Random Music Thread XXXIV: Shouter cares more than you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it's actually "theirs" not "ours," so I would have had to paraphrase anyway to make it work. :wink:

But, like Scumbo, I'll feel bad if he's offended by this post, so jk

Sorry. Scumbo's musket also works in reverse to suck joy out of the thread.

Why am I tempted, now, to Lance's Mom/Cockify "The Charge Of The Light Brigade"? :| I blame Captain Toobing.

CORI FAIL.

Though I will say that the harder version on The Promise blows the version on Darkness out of the water. In every way.

Also, you gotta be some kind of Cylon-hearted shell to not like Hungry Heart.

I'll say it again: this version is amazing and is probably in my Top 5 Boss songs at this point:

YouTube - ‪Racing In the Street ('78) - Bruce Springsteen - The Promise‬‏

Shit yes. I didn't care for "Racing in the Street" either way until The Promise came out.

It's funnier now than it was before.

I imagine it playing out either like a goofy Aaron Sorkin scene or a more hipster-literate version of the "How you like them apple's scene?" from Good Will Hunting.

Pink Cadillac is so overplayed, and I just don't understand why. Glory Days too. I don't actively dislike either, but I'm tired of them.

"Glory Days" is as middle-of-the-road as The Boss has ever been.

The big Born on the USA hits are pretty much pop junk to me. The dated production is grating to my ears, so it's hard for me to stomach Dancing in the Dark, Glory Days, the title track, etc.

I can tolerate Cover Me and I'm On Fire manages to overcome the 80's vibe, and there are a couple other decent songs. But honestly? I prefer to listen to Human Touch and Lucky Town to this album, to say nothing of all the other E-Street albums.

And Unpopular opinion though it may be, I still think that Born in the U.S.A. is my favorite of his. And I'm on Fire is my favorite Springsteen song period.

Human Touch is shit with two good songs on it. Lucky Town on the other hand...I really, really, really, really like Lucky Town.

"Glory Days" was horrible for the longest time, but it was salvaged by soundtracking Charlie and Dennis getting inappropriately drunk in front of Ryan Howard and Chase Utley.

And Unpopular opinion though it may be, I still think that Born in the U.S.A. is my favorite of his. And I'm on Fire is my favorite Springsteen song period.

Human Touch is shit with two good songs on it. Lucky Town on the other hand...I really, really, really, really like Lucky Town.

Speaking of I'm on Fire, this cover is fantastic:

YouTube - ‪I'm on fire - Bat for Lashes‬‏

I'm also a fan of Lucky Town. As far as Born in the USA is concerned, I still think that the title track is one of his finest songs. However dated the instrumentation may sound, the lyric is as poignant now as it was twenty-five years ago. I also find it hard not to sing along to Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark.

Also, Utley clearly lied when he said they drank more than anyone he'd ever seen, as he spent four years palling around with Jayson Werth, who is for all intents and purposes an insane alcoholic.

Will definitely be shopping with girls from now on. I have some decent clothes for the first time ever. A new look for me, but one that will hopefully have girls interested in cobbling.

I'm also a fan of Lucky Town. As far as Born in the USA is concerned, I still think that the title track is one of his finest songs. However dated the instrumentation may sound, the lyric is as poignant now as it was twenty-five years ago. I also find it hard not to sing along to Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark.

That wasn't too bad, enjoyed it pretty well actually. Of course, I'm pretty big on BFL, so there you go.

Great shit on Lucky Town: Better Days, Lucky Town, Local Hero, If I Should Fall Behind, Leap of Faith, Book of Dreams

Only song I don't like: My Beautiful Reward

Will definitely be shopping with girls from now on. I have some decent clothes for the first time ever. A new look for me, but one that will hopefully have girls interested in cobbling.

Don't call it that.

iron yuppie said:

I dislike this for the same reason I dislike Cat Power's Space Oddity cover. Just as we bag on U2 for watering down their songs with shitty acoustic renditions, I don't care for these mile-per-decade covers either.

Also, -10000000 points for pointing out to me that the line (a fucking Springsteen-written line) is "it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull, and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my SOUL" when "skull" actually communicates something tactile, as opposed to the trite, ambiguous image of some chick stabbing Bruce's soul with a knife.

I dislike this for the same reason I dislike Cat Power's Space Oddity cover. Just as we bag on U2 for watering down their songs with shitty acoustic renditions, I don't care for these mile-per-decade covers either.

How dare you, sir. :wink:

What I love about Ms. Kahn's version is that the feminine perspective gives the song a whole new dynamic. She inverts the standard guy-lusts-after-young girl story, which plays with our perceptions of how sexual desire works. Her version has more of a voyeuristic quality to it.

And I like U2 acoustic versions as well - most of them, at least.

I've always known it was soul, but it sucks when you find out lyrics aren't what you thought.

By the way, does anyone know the lyrics to Grounded? This is the best I've got.

Doctors leaving for the holiday season
Got crystal ice picks, no gift the gab
And in the parking lot, ?????
He never never complains when it's hot

????? in a sauna playing contract bridge
They're soaking up the fauna, doing ????
I don't know which
Boys are dying on these streets

I know the medical world could knock you out
To sell the coins that you ???? last Thursday
Dine by candlelight, and hold your savings tight
You never never know when the bridge falls apart

We spoke of latent causes, steriles gauzes and the bedside morale
We traipse around the table talking sentences so incomplete

Listening back to it now, I'm positive that's what it is. Malkmus is hardly one to follow traditional grammar or phonics, but I did not know that's how "fowled" was pronounced.

One of my favorite Pavement songs, for the record.

How good is that clip from Glastonbury?! Phenomenal performer.

LemonMelon said:
Listening back to it now, I'm positive that's what it is. Malkmus is hardly one to follow traditional grammar or phonics, but I did not know that's how "fowled" was pronounced.

One of my favorite Pavement songs, for the record.

Yeah a lot of his lyrics are hard to decipher.

It's definitely mine. That riff is outstanding.

I've always known it was soul, but it sucks when you find out lyrics aren't what you thought.

By the way, does anyone know the lyrics to Grounded? This is the best I've got.

Doctors leaving for the holiday season
Got crystal ice picks, no gift the gab
And in the parking lot, ?????
He never never complains when it's hot

????? in a sauna playing contract bridge
They're soaking up the fauna, doing ????
I don't know which

I know the medical world could knock you out
To sell the coins that you ???? last Thursday
Dine by candlelight, and hold your savings tight
You never never know when the bridge falls apart

We spoke of latent causes, steriles gauzes and the bedside morale
We traipse around the table talking sentences so incomplete

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, got your message on my phone.

"And in the parking lot/is the sedan he bought"

"they're smoking up the fauna/doing blotters/I don't know which"

No clue what comes before the sauna part.

Hey, Laz, where does Modern Girl fall in your Sleater-Kinney rankings? I'm just astounded by that song every time I hear it. Not sure how the fanbase feels about such a pop song coming from them, but I predictably don't give a shit. It's my favorite song I've heard by them.

lazarus said:
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, got your message on my phone.

"And in the parking lot/is the sedan he bought"

"they're smoking up the fauna/doing blotters/I don't know which"

No clue what comes before the sauna part.

No worries. "smoking" makes more sense in the context of the line.

Back
Top Bottom