Random Music Talk XXV: Friggin Cobbler is too Friggin Slow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Bejar is 38, Dalton. The entire point of the album was to "honor" the music he grew up on, as he's done with many of his past albums as well.

Is Pitbull the most offensively bad artist of the past five or so years?
Our student group that organizes concerts had Pitbull here as the first live act my freshman year.

Hence why I'm concerned about how they're going to spend $250,000 on our music festival.

What's My Name I think is the first Rihanna song I've truly liked, and not just for the film clip.

PhilsFan said:
Our student group that organizes concerts had Pitbull here as the first live act my freshman year.

Hence why I'm concerned about how they're going to spend $250,000 on our music festival.

Why aren't you organising music?

What's My Name I think is the first Rihanna song I've truly liked, and not just for the film clip.

:up:

Drake has one of the most average flows I've ever heard, and when the best he can bring to the table is that convoluted line that attempts to bridge the massive gap between sex and mathematics, the song is better off without him.

Fucking love those airy drums though.

LemonMelon said:
:up:

Drake has one of the most average flows I've ever heard, and when the best he can bring to the table is that convoluted line that attempts to bridge the massive gap between sex and mathematics, the song is better off without him.

Fucking love those airy drums though.

Yeah I'd say it's the production and the chorus that I really like. Drake sounds pretty ordinary.

I was about to vote on an album poll in EYKIW, then realized I've never listened to Boy or October all the way through, nor listened to War all the way through in about 5 or 6 years.

Oops.

Obviously, I own the 1980s compilation, and I've occasionally listened to a few songs on YouTube (complete list: Seconds, Drowning Man, Tomorrow, Surrender) over the years, but, uh....

Let's see what a YT power session turns up.

october i can see, but boy? come on, dude. even no line-less me has put that on once or twice in the last 3 years.

Dan Bejar is 38, Dalton. The entire point of the album was to "honor" the music he grew up on, as he's done with many of his past albums as well.

I know all about Bejar's age and his intent. Neither alter my theory at all. If I go to a friends house for dinner and they say they'd prepared us a "nostalgic" meal but come out with a bowl of SpaghettiOs, I'm going to let them know their idea is shit (even if they flawlessly heated said SpaghettiOs up in an off-colored, slightly warped, plastic microwavable bowl).

don't harsh my buzz MAN I just never got around to it. For 6 years.

So, now I can say I've listened to Boy all the way through. Realized I've listened to more Boy songs than I'd thought, and that the post-punk vibe tunes me out a little.

But! Turns out I bought Seconds a while back, so after listening to War again I bought Drowning Man and "40" as well.

40 is actually the surprise so far. That's a pretty cool feeling.

My mind's drawing a connection between U2 and Modest Mouse here: it's not until TUF and The Moon & Antarctica where they go from punky to arty that I really get into them. But I think going through that synthesis was pretty important for both of them so they're capable of showing different faces like from Wire to TUF or Life Like Weeds --> What People Are Made Of.

ah man the kiwis and aussies are out I better go to bed

War has always felt very cohesive to me. I think that the "New Year's Day" video encapsulates the album quite well: wintry, sparse, and intense.

I know all about Bejar's age and his intent. Neither alter my theory at all. If I go to a friends house for dinner and they say they'd prepared us a "nostalgic" meal but come out with a bowl of SpaghettiOs, I'm going to let them know their idea is shit (even if they flawlessly heated said SpaghettiOs up in an off-colored, slightly warped, plastic microwavable bowl).

Not everything is for everyone, which is fine. I just don't understand your argument, as it could be applied to essentially everyone in Bang and Clatter's favorite artists. I don't know how you could happily listen to 99% of music if you dislike anything that recalls a past sound or era.

Not everything is for everyone, which is fine. I just don't understand your argument, as it could be applied to essentially everyone in Bang and Clatter's favorite artists. I don't know how you could happily listen to 99% of music if you dislike anything that recalls a past sound or era.

Well if you limited yourself to only commenting on my ideas that you understand, we'd never communicate. My ways are not your ways.

Cobblerto, have you heard the new Architecture song? It's quite dancey.

Cobblerto, have you heard the new Architecture song? It's quite dancey.

yeah, i just listened to it then. i really like it, though i hope the record still has flashes of the quirkiness (sp?) that made In Case We Die and Places Like This such fun, and isn't just another dance/indie/electro/pop record.

Cobblerino, have you listened to this Aussie band called The Holidays? A friend recommended them and I listened to their debut that was released last month. They're pretty good.

I have never listened to them, but perusing youtube I have found a couple of catchy songs... consider their debut on the list.

yeah, i just listened to it then. i really like it, though i hope the record still has flashes of the quirkiness (sp?) that made In Case We Die and Places Like This such fun, and isn't just another dance/indie/electro/pop record.

Agreed. :up:

I'm sure it'll have some enjoyable songs regardless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom