Random Music Talk XXXVI: Not this time, Cobbler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help. It's strange, as I do not seem to have any button that corresponds with that. Maybe I have an outdated version or something. I'll head over to the technology forum (by the way "Vorsprung durch Technik" was a far better name than the current one).

Also, it seems that I need to familiarize myself with The Drums.

I'm sure it's just the lyrics, but this song reminds me so much of The Smiths:

‪The Drums - Best Friend‬‏ - YouTube

But, yes, love them.

Did I just get "ummm no" 'd by Laz?

Damn. :(

:wave:

While you referred to the entire More Adventurous album as "good", I don't think Portions For Foxes (a song with a great hook and a guitar sound that sounds really close to Hedge's style BTW) is the lone highlight.

And actually, I think the band is at its best when they strip down as opposed to rocking out, which is usually a little eye-rolling. Even a potentially great song like Does He Love You climaxes with this unnecessary electric guitar solo with strings behind it, which just doesn't work.

Lewis has a great voice but also a distinct lyrical presence, and while I find guitarist Blake Sennett annoying sometimes (esp. when he takes a lead vocal), I do think they work better as a band than Jenny by herself (her albums are good, often great, but not as satisfying).

Anyway, here are some other Rilo Kiley tracks from More Adventurous that I think are all PHENOMENAL and should be heard by any interested parties:

‪Rilo Kiley- More Adventurous (High Quality)‬‏ - YouTube

‪The Absence of God by Rilo Kiley‬‏ - YouTube

‪Rilo Kiley A Man/Me/Then Jim‬‏ - YouTube

...and a couple of older ones that are also great:

‪Rilo Kiley - With arms outstrecthed‬‏ - YouTube

‪The Execution Of All Things‬‏ - YouTube

‪Rilo Kiley - Go Ahead‬‏ - YouTube

...and the best song off their final, spotty album:

‪Silver Lining-Rilo Kiley +lyrics‬‏ - YouTube

"Does He Love You" was always my favorite track on that Rilo album. "Silver Lining" from the followup was really great, but the rest of that one sounded awful to me. I've preferred her solo stuff on the whole. Rabbit Fur Coat much more than Acid Tongue, although the title track on the latter is still one of my favorite tunes of the last however many years.

October 24th will be a landmark day in the life of Impster.

For sure. If I get a chance to shoot the shit with her again, I'm going to go ahead and ask her out for a drink. Nothing to lose, so why not? We got along really well as far as I could tell.

And lastly, how much are you loving the ESPYs, No Broken Serves?

212, saying that the song reminds you of The Smiths was probably the most effective endorsement you could have given. I will listen to the song when I get a chance.

How much time did you spend with her before?

Fifteen minutes. Maybe a bit more. Kind of went by too quick. Regrettably didn't get a chance to talk at all after the ACL taping the following day since artists have to do an interview in the dressing room after they play.

212, saying that the song reminds you of The Smiths was probably the most effective endorsement you could have given. I will listen to the song when I get a chance.

Definitely was thinking that through when I threw their name out there :wink:

Fifteen minutes. Maybe a bit more. Kind of went by too quick. Regrettably didn't get a chance to talk at all after the ACL taping the following day since artists have to do an interview in the dressing room after they play.
That's legit. Go for it.

iyup, is it too late for me to rearrange offer advice about your trip to Utah?

Not too late - looks like I will be there beginning on Monday. I'm in Vegas at the moment. Every time that I am here, I grapple with how it simultaneously feels otherworldly and extremely emblematic of Americana. What a strange place.

Alright, I probably will not be on the Internet again until after I see U2 for the first time tomorrow night. Allow me to break out a rare bit of sincerity for just a moment:

I'm not sure what kind of person posts tens of thousands of times on a U2 message board for over five years before even seeing the band live for the first time, but here we are. I had no idea what the hell I was getting into when I first signed up for this place back at the end of my freshman year of high school. I wasted incredible amounts of time and have probably posted too much personal information to ever get a job once I'm done school, whilst using up an unreasonably large percentage of my brain remembering inside jokes and other bullshit. But beyond all that, I still think it's been worth it thanks to the people I've come across doing it. And tomorrow, for the first time, I will get to experience what has brought all of you together here. For all the bemoaning and joking I have participated in regarding what the band has done for the past five years, let me just say emphatically that I am legitimately excited to see them live and will probably be downright giddy by the time Interpol leaves the stage tomorrow night to yield to U2. The band that made me fall in love with rock music, made me pick up the guitar for the first time, and has soundtracked many parts of life up to this point. At the end of the day, I love this band, and tomorrow night will undoubtedly reaffirm that forever.

You've all been a part of an incredibly long journey that has brought me to this point for me, so I just wanted to say thank you.

Not too late - looks like I will be there beginning on Monday. I'm in Vegas at the moment. Every time that I am here, I grapple with how it simultaneously feels otherworldly and extremely emblematic of Americana. What a strange place.

Good idea. Get here, then gtfo before Pioneer Days start. :up:

Alright, I probably will not be on the Internet again until after I see U2 for the first time tomorrow night. Allow me to break out a rare bit of sincerity for just a moment:

I'm not sure what kind of person posts tens of thousands of times on a U2 message board for over five years before even seeing the band live for the first time, but here we are. I had no idea what the hell I was getting into when I first signed up for this place back at the end of my freshman year of high school. I wasted incredible amounts of time and have probably posted too much personal information to ever get a job once I'm done school, whilst using up an unreasonably large percentage of my brain remembering inside jokes and other bullshit. But beyond all that, I still think it's been worth it thanks to the people I've come across doing it. And tomorrow, for the first time, I will get to experience what has brought all of you together here. For all the bemoaning and joking I have participated in regarding what the band has done for the past five years, let me just say emphatically that I am legitimately excited to see them live and will probably be downright giddy by the time Interpol leaves the stage tomorrow night to yield to U2. The band that made me fall in love with rock music, made me pick up the guitar for the first time, and has soundtracked many parts of life up to this point. At the end of the day, I love this band, and tomorrow night will undoubtedly reaffirm that forever.

You've all been a part of an incredibly long journey that has brought me to this point for me, so I just wanted to say thank you.

:up: have fun :up:

Well said, Dan.

Have a blast, and report back as soon as you can, please....

Aww, that was sweet, Peef.

Edit: That sounds sarcastic. I really meant that this is a sweet post. I can't wait for your post-concert report. Seeing them for the first time is something I'll never forget and I'm way excited for you.

Have an awesome time, Peif Ericson! Bring a magazine and hemorrhoid donut for Interpol.

You're welcome, urine appreciator. Judging from my own experiences this leg, as well as others here, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. Having seen U2 in Philly before, I can assure you that U2 treats them right, whether they deserve it or not.

Shit, did you smile writing that post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom