Random Music Thread CXIII: Cause Diemen said so

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CVzDWkKUYAATxy-.jpg:large

:hmm:

So wait the guy who bought the Wu Tang album is that asshole who tried to raise the price on cancer and HIV pills?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So wait the guy who bought the Wu Tang album is that asshole who tried to raise the price on cancer and HIV pills?

Ugh, seriously?

Well now I REALLY hope they steal it back.

That fucking guy has been brought up in the last several meetings I've had (I work in pharma) and everyone just fucking hates him.

Y Baroness relees album so lat3 in yeer? They mes up my yr end liss I hav not mad3

It's been so long I've already forgotten what it looks like. ;)

The inside cover, back cover, and CD are awful. No booklet of any sort either. Bummer to have to wait to get such a disappointing physical version. CD quality Realiti Demo though. :rockon:

It is. But the album version is nowhere near as bad as people were making it out to be when the album first leaked.

Jesus you would think the demo of Realiti was some magical hybrid of Strawberry Fields Forever and Kind of Blue by the way people talk about its quality.

For me, she's usually good for 3-4 fantastic songs per album and then a lot of cutesy fluff with reverb slathered all over it. But Realiti is a top 10 track for 2015 as far as I'm concerned. When Grimes is on, she's a revelation.

After watching the INXS movie tonight I was reminded of how, at least how I remembered it, INXS were barely a blimp on the American radar for pretty much most of the 90s until Michael passed. I kind of remember Beautiful Girl's weird video and not much else from Welcome to Wherever You Are. Then Full Moon Dirty Hearts promo pics of the guys in flannel. And basically little of anything else to do with the music they released. They couldn't gain traction at all.

Cobbler's official ranking of Sufjan albums

The Age of Adz
Sufjan Stevens Invites You To: Come On Feel the Illinoise
Carrie & Lowell
Seven Swans
Sufjan Stevens Presents... Greetings from Michigan, the Great Lake State

The first three are all stellar. None of them are perfect; Age of Adz loses shape in the middle, Illinoise is way too long and has filler and Carrie & Lowell, though it is definitely his most consistent and coherent, just doesn't have enough moments of warmth to comfort oneself in. I always come away from a listen of it impressed more than I am in love. Seven Swans loses steam in the second half and Michigan I haven't spent enough time with but suffers from similar issues as Illinoise does; not surprising given they're of the same format.

Enough words have been spilled about Illinoise and Carrie & Lowell but I really urge people to give Age of Adz another few shots. It is actually my AOTY, the album I've listened to and come back to more than any other. The first listen I was totally unsure but there were enough tiny glimpses of wonder for me to want to come back and over time - in fact, with pretty much every listen - something else, another moment of astonishing, naked beauty reveals itself to me. Those moments - the final lines of the title track, the short, softball introduction that is Futile Devices, mournful Vesuvius, the chaotic, confused and joyful determination of I Want to Be Well and of course Impossible Soul - take my breath away, they really do. It's one of the most underrated albums I've ever known.

Axver's official ranking of Sufjan Stevens albums:

Listen to something better.

For me, she's usually good for 3-4 fantastic songs per album and then a lot of cutesy fluff with reverb slathered all over it. But Realiti is a top 10 track for 2015 as far as I'm concerned. When Grimes is on, she's a revelation.

I think Art Angels is pretty consistent. I can't think of a bum song on there off the top of my head. I listened to Halfaxa the other day and really enjoyed that one as well - almost a Tim Hecker vibe in the sonic progression of the tracks and the ominous mood.

I think Art Angels is pretty consistent. I can't think of a bum song on there off the top of my head. I listened to Halfaxa the other day and really enjoyed that one as well - almost a Tim Hecker vibe in the sonic progression of the tracks and the ominous mood.

Scream, for one. Terrible fucking song. Venus Fly never quite gets anywhere. There's a whole bunch of 7/10 material on there that I wouldn't return to out of context but isn't really bad or anything either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom