Random Music Talk XXXI: Rapture? I Hardly Met Her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say given what we know about the diversity of the material they've been working on and the Edge's comments about the stress of 360 combined with the Spider-Man fiasco, I'm inclined to believe what he alluded to, they just don't know what direction to go in at the moment. It's disappointing, and I wish NLOTH had been received they way they wanted (I guess one song breaking through on the radio would have pushed it over) and they could have had this be a tour of multiple albums in that vein before moving on, but we are where we are and given the amount of stuff they're working on I have a good amount of hope they won't be gone for an extended period of time.

Oh, in my own personal U2 news, I'm seriously considering canceling my trip to Anaheim :)sad:), I'm in the middle of the interview process for a new job and it might not work to say 'yeah I really want this job, but I can't come in for the follow-up until next week because I'm going to be rocking out in California and going to Disneyland'). Oh well, I'll still have Montreal and Moncton. But if anyone needs GAs for Anaheim, PM me.

corianderstem said:
I think it was because they just got cold feet or decided they didn't think it was good enough, or whatever.

And to think "Stand Up Referee" was...

Oh, in my own personal U2 news, I'm seriously considering canceling my trip to Anaheim :)sad:), I'm in the middle of the interview process for a new job and it might not work to say 'yeah I really want this job, but I can't come in for the follow-up until next week because I'm going to be rocking out in California and going to Disneyland'). Oh well, I'll still have Montreal and Moncton. But if anyone needs GAs for Anaheim, PM me.

Bummer.....but good luck with the interview process! :up:

And to think "Stand Up Referee" was...

What a horrid, horrid song.

Thanks NSW, it's especially disappointing given I've been planning this trip for practically 2 years now :lol:.

Both in Anaheim for sure.....possibly Oakland. Anything else would be a very spur of the moment decision, but, I'll have seen them on this tour enough after the two Anaheim shows, methinks.

Yeah, it seems like a huge contingent of Interference is going to be at the Anaheim shows, makes not being able to go even more depressing. I haven't given up hope that the timeline will work out, but I'll have to make my cancellations within 2 weeks of the June 16th, so time is running out to figure it out.

I know the Claw won't be arriving until probably next Tuesday or so, but I couldn't help but look longingly at Qwest Field as my bus went by this morning.

I won't be able to look for activity every day between now and next week. You know, just in case they're early.

Yeah, it seems like a huge contingent of Interference is going to be at the Anaheim shows, makes not being able to go even more depressing. I haven't given up hope that the timeline will work out, but I'll have to make my cancellations within 2 weeks of the June 16th, so time is running out to figure it out.

I'm looking forward to avoiding many of said contingent, but, I will hang out with a few for sure. :)

unless you are intimating that appearances on AI are symptomatic of what plagues the band lately.

Lately?

Yes, that is what I'm implying. This need to be all things to all people that's been their apparent raison d'être for the last 10+ years, to which No Net is looking more like a brief exception.

I still don't think Spiderman was the reason for any delay of new material. It may have contributed, but from everything they've said, I think it was because they just got cold feet or decided they didn't think it was good enough, or whatever.

How can anyone say this? The band is known for needing a lot of time with their recording process. More time spent on Spider-FAIL = less time availabk to work on an album. It's a very simple equation.

Also, this is a band which I think we can agree does not have as firm an artistic confidence as they should 30+ years into a hugely successful career, so to suggest that the debacle with the musical (and the quality of the songs were criticized heavily in most reviews) hasn't affected their perception of other recent recorded material is a little naive, IMO.

Laz, I thought you had been with me on that opinion at one point, about Spiderman not being that big of a factor in a delayed album?

I think it WAS a factor, but not the one thing to point at for blame. I'd blame their cold feet or general wishy-washiness before I blamed the musical.

Lately?

Yes, that is what I'm implying. This need to be all things to all people that's been their apparent raison d'être for the last 10+ years, to which No Net is looking more like a brief exception.

No Line looks like the exemplar of that raison rather than the exception - some tepid experimentation mixed with a handful of instantly-identifiable U2 songs.

Yeah, much as I like NLOTH, the released album does fit into that model, which is depressing given how exciting the original conception of the project was. Some day I pray we'll get to hear the original sessions from Fez, beyond those snippets we heard in those interview clips a few years back.

Hand him his ticket, gas up your car, and have a ball. Mofo is a fine concert companion. Feed him pancakes and everything's alright.
That's my plan. Except I'm taking public transport. he's up in the seats, so I probably will not see him at all.

146142_the-edge-justin-bieber-william-and-bono-are-spotted-backstage-during-the-2011-billboard-music-awards.jpg

It was then that a new super group was formed, and they were to be known as Justin Bieber and The Dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom