Random Music Talk XXXVIII: robin-hood-brings-a-rainbow.gif

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of andyuk's gods, here's an exchange I had on the facebook page of the "alternative" radio station, triple j.

Me: "Fair enough that jjj are doing Nevermind tributes, but will you give credit to another seminal album that turns 20 this year, U2's Achtung Baby? Poor form if you don't!"
Friend: "Daniel u2 are way too main stream for jjj plus they sold out years ago lol"
Close mate: "U2 is shit"
Me: "Sex on fire topped their hottest 100 poll once, can't get more mainstream than that"
Friend: "touché my friend.."

I left the "sold out" comment alone, but yeah I showed her. Not to mention Achtung Baby is more worthy of recognition than most of the shit they promote, and that's leaving my bias aside.

kaneklapqo6.gif

NSW: thank you for the update! continue to be well.

JT, powerhour and BoMac: Winter Moncton is coming.

So yeah, Minneapolis. (cut because I do carry on)

Who knew such a standard setlist could still result in such a wicked show? I admit, I was nervous, watching the lightning in the distance, and coming closer, and closer, complete (finally) with thunder mere seconds after the strikes, so we knew it was there, and not just off in the distance.

They had emergency evacuation procedures posted around the stadium (even on the jumbotron before the show), and the word was that if there was lightning in the area, the show would be delayed. I thought for sure we'd escaped the threat of storms. The heat had dropped at least 10 degrees by show time, and it didn't feel nearly as humid as it had been.

I don't know - maybe a direct hit to the Claw would have finally caused someone to make that call. It was crazy. I think the rain started, lightly, during Mysterious Ways, and then it continued throughout the bulk of the show, torrentially so at times.

Thank god my mom brought ponchos, and had it not been pouring rain, I would have taken a picture of us in our drenched ponchos. (My folks enjoyed the show; my step-sister really loved it.)

The crowd was amazing. The only people I noticed sitting in our section were my parents (their feet hurt!), and only a few people left early, that I could see. A couple in front of us left before the encore, and one guy left immediately after the closest lightning bolt, but that was about it.

The floor was maybe the most packed I'd seen on the tour - you could tell it was smaller. Really, not a bad seat in the place.

But yeah, the band? I don't know what it is about rain and these guys, but it gives them super powers or something. The crowd loved Bono's Singin' In the Rain snippets, and he got us singing it as they were leaving the stage again.

They seemed like they were having so much fun, and Bono seemed so impressed by the crowd reaction, I thought for sure they were going to bust out with something different, but oh well. What a great show.

(Note of minutiae only of interest to U2 nerds like us: Edge's guitar went a bit wonky during Until the End of the World when he first tried to go onto the bridge, and I guess he didn't want to risk it happening again, so he wasn't on the bridge for the ending bit where the bridges move together. Boo!)

Anyway. Lighting! Thunder! Torrential rain! Bono without his sunglasses! (I really don't care about Adam and his damned shirt.) Fireworks over the river during part of the show!

That was some good times. Wish those of you who'd thought about coming could have gone. :)

Oh my god cori I FINALLY get your avatar hahaha

33z7bso.gif

Or, alternatively:

340x-7.gif

I once heard Imagine reinterpreted as a capitalist fantasy anthem. It was a thing of utter repugnance.

Let it Be > Imagine

THAT'S IT!

You bolshy, gloopy bratchny. Appy polly loggies, but have you totally lost your rassoodock? Because that is the biggest load of cal I've ever slooshied come out of your rot. I'd klop you in the yarbles given the chance.

Yes, the Clockwork Orange-speak is now a thing. I'm only going to use it when I reply to Cobbler, though.

You think it's easy, but you're wrong
I am not one half of the problem
Zurich is stained, and it's not my fault
Just hold me back or let me run

^ Why wasn't that on the best of?!

And yes, I was referring to the song. How you described Imagine, laz, is how I feel about Let it Be. Perfect pop number and one of my favourite songs ever. Nothing to do with overexposure as I've probably heard Let it Be as many times as well.

They are all, as my mate would say, "surfboards". Who's the third one?

^ Why wasn't that on the best of?!

Reason #1 that a Pavement comp was never going to work right.

I maintain that if you're just some schmuck who thinks indie rock has to do with the music they play at the Indy 500, buy Crooked Rain and go from there.

Why does everyone love the fucking Kooks :scream: they're rubbish!

I just listened to Zurich is Stained. Pretty great for a sub2min song.

Gob is definitely my favourite character so far. I figured out where I knew him from too; he played the weird MRI guy that Leslie went on a date with. And apparently they're married in real life! Rolling up on his segway as the banana stand was burning and then retreating after Michael asked him about the cheque, hilarious. As was "I've made a huge mistake" two seconds after he told his girlfriend they were a family. And is it just me or are the "next week on AD..." bits just meta? Cos I don't think they appear in the actual eps? And shit Portia Di Rossi is hot. Cera is really typecast.

Holy shit you people have a good track record.

Gob is definitely my favourite character so far. I figured out where I knew him from too; he played the weird MRI guy that Leslie went on a date with. And apparently they're married in real life! Rolling up on his segway as the banana stand was burning and then retreating after Michael asked him about the cheque, hilarious. As was "I've made a huge mistake" two seconds after he told his girlfriend they were a family. And is it just me or are the "next week on AD..." bits just meta? Cos I don't think they appear in the actual eps? And shit Portia Di Rossi is hot. Cera is really typecast.

eww, i hate kooks.

yeah, that's the "on the next ad" bit for you. i love it. totally agree with you about george michael (not the singer-songwriter) too. i can't

i'm pretty sure i don't love kooks. i'm not even sure what that is.

Whoever said it takes more muscles to frown than to smile was full of shit.

i'm partial to saying my mother was right--if you hold your face in any one expression for too long, it really does get stuck that way.

and mr. not-safe-for-work, it's good to hear your circulatory system is doing better. :up:

I just listened to Zurich is Stained. Pretty great for a sub2min song.

I'm really glad you're enjoying it. :) Then again, I've never met anyone who hasn't liked it when they've watched it.

GOB is my favourite too. "Next episode..." bit is (good) bullshit most of the time, but there are a few cases where it does set up for the next one. Of course you like Portia, she's from Geelong!

i didn't like the first episode i saw, but some former posters at this place (unless they're still here and going by different names now, but i'm pretty sure they're gone) convinced me to start at the beginning. i still think that's the single worst episode of the show, but i'm not sure why i hated it as much as i initially did. fucking hilarious.

THERE IS ALWAYS MONEY IN THE BANANA STAND.

I once heard Imagine reinterpreted as a capitalist fantasy anthem. It was a thing of utter repugnance.

Nothing will ever top this:

Cock of America sings Shuttlecock's One

THAT'S IT!

You bolshy, gloopy bratchny. Appy polly loggies, but have you totally lost your rassoodock? Because that is the biggest load of cal I've ever slooshied come out of your rot. I'd klop you in the yarbles given the chance.

Yes, the Clockwork Orange-speak is now a thing. I'm only going to use it when I reply to Cobbler, though.

In short, Friggin' Cobbler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom