Random Music Talk XXVIII: I CAN HAZ COCKROPA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Life has been treating me very well the last few months, thanks. And, you say such sweet things.

I miss Chicago a tiny bit, been gone over a year and a half now, wow.

No Rose lately, no Beckett lately. I've been lax with both.

Also, was supposed to see Asobi Seksu here in LA last month, but wound up going to Spring Training that weekend so I missed them yet again. Do you like their new album?

And, how is life treating you?

Man, time flies. Seriously.

I heard the new Asobi Seksu like twice, I think...? It seemed very solid, but also very unspectacular. Nothing on there like "Thursday," that's for sure. Haven't seen them live in, man...like two years, I think. One of my friends in London saw them about a year ago, though, and reports that they are still horribly loud and all kinds of good. And speaking of baseball, I saw the Cubs lose to the Pirates, last week. I am inching ever closer toward the age of 30, and I have still yet to see the Cubs win a game, in person. Unbelievable. Something like 0-16, at this point.

Life's all right, I guess. Could be a whole lot better, but could be a whole, whole lot worse. Glad to hear that you found something to dig, on the new Radiohead record. It really spoke to me, as well. I enjoyed its incredible restraint and almost absurd attention to detail in the same way I enjoy the films of Bela Tarr.

By the way, I told you to listen to Zola Jesus, nearly two years ago. That ever pan out?

Man, time flies. Seriously.

I heard the new Asobi Seksu like twice, I think...? It seemed very solid, but also very unspectacular. Nothing on there like "Thursday," that's for sure. Haven't seen them live in, man...like two years, I think. One of my friends in London saw them about a year ago, though, and reports that they are still horribly loud and all kinds of good. And speaking of baseball, I saw the Cubs lose to the Pirates, last week. I am inching ever closer toward the age of 30, and I have still yet to see the Cubs win a game, in person. Unbelievable. Something like 0-16, at this point.

Life's all right, I guess. Could be a whole lot better, but could be a whole, whole lot worse. Glad to hear that you found something to dig, on the new Radiohead record. It really spoke to me, as well. I enjoyed its incredible restraint and almost absurd attention to detail in the same way I enjoy the films of Bela Tarr.

By the way, I told you to listen to Zola Jesus, nearly two years ago. That ever pan out?

That's unreal, that you've never seen them win a fucking game. I've seen them win a few and only lived there for 2 years. I still marvel at the fact that I lived a mile from Wrigley and could just walk to games. That was awesome. The Cubs are 0-3 with me attending their playoff games, just so you know. :)

Yeah, the new album is ok, not great. I still need to see them LIVE, though, some day.

I found plenty to dig on King of Limbs, and, good point about the restraint. I am in love with the last 4 songs.

Glad life is at least decent for you......

Recently re-read The Unnameable, as well. Still better than Ulysses!

I never even got to The Unnameable. I read...Molloy? I think it's Molloy, and that was it. As for Ulysses, I read that in HS, on my own, and when I finished I felt like I was perhaps the biggest idiot on Earth because I didn't feel like I understood or "got" most of it. I think I immediately read "It" by King afterwards to make sure I could at least completely follow along. :)

I have to admit that for all the reading I do and have done since childhood, there's a certain literary threshold I should rarely cross.

ETA - As for Zola Jesus, good stuff. Love her voice.

Yeah, Molloy is the first one in the trilogy. The passage on farts/mathematics remains one of my favorite moments in the history of literature:

And in winter, under my greatcoat, I wrapped myself in swathes of newspaper, and did not shed them until the earth awoke, for good, in April. The Times Literary Supplement was admirably adapted to this purpose, of a neverfailing toughness and impermeability. Even farts made no impression on it. I can't help it, gas escapes from my fundament on the least pretext, it's hard not to mention it now and then, however great my distaste. One day I counted them. Three hundred and fifteen farts in nineteen hours, or an average of over sixteen farts an hour. After all it's not excessive. Four farts every fifteen minutes. It's nothing. Not even one fart every four minutes. It's unbelievable. Damn it, I hardly fart at all, I should never have mentioned it. Extraordinary how mathematics help you to know yourself.

In addition to being the be-all, end-all on the fascism of the creative process (not to mention the most bleakly honest look at the post-Holocaust global psyche which I've ever read), the shit is fucking hilarious.

Sure do!

I still haven't forgiven you for not liking This is Happening :sad:

Their last ever show was a week or so ago, by the way, and it was awesome. Scumbo, wagyu peef, mobvok, joyful girl and I enjoyed posting simultaneously.

Yeah, Molloy is the first one in the trilogy. The passage on farts/mathematics remains one of my favorite moments in the history of literature:

In addition to being the be-all, end-all on the fascism of the creative process (not to mention the most bleakly honest look at the post-Holocaust global psyche which I've ever read), the shit is fucking hilarious.

I've read that passage before.....possibly from you posting it.

Yeah, I think I intended to read the trilogy and just stopped. I'm a horrible disappointment to everyone, myself included.

Sure do!

I still haven't forgiven you for not liking This is Happening :sad:

Their last ever show was a week or so ago, by the way, and it was awesome. Scumbo, wagyu peef, mobvok, joyful girl and I enjoyed posting simultaneously.

This is Happening remains weak, sadly. I wanted to like it, just like I wanted to like Zonoscope. I'll give it another go one day but after 5 listens Zonoscope was just getting worse and worse for me. I TRIED.

I liked Zonoscope after two listens and never felt the need to try again, but I'm also kind of a dilettante douchebag sometimes.

:lmao:

/fifthgrader

Or did they play nloth too, and I just don't know?

Songs that would give the tour a greater edge that they could easily replace IALW with:

Out Of Control
The Electric Co
Gloria
New Year's Day
In God's Country
Desire (electric, not the geezer, Eric Clapton Unplugged version)
The Fly
HMTMKMKM (instead of making Ultraviolet a rarity)
Discotheque
Last Night On Earth
Gone

Or the title track of their last album, fer chrissakes.

Other than that addition, yeah. Agreed.

The fact that Breathe, my favorite U2 song of the 00s will be left out when I see them in July in favor of some pop trifle Bono finished up after a bender should be a crime, but I think it's a bit insignificant. Maybe it's one of those obscure laws, like ducks not being allowed to wear long pants in Springfield.

That sounded fantastic.

However, the crowd didn't seem as enthusiastic as you might expect for a South American audience. That has me fearful that this will be as dropped as quickly as others have. Mind you, the lack of enthusiasm may have something to do with the visuals and the fact that the band was almost completely obscured (as per that particular video). Of course, maybe they were in the dark because they didn't want to see the fan reaction. :wink:

Anyway, this song and others shouldn't be dropped because of lack of fan reaction. There's 20 other songs that casual fans know and love. But with songs like these, if it causes even hundreds out of the 80,000 in attendance to pick up that particular album and delve more into their back catalogue, well, then you're turning casual fans into hardcore fans. That goes especially for POP songs, as well. And that's what they should be thinking about.
In my opinion.

God, that song is hot sex on a platter.

Great call, U2.

And, opening the set with Even Better Than The Real Thing -> Out of Control?

Hot. Hot choices.

I liked Zonoscope all right stand alone. But when I compare it to In Ghost Colours, it's a massive let-down.

Alright, so I really should be sleeping, but what am I doing? Listing to Zooropa (the album).

It's been a couple of years where I could say with confidence that U2 is no longer my (current) favourite band. They'll always be my favourite of all-time, but not my current favourite (hmmm, I wonder if anyone can guess my current favourite. :wink: )

Anyway, it's funny how a change here and there, the whole Twitter trending thing, and the videos, have fanned those fanboy flames, if only a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom