Random Music Thread CXIII: Cause Diemen said so

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really just trying to do bare bones stuff right now. Just getting ideas recorded. A couple of very good friends of mine are opening up an actual professional recording studio. I might have mentioned that before.

And I will feel better about being like "Hey guys will you record me please?" if I have at least worked up some little demos to show that I'm not completely clueless.

On unrelated notes, I actually might like synth pop. I am starting to like CHVRCHES, despite the fact that their newest album is sorta boring.

When I was a kid I liked soundtracks to horrible movies. My first cassette I ever purchased was in 1987 for that Michael J Fox movie with Joann Jet called "Light of Day". Sure, the Joshua Tree was released that year, but the 10 year old version of me was an idiot with horrible 10 year old taste.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I did get into Beastie Boys and Run DMC in 87 so I wasn't totally a lost cause. I do find it interesting that I had no idea or concept of U2 that year. Maybe I heard a few songs and thought they were too adult? But I don't recall hearing anything U2 related until 1989.

The earliest U2 songs I can recall hearing are "Mysterious Ways" and "One". I probably did hear some of their stuff from the '80s before that, but I can't really recall that right offhand. Which is strange, because I remember watching MTV in the late '80s when I was little, so surely I would've heard them at some point. But mainly I just remember seeing videos from the Bangles and Peter Gabriel and Genesis on there.

I'll always have a soft spot for '80s songs in general, though, be they synth pop or anything else, because those were some of the first songs I ever heard as a kid. And if I wasn't listening to that stuff, I was listening to my parents' mix tapes and record collections of stuff from the '60s and '70s.

And then there were the Monkees. My mom pretty much raised me on them :D.

Meanwhile, in much more exciting news, I think I might really like The Cars.

I like them, too :).

I was one of those 80s kids that got bit by the Monkees bug thanks to MTV showing the original Monkees show again in 1986 and 1987. Despite them being not much of real act their show was unique and they did let some counter culture musicians like Frank Zappa perform on the show and also had Tim Buckley perform.

I was one of those 80s kids that got bit by the Monkees bug thanks to MTV showing the original Monkees show again in 1986 and 1987. Despite them being not much of real act their show was unique and they did let some counter culture musicians like Frank Zappa perform on the show and also had Tim Buckley perform.

I got into them at the same time.

My first rock concert was The Monkees on their first big reunion tour after the big MTV revival. My mom took me to see them at the Wisconsin state fair. :love:

I was obsessed with the Top Gun soundtrack for a while in 1987. That stemmed mostly from my love of the film, jets, and anthemic type rock.

My parents only listened to old school country, so I had a lot of exposure to Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, etc. They did listen to a bit of '80s country and at one point my favorite song was George Strait's "All my Exes live in Texas". Didn't get into rock music until grunge hit. My high school was obsessed with Pearl Jam.

Funnily enough, what got me into U2 were soundtracks. I and most of my high school was obsessed with the Reality Bites soundtrack and my favorite song was AIWIY. I also adored the Batman Forever soundtrack and to this day HMTMKMKM is one of my top 5 U2 songs.

Growing up in the 80s with my parents was interesting musically because my dad hated anything popular in the 80s and was obsessed with the Beatles. So I heard the Beatles a lot, and on top of that he played their songs on guitar all the time. My mother, on the other hand, absorbed every popular 80s act (except U2, for some reason my 80s life was devoid of U2 until 1989 when I found my aunt's Rattle and Hum cassette). But yeah, the more I think about this the more I realize I was subjected to a lot of soundtracks from that era. I remember my mom owning the Miami Vice soundtrack on cassette...

My parents weren't really into music. My mom had a Neil Diamond album I kind of liked (I Am ... I Said) was on it. My dad had some folk and country, and Harry Belafonte. My favorite was a double-live Peter, Paul & Mary album. Man, I loved that thing.

He also had a box of old 45s from the 60s when he did a short DJ stint on some tiny Michigan radio station. I loved digging through those.

Cars reminds me of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Because of that one scene.

I don't think I know anything by The Cars but it keeps reminding me of Tracy Chapman.

Dad loved his classic rock - I know every single word to Bat Out of Hell and Waking Up the Neighbours, along side Bob Seger, Bruce (but really only Born in the USA) and some Aussie acts like Cold Chisel and Daddy Cool.

I think mum's favourite album is a soundtrack funnily enough - Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Neil Diamond. She also loved Shania Twain and so I grew to love that album that had 47 massive singles on it.

My mom loved jazz , so I listened to Ella Fitzgerald and Dave Brubeck. My dad liked the Temptations. The teenager down the street dug Jimi and Janis.

Me? I couldn't get enough of Herman's Hermits and the Monkees.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom