Random Music Thread XXXV: Cobbler Strikes Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I'll give the line-up the ol' college try again if they come around to arenas again, because I am a sucker and do like to have the chance at being close.

I just remember not having as good a time in the back in the arenas and how much I wished I'd been closer .... but that's probably mostly because I didn't really know anyone and was mostly on my own at those shows. Naturally, it's always more fun with friends.

I'm sure I'll give the line-up the ol' college try again if they come around to arenas again, because I am a sucker and do like to have the chance at being close.

I just remember not having as good a time in the back in the arenas and how much I wished I'd been closer .... but that's probably mostly because I didn't really know anyone and was mostly on my own at those shows. Naturally, it's always more fun with friends.
what about friends at the back of the arena?

This whole GA thing sounds like a nightmare. The only outdoor concert I ever saw was Springsteen three years ago, and I had seats. I've done indoor GA before (The National) and just walked in and found a spot in the middle.

what about friends at the back of the arena?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'm sure I wasn't clear. I meant that I'd have fun at the back of the arena if I was with friends. It helps to have friends who don't care if they're at the front or not.

I can't stand the piece of paper they pass around in the GA line to put your name on. Whoever starts those things needs to give their head a shake; They're taking things way too seriously. I wonder what would happen if it mysteriously disappeared when it gets to me on Monday

I like the list, in general, I think it saves a lot of headache. But that's when the list is SANE. Like in Arlington, where I walked up to the front, put my name down and went happily to my spot, like everyone did.

Not when they start the list for an imaginary line three days ahead of time, allow people to leave and come back, checking in, doing roll calls, etc. It's just some entitled pricks thinking they have any more right than anyone else to say that they're the line starters. U2's people really need to get on this STAT before it gets out of control, more so than it already has.

I know the argument of starting it days in advance is "Well, someone's going to start it early, so it might as well be us," but honestly, who cares who starts it? You guys are so clued in, you'll KNOW when it starts within minutes. So you and your friends are numbers 10-15 instead of 1-5 or something?

OMG GET THE SMELLING SALTS.

I can't stand the piece of paper they pass around in the GA line to put your name on. Whoever starts those things needs to give their head a shake; They're taking things way too seriously. I wonder what would happen if it mysteriously disappeared when it gets to me on Monday

Dude, PLEASE do this. And make sure you take a picture of it to post on there later with a note saying "I TOOK IT YOU LINE NAZI FUCKS!"

I wish they would go back to the random thing they did on Squirtigo.

yeah, if they do arenas next time, I would fully support the lottery. Just as long as they make sure they tell people before the first show that it's what they're doing. People are still going to line up for the prime outer rail spots, but I support trying to give others the chance to be up front.

Although I swear half the "regulars" always ended up in that goddamned ellipse anyway, or so it seemed from hearing chatter about it.

yeah, if they do arenas next time, I would fully support the lottery. Just as long as they make sure they tell people before the first show that it's what they're doing. People are still going to line up for the prime outer rail spots, but I support trying to give others the chance to be up front.

Although I swear half the "regulars" always ended up in that goddamned ellipse anyway, or so it seemed from hearing chatter about it.

there's still a list even for those arena shows though. Just. Not. this. Bad.

Yeah, I always see people acting so proud for managing to sneak into the ellipse. Jesus, get over yourselves.

Yeah. We're talking about what - 20,000 instead of 70,000? I have no idea what the GA totals are for arenas vs stadiums.

I like those numbers better for the line. :) I did the line once, showed up early afternoon after arguing with myself all morning about whether or not to line up. Got a decent spot.

I guess they would give out wristbands back by the soundboard sometimes as well, which is cool. Just never happened to me, god damn it. :grumpy:

I had GA for 5 out of 6 shows. Got into the ellipse once, did soundboard twice, and the other two I was about 2-3 heads back from the outer rail. At one of those, I got there just before the doors opened, and was waaaaay back in the line. Then Bono showed up, and the line disintegrated, so my friend and I jumped up about 150 spots. No one seemed to care, because most of the line was hollering at Bono while the rest of us were let in. Yay. :)

So then you remember it? :wink:

Ha, yes. I actually only had three beers. Of the Guinness variety.

I rolled onto the field at about 6:30 pm, and was able to get myself pretty darn close to the outer rail. Just left of the front center of the stage. Ashley, where were you guys located exactly? When I was sitting there in the 30 minutes leading up to Interpol, I was regretting not working out a way to contact you guys, because it would have been fun to enjoy the concert with some friendly faces. But, oh well. I've never been good at planning ahead.

Yes, that was AWESOME.

Also (and this does not reference the song, so I'm not going to put it under tags):

"Here's the deal - if we screw this up really badly, you don't put it on the internet."

:lol:

Yes!

He also said something akin to "What's the first line?"

And I screamed the fucking shit out of the first line. Don't think he heard me, though. :wink: When he said

"We wrote a song for Greg Carroll, which we aren't going to play for you now (maniacal/embarrassed laughter)...ok, we might be..."

I completely lost my shit and was totally the only person anywhere near me who had any clue what was about to go down. It was a great geeky moment. Oh, man.

Even though Bono said "we might be playing it" and went and talked to Edge, I was a bit worried that they still wouldn't, because of all of Edge's guitar bullshit.

I was screaming "PLAY THAT SHIT! PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY IT!" And the people near me thought I was crazy. (They were right).

Anyway, what a beautiful moment. When Bono started the a cappella "Oh, great ocean, oh great sea..." bit before they actually tried to kick into the full song, he was WAY off key. It was funny.

This just goes to show that it's great when the band gets spontaneous, and they should be spontaneous like that more often, because it didn't take long for them to figure it out and start groovin, and it turned into a kickass version, and the highlight of the show and a wonderful memory for me and thousands of other people. Yeah, they're perfectionists. And this isn't the first time they've tried something off-the-cuff like that in concert, I just think it'd be cool if they did it even more often.

When he got to "I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the moon has turned red"... well, I just can't describe it. Fuck. I could tell you that my eyes were not dry.

I rolled onto the field at about 6:30 pm, and was able to get myself pretty darn close to the outer rail. Just left of the front center of the stage. Ashley, where were you guys located exactly? When I was sitting there in the 30 minutes leading up to Interpol, I was regretting not working out a way to contact you guys, because it would have been fun to enjoy the concert with some friendly faces. But, oh well. I've never been good at planning ahead.

Yes!

And I screamed the fucking shit out of the first line. Don't think he heard me, though. :wink: When he said

"We wrote a song for Greg Carroll, which we aren't going to play for you now (maniacal/embarrassed laughter)...ok, we might be..."

I completely lost my shit and was totally the only person anywhere near me who had any clue what was about to go down. It was a great geeky moment. Oh, man.

Even though Bono said "we might be playing it" and went and talked to Edge, I was a bit worried that they still wouldn't, because of all of Edge's guitar bullshit.

I was screaming "PLAY THAT SHIT! PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY IT!" And the people near me thought I was crazy. (They were right).

Anyway, what a beautiful moment. When Bono started the a cappella "Oh, great ocean, oh great sea..." bit before they actually tried to kick into the full song, he was WAY off key. It was funny.

This just goes to show that it's great when the band gets spontaneous, and they should be spontaneous like that more often, because it didn't take long for them to figure it out and start groovin, and it turned into a kickass version, and the highlight of the show and a wonderful memory for me and thousands of other people. Yeah, they're perfectionists. And this isn't the first time they've tried something off-the-cuff like that in concert, I just think it'd be cool if they did it even more often.

When he got to "I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the moon has turned red"... well, I just can't describe it. Fuck. I could tell you that my eyes were not dry.

:hug:

Yes!

We were on the back rail of the pit. We really do need to go to a gig together sometime. It seems so silly that we live so near and have never hung out :(.

regarding U2 playing stuff off the cuff more often: It never occurred to me why it's such a thing for them to do it until I saw it live for myself. It's Edge's damn pedals. Did you see how much effort it took for them to get everything ready and going? Imagine if they did that for multiple songs a night like Bruce. It sucks. I'd think there must be a better way, but who knows. Not I. Maybe Dallas.

Other highlights:

The Fly.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That shit rocked. I saw it on the Vertigo tour, but was way up top at the UC, so this was so much better. Such a fucking awesome song. Edge's solo...damn. The whole song is beyond description.

Out of Control.

Never ever thought I'd hear this. I'd been kind of avoiding set lists, so I didn't think this was even a remote possibility, and when I heard the intro I lost it. One of my favorite early U2 cuts, and it's such a great live song. This and One Tree Hill were two songs that I legitimately NEVER would have expected to hear. For an uberfan who has a million posts on a U2 message board, to get two complete "HOLY SHIT" surprises at a U2 concert, I think, is pretty lucky and pretty awesome. I realize that I'm blessed. Which is why i'm going to go drink until I fall over tonight.

Bono said "Larry went and saw the White Sox last night, and they defeated Kansas."

And I yelled "KANSAS CITY, YOU DUMBASS!" at the top of my lungs. People around me were probably like "Who's this little asshole coming to a U2 show talking shit about the lead singer?"

Little did they know that he is my idol and like my favorite person on the planet, and that I just like to make fun of him because he's cute and easy to make fun of and it's funny.

Bono said "Larry went and saw the White Sox last night, and they defeated Kansas."

And I yelled "KANSAS CITY, YOU DUMBASS!"

:lol:

Who hasn't yelled at Bono during a concert?

"WHY DO YOU LIE?????"

Re the other surprise song you just mentioned. now that they've played it in a "one show" city, that makes me hopeful that they'll play it at one of the two remaining shows I'll be at.

Oh man. I would die. DIE!

GA in Australia sounds like a breeze compared to you lot. I don't think there were any of these lists, what bullshit, definitely go and call them out in the tour thread. I think the first 500 people got a number on their hands but that was it.

Get real, you just don't want your friends to know you interact with Canadians.

Hey! I posted a Happy Canada status! And he liked it, too.

So Popmatters gave Limp Bizkit's new album 8 /10 today... I realize you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but i have a hard time thinking anything with a cover like this could be worthy of such a high score.
61%2BGBi18SzL._SS400_.jpg

The other night my normally well-adjusted friend said "there's no fucking way you could even pay me to go to Meat Loaf. Maybe if it was Fred Durst." I choked on my Creamy Soda.

Maybe just deflate her and put her in your fanny pack, then inflate her at the venue...

:applaud:

U2 front-of-the-line-rail-freaks are a particularly loathsome breed. And then they'll be all about the love later.

There's a bloke called quadcaster who posts here, Australian, and he went to all the shows. And he lined up the night before for all of them to ensure he was front and centre on the outer rail for every single show. And then he would become irate and pretty much disown the band for playing IALW at all the shows. Glad I didn't have to speak to him for more than two seconds.

They're getting older, it's making me nervous. I love those bastards.

Yeah, this. I have to come to grips with the fact that I may never see them live again.

...or getting on a train afterward. If you don't have money on the card already, you'll be waiting over a half-hour.

Also, 212, did you say that someone was playing Robert Plant's "In the Mood" during the exit? That's an awesome but obscure choice.

did you go to the show yup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom