Rate R.E.M.'s albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:

My suggestion: wait to hear the next album first.

And you don't want to build the post-Berry live experience up too much. It's like the girl at school you've been dreaming of for years, and when you finally get her in bed you realize that she has an artificial arm, bad breath, and is maybe actually a man.

:lmao: Well, most of the recent live performances I've heard sound great from a technical standpoint, but of course, it's all about the dynamics in the end.

lazarus said:
And why the fuck wasn't Revolution put on Hi-Fi?

I think Revolution was by far the weakest of the tracks they rolled out on the Monster tour. I'm really glad it didn't make it to the album.

Walk Unafraid is wonderful live - it's one of the highlights on the new live DVD.

As for the post-Bill Berry years, yeah of course it's not the same without Farmer Bill. But you know, the drummers they've used since then (Joey Waronker, somebody Rifkin? Riefkin?) have done a great job, particularly live. Heck, extra people on the stage has been a staple since the 90s - Scott McCaughey, Ken Stringfellow ... the non-Berry drummer just blends into the background with the others, adding oomph and building up the band sound. And very well, I might add.

And I think Mike Mills deserves more attention and credit - he is the motherfucking MAN.

Last edited:
I changed my mind on Reckoning after listening to it all the way through again today. It deserves to be higher.
Here is my revised album order for today:

1. Lifes Rich Pageant
2. New Adventures
3. Monster
4. Up
5. Automatic
6. Green
7. Out Of Time
8. LP14
9. Reveal
10. Reckoning
11. Murmur
12. Document
13. Around The Sun
14. Fables

cori, Revolution may have been the weakest of the new songs played on the tour, but I still think it would have been better in place of Bittersweet Me, for example.

I'd say it's also better than Binky the Doormat, Low Desert, and probably Departure. Zither doesn't really count.

Oooooh, I disagree with you very much on your second point.

Agreed about Bittersweet Me, though I wouldn't want Revolution to take it's place. I think both songs are fairly mediocre.

But there we go with those pesky opinions again! :wink:

lazarus said:
I'd say it's also better than Binky the Doormat, Low Desert, and probably Departure. Zither doesn't really count.

I haven't heard Revolution but I do know that those songs are amazing!!!

Low Desert :drool:

Leave off of Hi-Fi is one of my favorite R.E.M. songs, absolutely love it.

There's a version with Stipe doing the vocals over some wacky Radiohead instrumentation. Dare I say it's better than the original, mainly because of the absence of the obnoxious alarm sound.

It may just be a remix, since the vocals sound almost the same.

Leave me your email, kiddies and I'll send it.

corianderstem said:
LMP, is that the version from the "the Best of REM" compilation that came out a couple of years ago?

If not, I'd love to hear it as well.

alicia.k@comcast.net

It may be, I'm not sure. I got it off of the 24-disc version of Radiohead's Towering Above the Rest bootleg.

corianderstem said:
But you know, the drummers they've used since then (Joey Waronker, somebody Rifkin? Riefkin?)
Bill Rieflin :wink:
And I think Mike Mills deserves more attention and credit - he is the motherfucking MAN.
Yes!!! His talent as a multi-instrumentalist is what makes REM Mark II (for want of a better term). However I happily volunteer to have Peter Buck's babies, anywhere, anytime :drool:

Rieflin! Thanks.

My only Peter Buck sighting in Seattle was the VIP section of U2's second night in Seattle back in April of '05. Good times. I'm disappointed I haven't had more. :(

^ :hug:
This week is a year since Peter Buck played here with Robyn Hitchcock in a small club. I got to talk to him after :drool: but I was so dumbstruck at actually chatting to Peter Buck that I didn't think of the obvious thing to say to him till way after ie "Take me, take me now!!!! " Oh well... :sigh:

corianderstem said:

Holy shit! :lol:

It's mainly B-sides, unnecessary remixes, and tons of live tracks. There were early versions of most of the OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, and HTTT tracks though, which was pretty cool.

Then there was Lift... which is something else entirely. :heart:

LemonMacPhisto said:
You are welcome, sir. What did you think?

It's an interesting take but of course I prefer the HiFi version despite the slighly annoying siren. Now what I'd like to hear is the album version with the siren removed, just for comparison. :drool:

1. Out Of Time
2. Up
3. Fables of the Reconstruction
4. Automatic for the People
5. Around the Sun
6. Monster
7. Green
8. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
9. Reckoning
10. Murmur
11. Reveal
12. Document
13. Life's Rich Pageant

Just setting the record straight about that version of "Leave". Yes, that would be the same one that's on the second disc of the limited edition of The Best of 1988-2003.

And Radiohead had nothing to do with it. Back when that version of the song was first released, someone who put it up on the internet tagged the file that way and people have been thinking that Radiohead is on it ever since.

Back
Top Bottom