Random Music Talk XXXVII: Powerhour cares more about Spotify than you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reggo said:
Moody?

I've always thought of Sgt. Pepper as a concert concept album. It's The Beatles as Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band playing these songs. "It was 20 years ago today/ Sgt Pepper taught the band to play" It's a band doing a farewell/reunion/nostalgia tour, and these were their biggest hits. And they're mostly songs about everyday life: friends making your life worth living, treating your woman right, household chores (alternatively, wrestling with a drug addiction. Doing household chores while on drugs?), your grown daughter going off to live her own life, going to the circus, hoping your wife will still love you when you're old and grey, wanting to blow off work and go have fun for a day. The main set is Sgt Pepper through its reprise, and then A Day In The Life is the encore. And what's the album been about? A day in the life of all these characters they've created: Lucy, Rita, Mr Kite. I could be totally wrong, but this is how I interpret Sgt Pepper.

Cool. Never heard of that myself, but it works.

I've always interpreted the "concept" of Sgt. Pepper to be a marketing scheme/excuse to utilize the new "banding" technologies of the time. :wink:

You think their music is a catastrophe.

My parents saw Steely Dan on their reunion tour in 93, but they didn't think my 2 year old self was cool enough to rock out with them and left me with my grandma. Now, I have the opportunity to get cheap-ass lawn seats just like they did. Sounds like fate to me.

DO IT.

Do you think it's a catastrophe that I think their music is a catastrophe?

There's something supremely wrong with the fact that I'm quite sure that I'll be seeing Steely Dan in two weeks, but next weekend and my life will continue to have a noticeable lack of Paul McCartney :sigh:

Ha ha. /Nelson Muntz

My work here is done.

You think their music is a catastrophe.

My parents saw Steely Dan on their reunion tour in 93, but they didn't think my 2 year old self was cool enough to rock out with them and left me with my grandma. Now, I have the opportunity to get cheap-ass lawn seats just like they did. Sounds like fate to me.

One last thing: holy old people, Batman. I was one of the younger ones there, and I don't get to say that all that often these days. :wink:

VintagePunk said:
Ha ha. /Nelson Muntz

My work here is done.

I'm taking her to see Erasure a month later. I like Ship of Fools, she likes Reeling In The Years. We can work it out. :wink:

Ok, so Reggo talking about her interpretation reminded me that there was something I wanted to look up.

As I've gotten more into Fleetwood Mac, I've begun to really feel strongly about the lyrics in "Landslide", and slowly I began to believe the song was about Lindsay. Last night, I shared this with Travis, and he said that he'd never thought about it that way,but it worked. Of course, Songmeanings had nothing to say on the matter. But, just now I went and did a quick google search and:

I wrote it (Landslide) for Lindsey - for him, about him. It's dear to both of us because it's about us. We're out there singing about our lives.
~Stevie Nicks Q Magazine, January 2004

Victory.

bono_212 said:
BUT THAT'S FOR MY BIRTHDAY! :glare:

I didn't get to see anyone for my birthday. All I saw was the cold, unforgiving stare of poverty.

(We had wedding money, but we used it on a place to live :angry: )

tumblr_lchhvn9rvO1qa0bqi.gif

Nothing to do to, save his life, call his wife in
Nothing to say but, "What a day, how's your boy been?"
Nothing to do, it's up to you
I've got nothing to say but it's ok
Good morning, good morning, good morning

Going to work, don't want to go feeling low down
Heading for home, you start to roam, then you're in town
Everybody knows there's nothing doing
Everything is closed, it's like a ruin
Everyone you see is half asleep
And you're on your own, you're in the street
Good morning, good morning

After a while you start to smile, now you feel cool
Then you decide to take a walk by the old school
Nothing had changed, it's still the same

People running around, it's five o'clock
Everywhere in town it's getting dark
Everyone you see is full of life
It's time for tea and meet the wife

Somebody needs to know the time, glad that I'm here
Watching the skirts start to flirt, now you're in gear
Go to a show, you hope she goes

I love those lyrics.

Do you think it's a catastrophe that I think their music is a catastrophe?

You're in crisis.

While I have always been under the impression that Sgt. Peppers is a concept album, I have always been told that the concept is loose at best. The concept being that all of the songs are about broken hearts.

Not saying your concept doesn't work, just putting that out there. In fact, I find it pretty damn interesting.

Didn't John himself admit as much? Something like there's no concept out of the title track, its reprise, and the "Biiiiiiilllleeeee Sheeeeears!!!" bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom