Random Music Talk XXX: Bow Chicka Wow Wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was funny when they referenced things Bono actually did, like when they had him say lines from Vertigo. Other than that, I didn't find it particularly funny.

To be honest, I don't know about the entire Dirty Projectors album, I was more talking about that specific song. I've heard 4 or 5 other songs from it, and didn't like any of them as much as the title track remake/cover.

I have to admit that I actually like 'Liar' quite a bit, especially the music video. Don't really have an overwhelming opinion on anything else.

oh, just the one song i can do. the idea of the entire album sounded horrendous.

I didn't think it was funny, but then I'm not a fan of scatalogical humor.

well, i never would have realized that was supposed to be "rise above" had i not know going into it. without paying attention to the lyrics (which had i heard it under circumstances under which i was unaware of what it was, i wouldn't have been since they sort of made my ears bleed), i wouldn't have known it was anything i'd ever heard before at all. holy fuck, batman, that was painful.

I thought it was funny when they referenced things Bono actually did, like when they had him say lines from Vertigo. Other than that, I didn't find it particularly funny.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The only other non-Bono thing I remember from the episode is that they said bad things about PF Chang's, and I effing love PF Chang's.

The "yeah yeah yeah" stuff was hilarious.

well, i never would have realized that was supposed to be "rise above" had i not know going into it. without paying attention to the lyrics (which had i heard it under circumstances under which i was unaware of what it was, i wouldn't have been since they sort of made my ears bleed), i wouldn't have known it was anything i'd ever heard before at all. holy fuck, batman, that was painful.

It'll be okay.

I hope your house burns down tonight.

Wow. Uh, music feels so much more alive through vinyl. Never expected that.

of course. full of surprises, that one is.

Cool. I must find a way to sneak it into The Fray in my purse.

I was just thinking of The Who's A Quick One While He's Away and Green Day's cover. And I think I've figured out why I hate it so much. Try as he might, Billie Joe is no Roger Daltrey. That and they didn't do anything interesting with the song, they just played it completely straight.

Cool. I must find a way to sneak it into The Fray in my purse.

I was just thinking of The Who's A Quick One While He's Away and Green Day's cover. And I think I've figured out why I hate it so much. Try as he might, Billie Joe is no Roger Daltrey. That and they didn't do anything interesting with the song, they just played it completely straight.

the world would thank you for that :yes:

as much as i apparently don't like what the dirty projectors did with "rise above," at least it's an honest attempt at re-making the song instead of a boring straight up copy. a few weeks back when, at least i think it was a random music thread but it might have been somewhere else in here, there was that brief discussion about acoustic versions of songs (mainly acoustic u2 stuff). that's what i don't like about 90% of the so-called acoustic versions of things i've heard from pretty much any band i've ever hear do an acoustic version of their songs. it's just a non-electric or a non-full band version of a song with nothing really different added or changed other than a couple minor details because logistics dictated such. springsteen is the only person i can think of who i've ever heard consistently not fuck it up, and i could probably name one or two other exceptions from a couple other bands, but most acoustic versions of things don't do anything for me for that reason.

i never had the misfortune of hearing it a million times. so i still don't think it sucks.

It's not even that I'm still sick of it (although I'm sure I got plenty sick of it at the time), it's just that I don't like it nearly as much as I used to.

san francisco bay blues on that album is better, anyway. it haz kazoo.

It wasn't overplayed for me, either. I heard the acoustic version first, cuz I'm a young'n and didn't listen to classic rock much as a young'n. And I hated the song. And avoided the electric song forever because of how much I hated the acoustic version. And then I listened to the electric version once at a friend's house or in a movie or something... and loved it. And wondered why he'd ruin the song with a horrible, horrible stain from that acoustic version.

the world would thank you for that :yes:

as much as i apparently don't like what the dirty projectors did with "rise above," at least it's an honest attempt at re-making the song instead of a boring straight up copy. a few weeks back when, at least i think it was a random music thread but it might have been somewhere else in here, there was that brief discussion about acoustic versions of songs (mainly acoustic u2 stuff). that's what i don't like about 90% of the so-called acoustic versions of things i've heard from pretty much any band i've ever hear do an acoustic version of their songs. it's just a non-electric or a non-full band version of a song with nothing really different added or changed other than a couple minor details because logistics dictated such. springsteen is the only person i can think of who i've ever heard consistently not fuck it up, and i could probably name one or two other exceptions from a couple other bands, but most acoustic versions of things don't do anything for me for that reason.
:evil:

Exactly. I liked maybe half of the Amnesty International instant Karma album for that exact reason. The ones that did something a little different with the song are the ones I enjoyed.

I like both versions of Layla. I have the Derek And The Dominoes version on my iPod, fwiw.

I like both versions of Layla. I have the Derek And The Dominoes version on my iPod, fwiw.

i've got both of them as well. although the only thing i listen to featuring clapton in any capacity with any regularity is crossroads, and mostly for nostalgia reasons. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom