Rank Coldplay's album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you need any Rush Of Blood era b-sides, I can zip them into an archive for you

This has probably been mentioned before several times over and I don't mean this as a knock on Coldplay but... the ending of The Scientist made a light bulb go on in my head. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
This has probably been mentioned before several times over and I don't mean this as a knock on Coldplay but... the ending of The Scientist made a light bulb go on in my head. :wink:

:scratch:

Zootlesque said:

Thanks, I'll let you know. Wanna soak up the album first. :wink:

Well they're zipped and on ysi, so just say when and I'll post the link.

1. AROBTTH (Classic)

2. X and Y (Some cracking songs on here, shame about the incoherence of the album's flow)

3. Parachutes (Nice, but unremarkable debut)

intedomine said:
1. AROBTTH (Classic)

2. X and Y (Some cracking songs on here, shame about the incoherence of the album's flow)

I agree on both fronts. If album flow was reconstructed on X&Y (along with the omission of X&Y and Hardest Part and the addition of How You See The Wolrd) it could be up with Rush Of Blood.

inmyplace13 said:

I agree on both fronts. If album flow was reconstructed on X&Y (along with the omission of X&Y and Hardest Part and the addition of How You See The Wolrd) it could be up with Rush Of Blood.

I'd keep X&Y, and remove A Message and Til Kingdom Come.

Maybe chuck in the World Turned Upside Down....

The album is a wee bit too long...

1. A Rush Of Blood To The Head (yes, I'm bored enough to write it in full!)
2. Parachutes
3. X&Y

I think X&Y would be better without Fix You, Swallowed In The Sea, The Hardest Part and with Gravity (I know they couldn't really do that), The World Turned Upside Down and How You See The World, but even then it would still be dissapointing after AROBTTH. And stop with all this 'bonus track' malarky. It's not a bonus track if it's listed on the case and has its own tracknumber.

RA-D said:

Gravity (I know they couldn't really do that)

Oddly enough, they're rerecording Gravity and putting it as a b-side on the Talk single. The other new track will be called Sleeping Sun.

I always liked Coldplay's version more than Embrace's anyway

I know, I know, I know, this has been said a mere thousand times before, but their first two albums in my opinion were mind blowing to me at the time they came out and they only got better each time I heard them. Trouble, Amsterdam, Rush of Blood, Spies....these songs gave me hope in the current state of music, that perhaps something worthwhile was here to stay.

But, Ive listened to X&Y, countless times and it has yet to ever grasp me...I'm not sure whether it's the individual songs or the album as a whole that fails, IMO. They crammed a bunch of mediocre songs into a record and then had their record company overblow them with hype.

Im not one for nostalgia, or the "early ..[insert band name here] was so much better yada yada yada" I tend to like change, but the fact that I looked forward to this album and then it doesnt deliver any good new or old coldplay. Meh, dissapointed...it has, however, sparked my interest in their next career move...should I give these lads a second chance or forget about them altogether?
Will they, 20 years from now, admit that X&Y wasnt them on top of their game...a'la U2's October?

Then again, the bands they're mostly compared to U2 & Radiohead...didnt exactly have the most solid debut albums ...something which I believe Coldplay did acheive so does that even them out...perhaps backwards since X&Y is no War or OK Computer?

:hmm:

Can anyone confirm that TALK is the 3rd single from X&Y?

It should have been the first or second single IMO

inmyplace13 can confirm Talk is the next single.

Single will include:

1. Talk
2. Sleeping Sun
3. Gravity
4. Talk video
5. Speed Of Sound video

Out december 19

elevation2u said:
Trouble, Amsterdam, Rush of Blood, Spies....these songs gave me hope in the current state of music, that perhaps something worthwhile was here to stay.

Okay, it's rather common knowledge around here that I don't like Coldplay at all these days. At all. But those songs that you mentioned are probably the only songs of theirs that I can tolerate. I bought Parachutes shortly after it first came out and was very interested by Trouble and Spies. Spies in particular. It had a very interesting sound...kind of U2-ish, but not overly so. There was a little something of their own in there. It was a haunting, mysterious sound, and it sounded good. I sometimes even listen to it every now and then for the hell of it (I threw away AROBTTH and downloaded X&Y). I honestly think that Parachutes is the only album that features some form of originality by Coldplay. And Trouble is just so damn mournful, a beautiful song with a cool video to boot.

When AROBTTH came out, I began to lose interest. Then when some of their new songs became emerging, like "Moses," I just got turned off from them completely. I can't respect a band that resorts to blatant rip-offs. I know that's not why you're disappointed in them, but it's why I am.

And I agree with you 100% on your analysis of X&Y. That album is not nearly worth the hype it's receiving. It's the sound of Coldplay regressing even further, borrowing even more from other bands, and just losing ideas in general. Certainly doesn't sound like progress to me, as some fans like to call it. And really, could someone tell me why all the songs on it sound the fucking same? Or why Jon Buckland has suddenly decided he is The Edge? X&Y, to me, is nothing more than the endless drone of shit.

GibsonGirl said:

Okay, it's rather common knowledge around here that I don't like Coldplay at all these days. At all. But those songs that you mentioned are probably the only songs of theirs that I can tolerate. I bought Parachutes shortly after it first came out and was very interested by Trouble and Spies. Spies in particular. It had a very interesting sound...kind of U2-ish, but not overly so. There was a little something of their own in there. It was a haunting, mysterious sound, and it sounded good. I sometimes even listen to it every now and then for the hell of it (I threw away AROBTTH and downloaded X&Y). I honestly think that Parachutes is the only album that features some form of originality by Coldplay. And Trouble is just so damn mournful, a beautiful song with a cool video to boot.

When AROBTTH came out, I began to lose interest. Then when some of their new songs became emerging, like "Moses," I just got turned off from them completely. I can't respect a band that resorts to blatant rip-offs. I know that's not why you're disappointed in them, but it's why I am.

And I agree with you 100% on your analysis of X&Y. That album is not nearly worth the hype it's receiving. It's the sound of Coldplay regressing even further, borrowing even more from other bands, and just losing ideas in general. Certainly doesn't sound like progress to me, as some fans like to call it. And really, could someone tell me why all the songs on it sound the fucking same? Or why Jon Buckland has suddenly decided he is The Edge? X&Y, to me, is nothing more than the endless drone of shit.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

They had me at Yellow, but then they lost me completely.

imp13, do you have the early version of Talk that leaked to the net before the album release?? I can´t find it on my com anymore

:happy:

AROBTTH
X&Y
parachutes

and the leaked version of talk is far superior to the final album version i think. but then i can also see why the changed it, would have been far to similiar to speed of sound had they left it as it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom