Random Music Talk XXVIII: I CAN HAZ COCKROPA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, has anyone noticed that they cut the third verse in that song that trended on Twitter tonight? Either they cut it or Bono forgot the lyrics. That bothers me a little when I listen to it.

FamousDC-Debbie-Downer-Supreme-Court.jpg

Why is the whole trending on Twitter thing turning people on?

It's awesome that they added the song to the set list, but the Twitter thing seems to be kind of a lame thing to be excited about. That's just me, though.

Yay for remembering that Zooropa is a song that exists, but I didn't like this rendition very much. Sounded like a lot of what they were doing was just keying up samples from the album without a solid twist on it.

Umm, it sounds pretty damned close to the original. What's wrong with it, other than they're not really being very creative with the performance?

Also, it does take almost two minutes to kick in, which scares me in terms of it sticking around. But at least it DOES kick in, which is why Your Jew Room never would have worked in this setting.

It looks like there's some pretty specific visual accompaniment, so maybe they are going to give it a go for a while. I will say that if you're going to put "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" up on the screen, they really should finish by driving that "DREAM OUT LOUD" message home, which should be the band's motto, especially on this tour.

Here's a little blast from the blast, and I honestly don't even remember writing it. A nice mix of Lance's Mom vulgarity and badminton:

COCKROPA

(what cock do you want?)
(what cock do you want?)
Cockropa...vorswing durch cocknik
Cockropa...beat all teams you can beat
Hit a winner
Lead's gettin' slimmer

Cockropa...a bluer kind of sport
Cockropa...it could be on the court
We're young and green
And steroid-clean

Cockropa...player by design
Cockropa...pry the friendly thighs
Through new racquet science
We've got that swing of confidence

And I have no towel
And I have no jock
And I have no reasons
No reasons to get cock

And I have no ranking
And I don't know who's hot
And I don't know the limit
The limit of what we've shot

Don't worry birdie, it'll be all set
You got the right moves
To get you to the net
It's cold outside, court brightly lit
Skip the forehand
Let's go to the overhead
Get your staff out of the clay baby
Put shuttles in the clay baby
Overhead

No particular placement
No particular swing
I've been chafing
What am I chafing from?

Don't worry birdie, it's gonna be all set
Uncertainty can be a going threat
I hear voices, referee's voices
Out of the boundaries
Let's go, let's go overhead
Take your staff out of the clay baby

She's gonna serve up
The world she wants to live in
She's gonna serve out loud
She's gonna serve out loud

OK though, the lack of enthusiasm from even this ecstatic Brazilian crowd has me worried, come off it people, it's fucking Zooropa! That said, why were the band kind of hiding during the song? Also, super awesome use of the Claw for this song though, :drool:.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Why is the whole trending on Twitter thing turning people on?

It's awesome that they added the song to the set list, but the Twitter thing seems to be kind of a lame thing to be excited about. That's just me, though.

Really? It's the most popular form or social media in the world, and U2 playing Zooropa caused the word Zooropa to be one of the 10 most popular topics in the world, across billions of people, for an hour or so.

I understand people who aren't remotely interested or excited by social media, but come on, that's pretty damn cool!

Umm, it sounds pretty damned close to the original. What's wrong with it, other than they're not really being very creative with the performance?

Well, the key to the song for me is the slow build-and-release, and I don't feel that here, it just sort of goes for a while and then stops.

It's the first time it's been played live in 18 years, and the first time they've ever attempted the beginning of the song, I think you're being hypercritical, unless maybe you don't like the song to begin with?

Really? It's the most popular form or social media in the world, and U2 playing Zooropa caused the word Zooropa to be one of the 10 most popular topics in the world, across billions of people, for an hour or so.

I understand people who aren't remotely interested or excited by social media, but come on, that's pretty damn cool!

Doesn't do it for me.

(Also, I'm pretty sure Facebook has more users than Twitter, but that doesn't really matter.)

I guess it's just a personal thing. I cringe at the idea of this becoming a big part of our societal lexicon: "Did you see what was "trending" yesterday!?!?"

Fuck that. 99% of the people who post on Twitter are in need of shock therapy, anyway. And how many different "trending topics" are there in a 24 hour period? Big deal. It's so fickle. And it's usually totally insipid bullshit, too. A U2 song lumped in with shit like #badfirstdates and #bieberfever for a few minutes? Ehhhh. Doesn't really rev my engine.

Very happy that they brought the song back, though! And I hope they play it at Soldier Field in July.

It's the first time it's been played live in 18 years,
Definitely happy about that
and the first time they've ever attempted the beginning of the song,
The poached advertising lyrics are wonderfully clever
I think you're being hypercritical, unless maybe you don't like the song to begin with?
....but what they played tonight felt a little too even for the song. And if you're going to sample the album effects (which is a totally fair and legit choice), '93 Wembley had Adam playing a little bouncier on the bass to give it a slightly different vibe. :shrug: I mean, I'm not like booo burn it with fire.

I'd be kind of interested to see if the band could spin some brief transitional instrumental out of the naive 4th of July bass into the ominous Zooropa intro piano/synth.

So, I checked out the new Glasvegas last night, it's a lot less fuzzy shoegaze than their debut, and the lyrics aren't as strangely evocative this time around, but the electronic instrumentation adds a vibe that makes them less like an 80s throwback and more their own thing, the one solid improvement is that Allan's figured out how to corral that accented voice of his into melody much moreso this time around. "Shine Like Stars" is a pretty killer track.

i had forgotten about this. thanks for the reminder.

I must be the only one here who likes In a Little While. I understand that its inclusion in the setlist is a bit confounding, but the fact that it has become the whipping boy of the tour doesn't really make sense to me.

nah, i like that song. but i think if i were actually following setlists, checking out bootlegs/youtube videos, and constantly kept seeing it and was aware of its presence, i'd hate it like i hate anything that gets overplayed (whether it be u2 or any other band). but since i did actually like it quite a bit when that album came out, it's not in my face right now, and i don't even think i've listened to it more than twice in the last 5 years, i have no animosity toward the song.

oh, and welcome back, nsw. i still read that all dyslexic-like and think it's supposed to be not work safe.

My gripe is that some people have come to hate IALW/Atty Club because it's being played each night at shows they're not attending. That's fucking ridiculous. Why throw your computer out the window every time you hear it's been played as you post in the setlist party threads? Why not do something constructive?

With all this Zooropa talk, I pulled out Zooropa and listened to it for the first time in a couple years today. Forgot how awesome "Daddys Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" is.

My list:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. All That You Cant Leave Behind
5. Boy
6. No Line On The Horizon
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Zooropa
9. Rattle & Hum
10. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
11. War
12. October
13. Passengers

My gripe is that some people have come to hate IALW/Atty Club because it's being played each night at shows they're not attending.

Well if you're into following setlists on the internet (personally never saw the appeal), then a setlist is all you have to judge a show by and naturally people would fret over some inclusions and omissions.

Saracene said:
Well if you're into following setlists on the internet (personally never saw the appeal), then a setlist is all you have to judge a show by and naturally people would fret over some inclusions and omissions.

Agreed, but surely it's stupid to go from liking a song/album to hating it because the band is playing it every night, particularly if you're not there.

i think i will listen to zooropa today. i bet none of you believe me for a minute. i'm gonna skip lemon, but i will listen to the rest of that album.

i think what i don't understand is how people are into following setlists for shows they're not attending. are they just using them to gauge the setlist they might be getting for a future show they are attending?

damn you people for reminding me that i had beckett to read. oh well. if my slacker-ass does finally wade through the rest of the book i am currently reading, my brother will be happy to hear i finally got around to that trilogy.

You look like you've been for breakfast at the Heartbreak Hotel
And sat in the back booth
by the pamphlets and the literature
on how to lose
Your waitress was miserable
and so was your food
If you're gonna try and walk on water
make sure you wear your comfortable shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom