Rate the Person's Above Taste in Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cute Irish Bono

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Alright, here goes, we'll see if it catches on. Basically, post a couple bands you like, they don't have to be your favorites they could just be some new bands you've gotten into recently, and the person underneath you will judge a couple of them and make an overall appraisal of your taste in music (please criticize unharshly.) 1 being not your thing. 10 being excellent. Rate them anywhere. I'll go first:

1. Arcade Fire
2. The Shins
3. The Stills
4. New Order
5. Bob Marley
6. Bloc Party
7. Foo Fighters
8. The Beach Boys
9. David Bowie
10. Guster

Pretty decent and certainly diverse, especially the presence of New Order in that list. I don't know of Guster or any stuff from The Stills, but I certainly like a fair dose of songs from Foo and Bloc Party. If listening to music with you means listening to Generator, I Still Remember, So Here We Are Neighborhood 3, Magic Dance, Suffragette City, Buffalo Solider, Kokomo and the timeless True Faith, I'm sure we'll have a great time.....and who knows I might become a fan of the Stills and Guster through our acquaintance.

8.1 out of 10.

Artists I've listened to the most this year:

1. Travis
2. Editors
3. Interpol
4. Radiohead
5. Josh Pyke

Thanks so much. Yes, 3 and Suffragette City rock! I like the others too. :) Want me to send you some videos from The Stills and Guster?

Last edited:
intedomine said:
Pretty decent and certainly diverse, especially the presence of New Order in that list. I don't know of Guster or any stuff from The Stills, but I certainly like a fair dose of songs from Foo and Bloc Party. If listening to music with you means listening to Generator, I Still Remember, So Here We Are Neighborhood 3, Magic Dance, Suffragette City, Buffalo Solider, Kokomo and the timeless True Faith, I'm sure we'll have a great time.....and who knows I might become a fan of the Stills and Guster through our acquaintance.

8.1 out of 10.

Artists I've listened to the most this year:

1. Travis
2. Editors
3. Interpol
4. Radiohead
5. Josh Pyke

7/10. I like Travis and the Editors. I am not too crazy about Interpol (that's cool you like them, though). I like some Radiohead, it depends. I haven't heard of Josh Pyke. What does he sound like?

If we listen to "All Sparks," "Creep," "High and Dry," and "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?," I'll be happy! ;)

Last edited:
A bunch of artists I love:

Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Beck
Steely Dan
Joni Mitchell
Yes
Radiohead
David Bowie
The Kinks
Oasis
Blur
Supergrass
Pulp
REM
Wilco
White Stripes
The Shins
Spoon
Arcade Fire
De La Soul
Beastie Boys
Flaming Lips
Ryan Adams

My top 10 for 2007:

1. Radiohead - In Rainbows
2. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
3. Spoon - GaGaGaGaGa
4. The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
5. LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
6. The Go! Team - Proof Of Youth
7. Kanye West - Graduation
8. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
9. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
10. White Stripes - Icky Thump

^ Has an eclectic and definite indietastic taste. That being said, I like 95% of what he listens to.

A few of my faves:

Radiohead
David Bowie
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones
Arcade Fire
Wilco
The White Stripes
LCD Soundsystem
Kanye West
Pink Floyd
The Flaming Lips
The Velvet Underground
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
R.E.M.
Pixies
Muse
The Kinks
Explosions in the Sky

LemonMelon said:
A bunch of artists I love:

Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Beck
Steely Dan
Joni Mitchell
Yes
Radiohead
David Bowie
The Kinks
Oasis
Blur
Supergrass
Pulp
REM
Wilco
White Stripes
The Shins
Spoon
Arcade Fire
De La Soul
Beastie Boys
Flaming Lips
Ryan Adams

My top 10 for 2007:

1. Radiohead - In Rainbows
2. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
3. Spoon - GaGaGaGaGa
4. The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
5. LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
6. The Go! Team - Proof Of Youth
7. Kanye West - Graduation
8. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
9. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
10. White Stripes - Icky Thump

7/10. Very unique taste here. Lots to choose from. You have the classics and some of today's favorites. I like some Beatles and Pink Floyd, not a huge fan of either, though. I really like these Beatles songs: "Let It Be," and "Magical Mystery Tour." For Pink Floyd I like: "Us and Them" and "Wish You Were Here. I am FOREVER ASHAMED, I don't like "Another Brick in the Wall, p.t.2. :eek: I know, it's a classic. I like how they talk about hating school but the British kids in the song really get on my nerves for some reason. That's cool you like them, though. I love Led Zepplein, David Bowie, and The Kinks. I have to listen to "Victoria," "Space Oddity," and " Immigrant Song" for my life to be complete. Beck is boring to me. But I love "Loser" and "Devil's Haircut." I love Blur and Pulp. Supergrass and Oasis are cool too. I love the whole 90's british pop time period. You can't go wrong with a little "Tender" and "Wonderwall." Blur is one of my favorite bands of all time. :) Very good list, LemonMelon. ;)

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
^ Has an eclectic and definite indietastic taste. That being said, I like 95% of what he listens to.

A few of my faves:

Radiohead
David Bowie
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones
Arcade Fire
Wilco
The White Stripes
LCD Soundsystem
Kanye West
Pink Floyd
The Flaming Lips
The Velvet Underground
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
R.E.M.
Pixies
Muse
The Kinks
Explosions in the Sky

7/10. Not bad. Very unique with variety. Now I must say the way I rate you us only based on my personal taste. I love Muse, The Who, Arcade Fire, Pixies, and the Kinks. I am recently getting into Velvet Underground and The Flaming Lips. I like The White Stripes, Wilco, and R.E.M. Never been a big Bruce, Beatles, or Rolling Stones fan. Sorry. :( Great job, LemonMacPhisto. :wink:

1. U2 (Of Course) lol. :cool: :D
2. Blur
3. The Who
4. Madness
5. Aztec Camera
6. The Dead Kennedys
7. The Jam
8. Metallica
9. The Verve
10. Tears For Fears

Last edited:
Aztec Camera and Jam are certainly yes for me. Other than U2, I don't care much for the others, sorry. But it's not an awful list.

4/10 for that. Just what I think, 'course.

Here are some I like:

Gene Krupa
Boswell Sisters
John Coltrane
Curtis Mayfield
Slowdive
Husker Du

It should probably be a N/A since I've never heard anything by the above apart from a few names, :reject:

Here are a few I just got into this year:

Joy Division
Nina Simone
M.I.A.
Gogol Bordello
The Gossip
Bat For Lashes
Bachelorette
Iron & Wine
James Brown
The Go! Team
Keren Ann
Blonde Redhead
Mono
Jose Gonzalez

^ I think thats an absolutely brilliant taste in music. Bat for lashes, joy division and Nina Simone are people I myself have personally gotten into this year. And the gossip, gogol Bordello and the go! team are all cool too. Plus I've seen gogol bordello and the go! team live before. They rocked!

1. U2
2. Bat For Lashes
3. Kate Bush
4. Morrissey/The Smiths
5. Patrick Wolf
6. Joy Division
7. David Bowie
8. The Beatles
9. Echo & The Bunnymen
10. Kylie Minogue :reject: My guilt pleasure music!

You have great taste in music partyvoxgirl! You can't go wrong with Joy Division and Echo & The Bunnymen. The Smiths and Morrissey are amazing. Then you have Kate Bush the best songwriter of the past 25 years. 10 out of 10.

1. Kate Bush
2. The Police
3. U2
4. Sting
5. Todd Rundgren
6. Utopia
7. The Smiths
8. Pink Floyd
9. Tori Amos
10. The Dresden Dolls

( :up: screwtape, I never find people with the same taste in music as me!)

My Top 10

1. U2
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. David Bowie
4. Franz Ferdinand
5. Dave Matthews Band
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers
7. The Police
8. Arcade Fire
9. The Beatles
10. Explosions in the Sky
Honorable Mention: The Who

Screwtape2 said:
You have great taste in music partyvoxgirl! You can't go wrong with Joy Division and Echo & The Bunnymen. The Smiths and Morrissey are amazing. Then you have Kate Bush the best songwriter of the past 25 years. 10 out of 10.

1. Kate Bush
2. The Police
3. U2
4. Sting
5. Todd Rundgren
6. Utopia
7. The Smiths
8. Pink Floyd
9. Tori Amos
10. The Dresden Dolls

5/10. I really love U2, The Police, and Sting. These are classics to me. I can listen to them anytime. I am not a Pink Floyd, Dresden Dolls, Smiths, or Kate Bush fan. Sorry. Cool you like them. ;) :hug: I haven't heard much from Tori Amos, Todd Rundgren, and Utopia but I like what I have heard from them. :)

phillyfan26 said:
My Top 10

1. U2
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. David Bowie
4. Franz Ferdinand
5. Dave Matthews Band
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers
7. The Police
8. Arcade Fire
9. The Beatles
10. Explosions in the Sky
Honorable Mention: The Who

7.5/10. Awesome! U2 and D.M.B. are both in my top five two. U2 being first and D.M.B. being 5, too! lol! I love R.H.C.P., The Who, David Bowie, The Police, and Arcade Fire. I can take a little Beatles, Franz Ferdinand, and Bruce here and there. I have never heard Explosions in the Sky's music. I like your music a lot, phillyfan! ;)

Last edited:
My Top 10 from last.fm

Morrissey
The Smiths
Dresden Dolls
U2
Boomtown Rats
Radiohead
Arcade Fire
Gary Moore
The Verve
Ramones

Here's my Top 25:

U2
Bruce Springsteen
R.E.M
The Beatles
Jeff Buckley
Elvis Costello
Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Roy Orbison
Pink Floyd
Arcade Fire
White Stripes
The Police
Talking Heads
The Pretenders
Crowded House
Franz Ferdinand
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Peter Gabriel
Prince
Led Zeppelin
Midnight Oil
INXS
The Clash
The Smiths

the tourist said:
1. The Beatles
2. U2
3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Starflyer 59
5. The Killers
6. Gosling (www.myspace.com/gosling)
7. Sirens Sister (www.myspace.com/sirenssister)
8. Arctic Monkeys
9. Editors
10. Hard-Fi

I love your top 3! I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan of The Killers or Arctic Monkeys. I'm not familiar with the other bands on your list, although I've been meaning to check out the Editors.

Bono's shades said:
Here's my Top 25:

U2
Bruce Springsteen
R.E.M
The Beatles
Jeff Buckley
Elvis Costello
Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Roy Orbison
Pink Floyd
Arcade Fire
White Stripes
The Police
Talking Heads
The Pretenders
Crowded House
Franz Ferdinand
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Peter Gabriel
Prince
Led Zeppelin
Midnight Oil
INXS
The Clash
The Smiths

Of the stuff I know, I'd have to give your taste a high 8.5 to 9.0 You have some of my favorite bands in there (Zep, INXS, Peter Gabriel, U2, Bruce, Prince) but also a lot I don't know (Crowded House, Nick Cave, Midnight Oil, Roy Orbison and I don't like Elvis Costello and Jeff Buckley has always been sort of :shrug: meh to me.)

But I think if we were stuck somewhere where we just had your music collection to listen to, we'd get along JUST FINE!! :D

:wink:

I'll do a quick Top 16, though really only the first Top 5 are set in stone:

1. U2
2. Radiohead
3. Underworld
4. Bloc Party
5. Led Zeppelin

Pulp
Depeche Mode
Tori Amos
The Cure
Bruce Springsteen
Steely Dan
Peter Gabriel/Genesis
Pearl Jam
INXS
The Chemical Brothers
Daft Punk

Ahhhh, ok Top 17

R.E.M.

6/10

I'm a fan of The Beatles, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Daft Punk, Springsteen, and Depeche Mode. I haven't heard much of Pearl Jam, the Pixies, or INXS, or Bloc Party but I've enjoyed some of what I've heard. I can't say that I enjoy Tori Amos, Duran Duran, Steely Dan, or Genesis. The rest of the bands I don't know enough about to have an opinion on.

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. The Killers
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers

The rest don't have any particular ranking.

Keane
Jimi Hendrix
Black Sabbath
Coldplay
Arcade Fire
White Stripes
Gorillaz
Franz Ferdinand

5/10. U2, Beatles, Hendrix sure, Sabbath, the Stripes, Gorillaz and Franz are all pretty good. Can't stand the rest, sorry. :(

My last post kind of flopped, so I'll give some more easily recognizable names.

My Bloody Valentine
Bing Crosby
Buzzcocks
Beach Boys
Outkast
Catherine Wheel
Scott Walker

The Sad Punk said:
5/10. U2, Beatles, Hendrix sure, Sabbath, the Stripes, Gorillaz and Franz are all pretty good. Can't stand the rest, sorry. :(

My last post kind of flopped, so I'll give some more easily recognizable names.

My Bloody Valentine
Bing Crosby
Buzzcocks
Beach Boys
Outkast
Catherine Wheel
Scott Walker

6/10. I don't know much from Catherine Wheel and Buzzcocks but I do like what I heard from them a lot. :up: I like the Outkast I hear on the radio but I probably would never buy a C.D. of theirs. Bing Crosby is great but I only really listen to him around the holidays. I don't know My Bloody Valentine or Scott Walker's music. Not bad, Sad Punk. :up:

1. The Auteurs
2. Jimmy Eat World
3. Joy Division
4. Incubus
5. Weezer
6. Apollo 440
7. The Crystal Method
8. The Ramones
9. Peter Gabriel
10. C.C.R.
11. Our Lady Peace
12. The Clash