Random Music Talk XXVI: You can smell the whiskey burnin' down Cobbledicks Rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really understand that, to be honest.

It's songs written by Bono and Edge.

Do we not care about Bono and Edge writing songs anymore? Or is it that you don't care as much because they are songs (kind of) written about a fictional superhero?

Maybe the better question is this:

When the soundtrack to the musical eventually comes out, and it's got nice official studio recordings of 15 to 20 new songs written by Bono and Edge, will you guys listen to it?

Ugh. That one has that awful cover of Anarchy In The UK called Anarchy In The USA and it's sung in Spanish. And it's not that they took a classic punk song and pussified it, it's a truly awful, awful song. Boner and the rest of the Cock Crew lost some cred with me over that. I'd like to slap the person who dreamed that up.

It's better than Motley Crue's version.

Also, I think only Muffin and Claycourt play on that track. And Boner isn't responsible for the whole soundtrack, didn't Hal Wilner put the whole thing together? Blame him.

When the soundtrack to the musical eventually comes out, and it's got nice official studio recordings of 15 to 20 new songs written by Bono and Edge, will you guys listen to it?

If it's performed by those stupid kids?

No, I probably won't.

Shuttlecock is much more about the execution and performance than the writing, IMO.

I will. I'm a silly completist and will have to buy it.

And if there's anything on it I love, I'll think "Geez, I wish this were U2." :wink:

I actually like "Bird Falls From the Sky" quite a bit, but like Laz I'm completely uninterested in the play's cast performing it. Boner and Hedge wrote that Goldeneye theme, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to Tina Turner sing it. Don't really give a shit about the MacFister version either, to be fair.

What took you so damn long? How can you look at yourself in the mirror without having heard "At Least That's What You Said," Peeferino?

I have no idea. I've only listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and the self-titled. And then I kept listening to newly released albums by other bands.

Boner and Hedge wrote that Goldeneye theme, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to Tina Turner sing it. Don't really give a shit about the MacFister version either, to be fair.

I find the MacFister (nice one, BTW) version to be pretty funny. It's a goof, but as an oddity it's interesting and better than the Tina Turner recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_iTQ4135Xg

I'm listening to A Ghost Is Born, which I have had for two years and have never listened to.

> Yankoff Whoretel Cocktrot.

Captain Peefheart, you're really not doing yourself any favors if you don't listen to Summerteeth and Being There (still my personal favorite) post haste. And if you like them enough, do what I did and go buy a Volkswagen.

I wish I had the money for a car at all.

Speaking of which, this guy was complaining to me that he didn't have enough money to buy the car he wanted and he had to settle for an Audi. Then he revealed that this would be his second car, and that he had another car for being back home from school. I nearly strangled him.

Maybe. MDH's U2 songs are garbage as far as I can remember. As sometimes Boner writes crappy songs.

If it's performed by those stupid kids?

No, I probably won't.

Yes.

but like Laz I'm completely uninterested in the play's cast performing it. Boner and Hedge wrote that Goldeneye theme, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to Tina Turner sing it.

Yes.

I nearly strangled him.

I would have contributed a dollar or two to your bail money if you had. That's just ridiculous.

Speaking of which, this guy was complaining to me that he didn't have enough money to buy the car he wanted and he had to settle for an Audi. Then he revealed that this would be his second car, and that he had another car for being back home from school.

Did he then proceed to complain about how his diamond shoes were too tight?

MDH's U2 songs are garbage as far as I can remember.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless? Shit, those are two of my favorite songs the band has written since Pop, easily.

But, hey. It's all good. I'm gonna go get some greasy fast food.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless? Shit, those are two of my favorite songs the band has written since Pop, easily.

Yes. Ground Beneath Her Feet is among my top fifteen or twenty U2 songs.

In terms of the Spiderman soundtrack, were I to listen to it I think that I would probably lament the attention that might have been paid to an actual album had Bono and Edge not been preoccupied with the play.

Well, I'm just not buying that an album will come in May. I hope that I'm wrong though.

Even with Radiohead, the exemplar of secret releases, there were significant rumblings of an early 2011 release months before it occurred. For U2, we have absolutely no reliable information at the moment.

It's better than Motley Crue's version.

Also, I think only Muffin and Claycourt play on that track. And Boner isn't responsible for the whole soundtrack, didn't Hal Wilner put the whole thing together? Blame him.

:crack: Motley Crue? Oh, hell.

Alright, Hal Wilner then. Fuck that guy. Whoever he is.

Even with Radiohead, the exemplar of secret releases, there were significant rumblings of an early 2011 release months before it occurred. For U2, we have absolutely no reliable information at the moment.

I don't know about this.

These "significant rumblings," were they more significant than the band's manager stating that an album was coming, mysterious album listings on Amazon, Cee-Lo Green (!) saying that the project was being wrapped up, the band playing new songs in concert (which is something they never do), etc. etc.?

Yeah, we all know and like to make fun of the fact that this band isn't always trustworthy, but to say that there were more signs pointing to the new Radiohead album than there have been for a new U2 album is a bit off-base.

Everything you're referring to was months ago, though. I wouldn't call any of that reliable anymore.

Not comparing that to Radiohead, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom