Ranking The Beatles Catalogue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
I've been listening to The Beatles today for some reason. Then after listening to Abbey Road again for the first time in several months I think, I hopped on amazon and ordered LOVE. Can't wait to hear that. But anyway, my realization today was that Abbey Road really IS the finest album ever produced. There's almost no point in even talking about it, because I couldn't begin to explain why it's so amazing without writing a thesis paper on it. And now I'm listening to Sgt. Pepper's and realized that it's quite unfair that this album is usually regarded as the best of all time, if not just the best Beatles album, because I really wouldn't even rank it in the top 3 beatles albums. Not to say it isn't ONE OF the best albums ever. But still. So I figured I'd work out my top 5.

1. Abbey Road

2. Revolver

3. Rubber Soul

4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

5. The Beatles (The White Album)

good thread.

i'd have to say:

1. Abbey Road

2. Magical Mystery Tour

3. White Album

4. Sgt. Peppers

5. Rubber Soul

I definitely agree with you about Abbey Road. There's not a better moment than the last 3 minutes of "I Want You(She's So Heavy)"!

btw, you'll Love "Love".

Personally the specific part of Abbey Road that completely blows me away EVERY time I listen to this album is the 3 minutes of Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight. Somehow it's beauty still catches me by surprise to this very day.

I'll bite:

1. Revolver
2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
3. Abbey Road
4. The White Album
5. Rubber Soul

Revolver could be one of the most ground-breaking albums ever recorded. Plus, it's almost flawless and has "Tomorrow Never Knows"

I have never really caught on to Revolver, but I would agree that Abbey Road was their finest effort.

1. Abbey Road
2. Sgt. Pepper's
3. Rubber Soul
4. Magical Mystery Tour
5. White Album

1. revolver
2. abbey road
3. rubber soul
4. sgt. pepper's
5. white album

1-Pepper
2-Abbey Road
3-Mystery Tour
4-Rubber Soul
5-Revolver

Honorable Mention:
Let It Be
Hard Day's Night
White Album
Anthology 2
Anthology 3

Oh, and Love is definitely one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

It has its faults, the truncated Hey Jude, some transitions, but other than that, it's flawless.

The "Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You Without You" mix is the greatest thing ever, I love it.

It truly is.

I cannot wait until their whole catalog is remastered, it will be godly.

I read something about iTunes having exclusive rights over the catalog for 3-4 months before enhanced CDs are released.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
supposedly the remastered beatles catalogue will debut on iTunes in February

people on atease were talking about these. some meant that they couldnt possibly be remastered any better than they've already been (i cannot remember what the guy that remastered them, is called)

If they can do what they did on Love, they can do anything as far as I'm concerned.

Everything sounded crisp and clear without sounding like recent U2 album production, you know?

Oh god. I'd love a remastered Beatles catalogue. I to think I was just admiring how Abbey Road already still sounds better than most albums released in the 21st century. :faint:

dr. ebbett, it is. not sure those are remasters, though. just transfers from the original vinyls.

i hope they release them on cd too. i dont want the most precious jewels of music ever in compressed form.

There was a thread a while back that mentioned an ad for the iPhone with Sgt. Pepper's displayed on it. I wonder if the iTunes release would somehow coincide with the release of the phone, if the phone has not already been released. I haven't really been keeping up with the news on Apple.

I'm going to get flamed for this list, but...:|

1. Abbey Road - 9.6 (Greatest album of all time)
2. Magical Mystery Tour - 9.4
3. Rubber Soul - 9.3
4. Sgt. Pepper - 8.9
5. Revolver - 8.7
6. Help! - 8.5
7. Let It Be - 8.2 (Highly underrated)
8. White Album - 8.0 (Highly overrated)
9. Beatles For Sale - 7.6
10. With The Beatles - 7.4
11. Please Please Me - 7.1
12. A Hard Day's Night - 6.8 (Yes, this is my least favorite Beatles album. It's not bad, and there are some classics, but there are just too many songs on it that annoy the crap out of me.)

9+ = superb
8+ = great
7+ = good
6+ = average

Last edited:
1. Abbey Road: 9.5/10
2. White Album: 9.0/10
3. Let It Be: 8.8/10
4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: 8.5/10
5. Help!: 8.3/10
6. Revolver: 8.1/10
7. Rubber Soul: 7.8/10
8. A Hard Day's Night: 7.6/10
9. Please Please Me: 7.1/10
10. Magical Mystery Tour: 7.0/10
11. With The Beatles: 6.6/10
12. Beatles For Sale: 6.4/10

I hope I didn't forget any of the 62-70 albums...

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
I'm going to get flamed for this list, but...:|

It was a pretty fair assessment of their career. At least you agree that Abbey Road is the greatest album of all time. :drool:

Abbey Road

The Beatles (The White Album)

Revolver

Rubber Soul

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Magical Mystery Tour

BTW...I've seen a ten disc bootleg set now available of all of the material used (and not used) for the Love album...so maybe The Beatles remasters aren't that far off.

Westport said:
Abbey Road

The Beatles (The White Album)

Revolver

Rubber Soul

Magical Mystery Tour

BTW...I've seen a ten disc bootleg set now available of all of the material used (and not used) for the Love album...so maybe The Beatles remasters aren't that far off.

Where'd you find that?

1. The Beatles (White Album)
2. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
3. Revolver

And regarding 'Love', it's good and an interesting idea but am I the only one who feels they could have done a lot more with it? Tomorrow Never Knows/Within You WIthout You is a great example of how they could have pushed the boundaries a bit more. It's more of a mega-medley than anything else as is, whereas I thought they would have a better go and rejigging the tracks.

Not an easy task, but here's my try:)

Revolver
Magical Mystery Tour
White Album
Abbey Road

Back
Top Bottom