Random Pitchfork Darling Talk LXXXIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never did listen to Liars' last album. I was so disappointed by the first few tracks. Someday.

My favorite 3 songs from it are pretty much at the end. At least go listen to Brats and Flood to Flood.

It was one of those situations where, if it were any other band, I probably would have liked it quite a bit. I think I listened to a good portion of it, actually. Like the first 4 or 5 tracks.

Has anyone been to one of the Postal Service shows yet? If so, how was it? They're here next week, I still haven't bought tickets.

I still think WIXIW is a very good album. I'd call myself a Liars fan and it's the only album of theirs I've heard.

Second song is even better. It's still got the Thom Yorke whiny vocals but it's defo more upbeat.

Yeah, I like that second one a lot. First one sounds like it should be in a vintage video game.

They've jumped between a couple different styles over many of their albums though, I guess that's why I'm never sure why you were so disappointed in the last one when they'd done those types of songs a number of times on previous albums.

I don't know, maybe it's got a lot to do with the fact that I didn't become a huge fan of theirs until I heard them live, and maybe live they focus more on those crazy insane songs and less on the "Let's be Radiohead!" songs.

Silence Yourself is a fantastic album, one of the best debuts in recent memory. Early AOTY contender for me (still waiting to get TWFM on vinyl so I can properly experience it for the first time).

I really fail to see the appeal for that record. It's a good enough album, but nothing spectacular for somebody who grew up with post-punk and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

It captures that aesthetic quite well - especially in the basslines and slashing guitars, for lack of a better term. More post-punk revivalism can only be a good thing, especially when it's done as competently as Savages.

Well said. The talent and workmanship that went into it put it past the level of mere pastiche. Obviously its influences are easy to spot, but it actually sounds like something that could be a contemporary of those great post-punk records. And the intensity of the performances is undeniable. The guitarist, clearly well versed in the aesthetic, creates a lot of exciting sounds and the rhythm section (particularly the drummer) just kills it.

I'm listening to Without You I'm Nothing by Placebo. It's not really my thing but I like it. The guitars sound really good and I have no problem with the performances overall. It's a touch melodramatic and that's usually a turnoff for me, but there is more often than not some interesting melodic quirk or instrumental aspect on each song that keeps me entertained.

I've heard these guys went to shit, and I can totally understand how that could have happened. This album is toeing a fine line between obnoxious and great right now.

Based on a new track I heard, the next album is going to be an ambient one off. It was strange. I don't know if that's on the release calendar yet.

Has anyone been to one of the Postal Service shows yet? If so, how was it? They're here next week, I still haven't bought tickets.

I saw them last month. It was an amusing show, and I'm mostly glad I went because it doesn't look like they'll ever release another record. It's nice to be able to say that I've seen them. But that being said, it was easily the most disappointing show of the four I went to last month (Sigur Rós twice and then Har Mar Superstar--not that much can live up to Sigur Rós, but still). Crowd was not very enthusiastic and the band didn't play very long. I left underwhelmed but not regretful.

I posted specific details about the new Placebo record in the most recent Placebo thread, but it promptly went ignored. The release date is September 16/17 if someone wants to add it to the release calendar.

Thanks, HG. I was sorta worried about those exact things (how the album would translate live and audience response to it, length of the show, etc.). Decisions, decisions.

Back
Top Bottom