Random Music Thread LXXII: National Lampoon's Bogan Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm listening to my own concoction of what I think would have been the best flowing, most high quality, shorter version of the White Album right now.

It goes like this, split into 4 vinyl sides:

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter

Lady Madonna
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I'm So Tired
Piggies
Julia

Long, Long, Long
Revolution
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry
Hey Jude
Good Night

Any thoughts?

My thoughts? Anyone who gets rid of Rocky Raccoon, I Will, and Why Don't We Do It In The Road but keeps Savoy Truffle has some serious issues.

Clearly everyone else agrees but failed to speak up.

Also, if you're gonna add non-album tracks like Lady Madonna, you best be putting Harrison's Not Guilty on there too. And like, why not Hey Jude and Revolution? They're from the same sessions.

I don't think that's happened to me with music, but, sadly, it has happened with a book or two. Once it took me like 100 pages or so to realize it was a re-read. I'm an idiot.

I did that once.

Would probably have done it with movies if not for the fact that I almost never watch any. Kind of hard to watch something and realize you've already seen it when you've seen almost nothing. Last movie I saw in theaters was the Robert DowneyJr Sherlock Holmes. And it wasn't the second one.

My thoughts? Anyone who gets rid of Rocky Raccoon, I Will, and Why Don't We Do It In The Road but keeps Savoy Truffle has some serious issues.

About Why Don't We Do It In The Road, I Will, and Rocky Raccoon, I've personally never cared for any of those songs. Usually when I'm listening to them (along with Don't Pass Me By), I'm thinking, "Hey, could the second disc please get here really soon? This is kinda plodding." Whereas I must be in the minority on here in that I think Savoy Truffle is really interesting musically, with a sort of sinister undertone. Similar to Glass Onion to me. But hey, man, if you wanna champion McCartney, it'll be a nice breath of fresh air.

Also, if you're gonna add non-album tracks like Lady Madonna, you best be putting Harrison's Not Guilty on there too.

Oh, didn't realize Not Guilty was release on one of the remastered albums that I have. I really hate mixing and matching different masters as the sound is just completely horribly different. So I simply don't. Ever.

And like, why not Hey Jude and Revolution? They're from the same sessions.

Are you being sarcastic here? Because if you're not, the songs are included on the playlist I made. And if you are, I don't see why as those two songs were definitely recorded during the White Album sessions.

Yay, we're talking about the Beatles, this actually makes the question I'm about to ask iDub on-topic and not just random (which, would, I suppose, still technically be on-topic...[GET ON WITH IT!{Sorry.}]).

I remember you saying that "Twist And Shout" in your opinion was one of the first seeds of punk rock. However, I can't remember if you said that that was specifically the Beatles' version or the song in general. Help?

Many thanks for refreshing my crap memory.

I used to love "I will." Like top ten favorite kind of love. Then all those dum dum dum things in the background started to get on my nerves. You could argue the song is too short to ever go anywhere too irritating, but then again so is "every day" and for as much as I love buddy holly, that typewriter noise tends to do the same thing.

Hey IWB,

I listened to the latest Glasvegas album today, EUPHORIC /// HEARTBREAK \\\, and I really, really, really liked it. Really emotive, has some gorgeous but heavy sounds. Thumbs up all around.

:up:

I don't think that's happened to me with music, but, sadly, it has happened with a book or two. Once it took me like 100 pages or so to realize it was a re-read. I'm an idiot.

Movie, once that I can remember: Last Man Standing. I bought it because it sounded like it might be fun. Got about an hour in before I realized I had seen it.

I love these guys.

So, here in the last few days, I've suddenly got super into David Bowie.

Listened to Aladdin Sane, Young Americans and Hunky Dory. Based on the album's I've heard enough (or at least recently enough) to rank, I'd say that my list would look a little something like this:

Low
Heroes
Ashes to Ashes
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Young Americans
Hunky Dory
*Gap*
Scary Monsters
Let's Dance

There's not much of a gap present in those top 7 at all.

BUT, the important discovery I made today, and I'm not sure why I never noticed this before: "Life on Mars?" Is one of the greatest songs ever written. Seriously. It was as if it punched me in the face while I was listening to it tonight. I had never really noticed, for some reason, and then I was kind of zoned out at work, didn't realize what song I was listening to, got to the chorus and was just kind of wide-eyed and amazed. Awesome music moment. They don't happen all that often.

Oh, and somewhere on that list should probably be the Labyrinth soundtrack, but that thing's in its own little world.

BUT, the important discovery I made today, and I'm not sure why I never noticed this before: "Life on Mars?" Is one of the greatest songs ever written. Seriously. It was as if it punched me in the face while I was listening to it tonight.

I like that song too.

Back to The Jesus and Mary Chain, listening to Honey's Dead. "Almost Gold" is pretty damn fantastic.

Also, this album sounds a LOT like "Lady With the Spinning Head".

Wherever Cobbler is, I hope he's following the #ReplaceLyricsWithTwerk hashtag on Twitter.

Twerkin Around the Christmas Tree is my favorite so far.

Oh, didn't realize Not Guilty was release on one of the remastered albums that I have. I really hate mixing and matching different masters as the sound is just completely horribly different. So I simply don't. Ever.

It's on the Anthology set. Any of that stuff remastered? I don't know.

Are you being sarcastic here? Because if you're not, the songs are included on the playlist I made.

:reject:

Didn't see Hey Jude, and I thought your inclusion of Revolution was simply the album version. Though I did think it odd that there wasn't a "1" after that.

My apologies.

Yay, we're talking about the Beatles, this actually makes the question I'm about to ask iDub on-topic and not just random (which, would, I suppose, still technically be on-topic...[GET ON WITH IT!{Sorry.}]).

I remember you saying that "Twist And Shout" in your opinion was one of the first seeds of punk rock. However, I can't remember if you said that that was specifically the Beatles' version or the song in general. Help?

Many thanks for refreshing my crap memory.

The Beatles' version specifically. The entire band rocking out, Lennon's blown out vocals, it just has the energy that I've come to associate with punk rock songs. I've long ago given up trying to define punk rock, because from a genre standpoint it has so many sub genres and sub categories within those sub genres, invariably someone brings up selling out whenever a discussion attempting to define it comes up...it's just turned into a rock n roll song that kicks ass = a punk rock song. I've always found it kind of hard to relate to opinions from the time comparatively calling certain songs heavier, especially when there have been countless of hardcore and metal sub genres (and sub categories within those sub genres, of course) since then that have wallowed in crunchy, feedback-laden drop turnings galore. Seeing how the previous generation considered songs like that to be loud, obnoxious, devoid of musical talent, and dangerous isn't too easy having grown up with it, and then discovering music that my parents (who grew up with rock n roll in the 60s, where their parents felt the way) thought was too loud and aggressive.

Talk about get on with it...blahblahblah.

The Beatles' version specifically. The entire band rocking out, Lennon's blown out vocals, it just has the energy that I've come to associate with punk rock songs.

Exactly how I feel about it.

Were there other pop songs back then where the singer was screaming with such intensity?

Shiiiiittt, the library closes in 3 minutes, and there is 3 minutes left in the last track on Take Care, Take Care, Take Care. What to do, what to do?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom