Random Music Talk XXIX: You snooze, you lose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gothabilly sounds like some Rule 34 slashpr0n starring Robert Smith and Elvis Costello. Just sayin'.

Gothabilly / psychobilly has been around for decades, hasn't it? This is new to some of you?

I've known of psychobilly and greatly enjoy it, but had never heard of gothabilly.

I always thought the two genres were more or less interchangeable considering how many "goth" bands there are who play psychobilly. Maybe I'm wrong.

Psychobilly/Cowpunk is a wonderful genre. Gothabilly takes that shit to another level unbeknownst to me though.

Steely Dan two-night stand at the Greek Theatre in July.

First night is Aja in its entirety + extras
Second night is all-fan internet requests (only ticketholders get to vote)

SWEET.

...and I didn't create a Steely Dan thread.

Your point?

And funnily enough, Steely Dan has actually put out new music more recently than Gabriel.

lazarus said:
And I would have checked that thread if the guy was actually making new original music.

I was just pointing out that the tour info is on the forum somewhere, since I'm on my phone.

And this isn't a regular tour. He's continuing the full orchestra tour, the one he's using for that new album of unoriginal material he put out?

...and I didn't create a Steely Dan thread.

Your point?

And funnily enough, Steely Dan has actually put out new music more recently than Gabriel.

My point was that getting all excited for a Steely Dan show that's focusing on a 30+-year-old album, then getting smart-ass about another nostalgia act is funny to me.

I'm glad you're excited about seeing Steely Dan. Truly. But getting pissy about Peter Gabriel's lack of new music just three posts later is a little funny side.

Steely Dan took a 20 year absence, so 2 albums in 10 years plus a great Fagen solo album just a few years ago isn't exactly a dearth of new material. And they do play some of this recent stuff.

Gabriel took 9 years to release Up, and it's been another 9 since that one. Unlike the Dan, which is (at least) two men, Gabriel only has himself to blame.

I didn't say Gabriel was a nostalgia act, either. I was just poking fun at his lack of prolificness.

Having never seen him before, I'm actually very interested in going to a show, though maybe not this one.

I've heard three excellent albums in the last two days:

PJ Harvey: White Chalk
Tim Hecker: Ravedeath, 1972
TV on the Radio: Desperate Youth, Blood-Thirsty Babes

The PJ one was especially moving. It showcased a side of her that I had not heard before.

I'm quite taken with the new Antlers album, myself, as I've mentioned in its thread. I also heard A Love Supreme today, which I enjoyed, but did not love.

i don't even like new order, but i still think
[blue monday cover]
counts as a music crime.
haha, yes. i can't believe i liked it when it came out. i think i still have candyass somewhere, but i haven't listened to it since like...2000. i remember though when a friend got me into new order and i'd tease that i liked that cover better solely to wind them up. i want to go back in time and kick my own ass for even joking about it.

:sigh: fuck I wish I lived in LA sometimes. I'd kill to see Aja in full.
i know! so jealous. i have seen steely dan live though so i can't complain too much.

ETA: Wait, which format do I want to download this in? MP3 320, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, ALAC? I'm kind of lost...
not sure if you've decided or not, but it just depends on how much of an audiophile you are. me, i'd go with mp3 because i just don't hear the difference. if you are though i'd go with flac, only because i've never used ogg so i don't know what you can do with those files and i've never heard of alac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom