Random Music Talk XXVI: You can smell the whiskey burnin' down Cobbledicks Rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, it's like none of the Spiderman suckers producers ever saw the disaster that was Million Dollar Hotel.

You saw it. Would you have given Bono any money to write/produce anything except an album of music?

And even then?

:laugh:

Do they also have collective amnesia about the whole Clockwork Orange musical?

And yet the album is still absolutely fantastic.

How about:

She's got the look (she's got the look)
What in the world can make a brown-eyed girl turn blue
When everything I'll ever do I'll do for you

roxette_zh_89_neu.jpg

Alex Descends Into Hell > 90% of 2000's Shuttlecock.

I'm with you there, but Spidey just seems to fail at every turn. However, I have yet to hear the music and that seems to be the only thing reviewers haven't slagged off. Yet.

Maybe this was their plan all along. Like Max Bialystock said, "You can earn more money with a flop than with a hit."

On a semi-related note, I wonder if there are any other Cockwork Orange recordings out there, even if they're just cast and production orchestra.

I'm with you there, but Spidey just seems to fail at every turn. However, I have yet to hear the music and that seems to be the only thing reviewers haven't slagged off. Yet.

Read more reviews; sadly I've seen plenty that have criticized the songs heavily, though I'm sure a lot of theatre critics are snobs when it comes to rock music.

And yeah, I've always been curious about the rest of that Clockwork project.

BTW, if anyone was curious about the tracklisting of my Shuttlecock "Ephemera" CD, here's the playlist:

Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
Lady With The Spinning Head (UVI)
Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
Salome
I'm Not Your Baby [Skysplitter Dub]
North and South of the River
Soon
No Line On the Horizon (alt version)
Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop)
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
Goldeneye (Demo 1)
Tomorrow (Boner & Adam only)
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad 3/7/11 5:12 PM
Slow Dancing
North and South of the River (live Omagh tribute)
Mercy

I'm not 'cockifying all that.

Anyway, I worked on the order for quite a while to get a good ebb and flow.

As I said, I tried to only use tracks that weren't collected elsewhere. So that means none of the stuff from the 1980-1990 Best of Bonus, the UF special ed. bonus disc, the JT special ed. bonus disc, Medium, Rare & Remastered etc. I don't have the CockWar bonus edition so that's why Treasure is here. I think the only exception here is N&SOTR studio version, which is on the Best of 1990-2000 bonus disc but that thing is a piece of shit.

I probably should have found room for HMTMKMKM because the main disc of 1990-2000 is an abomination as well, but I ran out of room.

Read more reviews; sadly I've seen plenty that have criticized the songs heavily, though I'm sure a lot of theatre critics are snobs when it comes to rock music.

And yeah, I've always been curious about the rest of that Clockwork project.
Seriously? That bites. And yeah, theatre critics are total snobs.

I think this is why Al Gore invented the internet. I think I'll do some poking around.

You'd think with all the modern rock opera stuff they'd be more open to some serious, respected musicians taking on writing duties, but I guess not. Paul Simon was eviscerated for The Capeman, so they're not alone.

Anyway, maybe I don't need to have Where Did It All Go Wrong on my compilation and should sub in HMTMKMKM for it. Song ain't that great. Though that little Boston-sounding breakdown in the middle is kind of funny.

Half the songs on that I don't even have. /lame

Googled A Cockwork Orange: 2004, A Play With Music and atu2 says that the band keeps their demos under lock and key and the play itself tanked so hard, they never made a cast recording. The play is now performed without music, except for an instrumental score. :shrug: Though if it's truly that awful, it just makes me more curious about hearing the tracks.

Alex Descends is excellent.

I'm not sure why they bothered with a Spiderman musical when the Batman musical couldn't even get off the ground (thank God. I love you Meat Loaf, but...no)

Isn't it wonderful?

U2 is pretty great with the instrumentals, honestly. I wish there were a few more out there.

How about:

What in the world can make a brown-eyed girl turn blue
When everything I'll ever do I'll do for you

Ugh, thank you for getting that stuck in my head. And not that part either, but the super annoying nanana part.

Don't forget Million Dollar Whoretel. That wasn't gunning for the charts at all.

Ugh. That one has that awful cover of Anarchy In The UK called Anarchy In The USA and it's sung in Spanish. And it's not that they took a classic punk song and pussified it, it's a truly awful, awful song. Boner and the rest of the Cock Crew lost some cred with me over that. I'd like to slap the person who dreamed that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom