but I can't remember Killers got a 10 because I really like Sam's Town and the energy was amazing from the crowd which was mostly kids from 15 - 21 years olds and I was really surprised with Robbie Williams which was a lot of fun and the man is really entertaining to watch, Inxs gave it all to bad the Arena was probably to 30% capacity

U2, Santiago 1 - *****

U2, Buenos Aires 1 - *****

U2, Buenos Aires 2 - ***3/4

Oasis, Santiago - **1/2 :grumpy:

Robbie Williams, Santiago - **** 3/4

Los Tres (chilean Band, the comeback) - ****

Bruce Kulick, Kiss Party - **** 1/2

now it comes Coldplay, Roger Waters, suposedly The Who, maybe Iron Maiden, maybe Aerosmith

8/28 - Magic Numbers/Sonic Youth/Flaming Lips:

The whole MN set was in the pouring rain, but thankfully it cleared by the time Sonic Youth came on and played Teen Age Riot. :combust: Flaming Lips were awesome...Race For The Prize was a HUGE rush. Amazing. I'm still a bit tingly from it all. :drool: Ooh, and there were a whole bunch of drunk hipsters hanging around us. :cute:

Rating: 9.3

10/23 - Spank Rock/Beck:

Spank Rock was hilarious and tight, though the sound quality in the Tower Theater was poor, which unfortunately was a problem into Beck's set. We had great seats, and Beck's performance was very different from what you'd hear on the albums. He was fantastic, and it was a very moving set, particularly when he whipped out the Sea Change material. It was brilliant therapy for me, especially since my parents were going through a really rocky time with their marriage. Brilliant performance, great crowd, TERRIBLE sound quality. :angry:

Rating: 9.0

Back
Top Bottom