Rank Coldplay's album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys its acrobatman here..as promised I am doing a song by song comparision between X&Y and HTDAB-whatever

1) Square One Vs Vertigo - I prefer Square 1 - Coldplay 1 U2 0
2) What if Vs Miracle - Miracle is over-rated and what if is not the best of songs on X&Y - Miracle wins Coldplay 1 U2 1
3) White shadow Vs Sometime - White shadow is catchy but sometimes has soul - Coldplay 1 U2 - 2
4) Fix you Vs Love & Peace - Fix you is the best track on X&Y, Love & peace is forced - Coldplay 2 U2 -2
5) Talk Vs City of Blinding - Both are good ones - the former slightly better - Coldplay 3 U2 2
6) X&Y Vs all because of you - very close - both of them not my favorites but still good nevertheless _ I go for a tie
Coldplay 3 U2 2 Tie 1
7) SoS Vs Man and women - Sos wins - no contest
Coldplay 4 U2 2 Tie 1
8) Message Vs Crumbs - Message is such a lovely song - comparitively it gets even better
Coldplay 5 U2 2 Tie 1
9) Low Vs One step - I dont favor any one of them - tie
Coldplay 5 U2 2 Tie 2
10) Hardest Part Vs Original - The latter surely gets this one - one of the better tracks in the bomb album
Coldplay 5 U2 3 Tie 2
11) Swallowed Vs Yahweh - If you dont love swallowed by the sea - you will never like Coldplay - Yahweh is likeable too - but the former wins by far

ignore rest of tracks

Result :

Coldplay 6
U2 3
Tie 2

:)

You would take Square One, a song that is basically one massive rip-off of U2, over an actual U2 song? Fix You over LAPOE? I know music is subjective, but wow.

AcrobatMan said:
Guys its acrobatman here..as promised I am doing a song by song comparision between X&Y and HTDAB-whatever

1) Square One Vs Vertigo - I prefer Square 1 - Coldplay 1 U2 0
2) What if Vs Miracle - Miracle is over-rated and what if is not the best of songs on X&Y - Miracle wins Coldplay 1 U2 1
3) White shadow Vs Sometime - White shadow is catchy but sometimes has soul - Coldplay 1 U2 - 2
4) Fix you Vs Love & Peace - Fix you is the best track on X&Y, Love & peace is forced - Coldplay 2 U2 -2
5) Talk Vs City of Blinding - Both are good ones - the former slightly better - Coldplay 3 U2 2
6) X&Y Vs all because of you - very close - both of them not my favorites but still good nevertheless _ I go for a tie
Coldplay 3 U2 2 Tie 1
7) SoS Vs Man and women - Sos wins - no contest
Coldplay 4 U2 2 Tie 1
8) Message Vs Crumbs - Message is such a lovely song - comparitively it gets even better
Coldplay 5 U2 2 Tie 1
9) Low Vs One step - I dont favor any one of them - tie
Coldplay 5 U2 2 Tie 2
10) Hardest Part Vs Original - The latter surely gets this one - one of the better tracks in the bomb album
Coldplay 5 U2 3 Tie 2
11) Swallowed Vs Yahweh - If you dont love swallowed by the sea - you will never like Coldplay - Yahweh is likeable too - but the former wins by far

ignore rest of tracks

Result :

Coldplay 6
U2 3
Tie 2
:)

I'm always struck with how little sense it makes to compare two albums track-by-track. You're basically just randomly pairing up songs based on however the bands wanted them arranged on their respective discs.

That's the equivilant of comparing Canada's export of porkchops to Russia's vodka consumption per capita to determine who is higher on the Human Development Index.

:eyebrow:

And as far as Square One goes, when a band's album starts off with a filler track it's never a good sign.

not that anyone is interested (at least, that's what my mother always told me), but:

Coldplay
X&Y
Square One - 8
What If - 6
White Shadows - 7
Fix You - 2
Talk - 8
X&Y - 5
Speed Of Sound - 6
A Message - 7
Low - 8
The Hardest Part - 5
Swallowed In The Sea - 3
Twisted Logic - 7
Til Kingdom Come - 9

U2
HTDAAB
Vertigo - 8
Miracle Drug - 9
SYCMIOYO - 7
Love & Peace Or Else - 8
City Of Blinding Lights - 9
All Because Of You - 5
AMAAW - 3
Crumbs From Your Table - 7
One Step Closer - 7
Original Of The Species - 8
Yahweh - 6
Fast Cars - 6

For comparitive purposes, I did the same on a few of my favourite albums, both The Joshua Tree and AROBTTH come out at 7.91 (Led Zep IV is 8.00). In Coldplay's credit, they also produced Gravity and The World Turned Upside Down in this time period, even if Gravity was written ages ago. In U2's credit, their live interpretations are far superior.

Last edited:
each time I listen to X&Y it seems to have gotten worse than last time...while Atomic Bomb seems to grow on me more and more....well except Vertigo.....and All Because of You...but everything else sounds better each time I listen to it :hmm:

elevation2u said:
each time I listen to X&Y it seems to have gotten worse than last time...while Atomic Bomb seems to grow on me more and more....well except Vertigo.....and All Because of You...but everything else sounds better each time I listen to it :hmm:
Try the following tracklisting for X&Y and you might enjoy it more. I sure am - i use this alternate tracklisting I made up now whenever I want to listen to the album and I feel the tracks are better arranged. I trimmed the fat from the album, so to speak....

xandyfixed.JPG

Guys and gals :sexywink:

Please feel free to disagree with me and my attempt at song by song comparison

I am not comparing X&Y with Joshua Tree. I am not comparing "sqaure one" with "where streets have no name".

You dont like square one..and you like vertigo... :| ,

Its ok.

AcrobatMan

Canadiens1160 said:
Try the following tracklisting for X&Y and you might enjoy it more. I sure am - i use this alternate tracklisting I made up now whenever I want to listen to the album and I feel the tracks are better arranged. I trimmed the fat from the album, so to speak....

xandyfixed.JPG

Ill try it:wink: ...

they really should have taken the time to focus on making each song good even if it only resulted to 10 songs or so..instead of making more than half a dozen of medicore songs

tracklisting I use

1. Square One
2. Low
3. Speed Of Sound
4. A Message
5. White Shadows
6. Talk
7. What If
8. The World Turned Upside Down
9. Twisted Logic
10. Sleeping Sun
11. 'Til Kingdom Come
12. How You See The World #2
13. X&Y
14. Gravity

HTDAAB is a much better album than X&Y in my opinion, but X&Y's main flaw is its inconsistent track order and it's length.

I reckon A Message should be left off X&Y, and that pointless Til Kingdom Come Song.

Square One is beautiful IMO, and a perfect opener.

They're both not great albums, but a great collection of songs (HTDAAB), and a good collection of songs (X&Y)

X&Y does have an issue with the track order and overall quality and lyrics of the tracks.

All of the songs bleed into one big song, and not in the good 'Dark Side of the Moon' way, more like an Insititute set

angelordevil said:

:yes: :yes: :yes:

They had me at Yellow, but then they lost me completely.
I think you summarized my thoughts exactly. I still have a cursury listen to their albums though.

LemonMacPhisto said:

All of the songs bleed into one big song, and not in the good 'Dark Side of the Moon' way, more like an Insititute set

:lmao:

That was a good one, I'll have to remember it.

1. X & Y (About a 7/10, still haven't become sick of songs like "Speed Of Sound" and "Talk" even though my sister plays the CD a lot)
2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head (An 8/10 before you heard the songs to death on the radio, a 6/10 after)
3. Parachutes ("Don't Panic" and "Yellow" are great. Rest is complete rubbish)

Overrated band to say the least. But then again, X&Y wasn't really earning critical acclaim to begin with.......so overrated amongst mainstream music lovers seems like the more accurate definition.

1) Parachutes - think it's great and overall the purest & strongest. before they even were conscious that they might be big, they were good.

2) AROBTTH and X&Y - tied for me. My favorite song is "Warning Sign" from the 2nd album (love it, love it, love it) and "Talk" is my favorite from the latest one.

Back
Top Bottom