Random Music Talk XXVI: You can smell the whiskey burnin' down Cobbledicks Rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, GAF.

As I said in The Other Place, McCocknne$$ isn't someone who would make proclamations that had nothing behind it. The guy's a businessman and wouldn't want B.S. to affect his reputation. He didn't say "for sure", but he said "pretty sure", which is why we're in a bit of limbo right now. It ultimately isn't his call to pull the trigger on something, and they probably hadn't reached a final decision at the time of the quote.

Laz, you said yourself that, if these major retailers had reliable information about a May release, someone would have squealed. And that is strong logic.

We also have Edge saying recently that the band is only working on "demos." Wouldn't you believe him before you believe McGuinness?

Yeah, we all know and like to make fun of the fact that this band isn't always trustworthy, but to say that there were more signs pointing to the new Radiohead album than there have been for a new U2 album is a bit off-base.

We had Ed say that they were done with recording and that material would drop soon. That to me is a lot more reliable than a French website saying that "Songs of Ascent" is coming in May or Edge saying that they are working on demos.

They asked him and Adam about the Danger Mouse sessions. He said they were doing some demos. They asked if there'd be an album and they said "Maybe" and "We'll see." Everyone in EYKIW thinks they're being "coy" and shit. I think they gave up hope on an album a while ago.

How many false proclamations did we get for NLOTH? I recall a lot.

If I'm not mistaken, the "demos" quote comes from an article about Edge from right before the South Africa shows.

i keep wanting to write this album off, but i just can't get over the fact that two reputable online retailers have mentioned a late May release date. and in the Amazon case, it really seemed like an accident and taking down was a cover up.

Laz, you said yourself that, if these major retailers had reliable information about a May release, someone would have squealed. And that is strong logic.

We also have Edge saying recently that the band is only working on "demos." Wouldn't you believe him before you believe McGuinness?

What I was saying is that it wouldn't be just one or two companies that would know something. We'd be hearing something from the U.S. as well for sure.

And I would believe McCockne$$ first, esp. when Hedge is more reticent than Boner to overhype. Maybe the journalist misheard him and he didn't actually say "demos", because that doesn't really gel with what we've heard elsewhere. McCockne$$ wasn't talking about the nature of the work, but actually was talking about a potential time of release. That's very late-stage kind of talk if you ask me.

Again, if the band pulls the plug they pull the plug, and we might not know why for a while. But can anyone fathom that they spent all this time recording, and are going to come back to America with only Tourn Star, MercyRule, etc. to add to their stale set list?

I doubt it.

Laz AND Mikal are on the cautiously optimistic bandwagon?

The world has gone topsy-turvy.

In a glorious way.

And I would believe McCockne$$ first, esp. when Hedge is more reticent than Boner to overhype. Maybe the journalist misheard him and he didn't actually say "demos", because that doesn't really gel with what we've heard elsewhere.

I have no doubt that they have plenty of material, but I would not be surprised if they have been shelving or disavowing much of that material and either starting over or significantly revamping what they have. They've shelved sessions in the past, so it's entirely conceivable that they would do so again. Maybe that journalist just caught Edge at one of those "back to drawing board" moments.

Laz AND Mikal are on the cautiously optimistic bandwagon?

The world has gone topsy-turvy.

In a glorious way.

I'm optimistic about the release. As for the quality of what we wind up getting...who knows.

I have no doubt that they have plenty of material, but I would not be surprised if they have been shelving or disavowing much of that material and either starting over or significantly revamping what they have. They've shelved sessions in the past, so it's entirely conceivable that they would do so again.

Nobody shelves Danger Mouse.

NOBODY.

But I hope they shelve whatever ungodly creations they have with cock.i.am. Hell, they should stuff them and mount them.

I'm optimistic about the release. As for the quality of what we wind up getting...who knows.

Nobody shelves Danger Mouse.

NOBODY.

But I hope they shelve whatever ungodly creations they have with cock.i.am. Hell, they should stuff them and mount them.

What about the seesions with Rick Rubin? Those could be kind of interesting.

I just wish they'd stop playing it safe and release something more like their 90's stuff.

What about the seesions with Rick Rubin? Those could be kind of interesting.

I don't have much interest in Dick Lubin'. Shuttlecock is at their best when they have time (not too much time) to explore different sounds and possibilities, and that's the antithesis of what he wanted to do. We'd wind up getting something along the lines of ATYCLC (focus on the writing, not the recording process), and I have no interest in hearing that kind of watered-down stuff again.

"Define watered-down." :huh:

Well, :huh: can go

daffy.gif

as far as I'm concerned.

lazarus said:
Well, :huh: can go

You mean you don't see his logic?

1. Arbitrarily define a set of premises
2. Interpret evidence about a new album in line with those premises
3. Claim that you have logically proven what U2 will do

It's that simple!

Not necessarily nostalgia, I'd just like to hear them exploring sound and arrangements like they did back then. Change it up with different producers at least or something.

If "different producers" meant Nigel Godrich, the RZA, or Kanye, then ok. But I don't want to see rock and roll dudes like Rubin anywhere near their shit.

If "different producers" meant Nigel Godrich, the RZA, or Kanye, then ok. But I don't want to see rock and roll dudes like Rubin anywhere near their shit.

I'm not fussed who they use, I just think Eno and Lanois have run their course and it's time for something fresh.

It seems to me that it's not so much that eno and lanois have run their course, so much as the band aren't quite letting them have as much control as they used to. But I could be very wrong about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom