Random Music Talk XXIV: Where there's CLICK!ing and NASH!ing of teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite beers:

rogue-hazelnut-brown-nectar-21352762.jpg

4162464773_8dc3741c53.jpg

128647775_4425d9a6cb.jpg

winter52.jpg

I don't really have any favorite alcohol. I still drink cheap shit. I'll get back to you when I'm 21 and start exploring.

I did like gin and tonic the one time I had it.

I prefer cider over beer when it's available, but like beer now a lot more than I did some years ago.

My current favorite drink - Maker's Mark & ginger ale. Yum. Will also do a straight up Jameson's if I feel particularly whiskeyish.

Ok, 'Cockforce. I was at a show on Friday night, and one of the songs played before the band came on had the words "beautiful eyes" and "don't cry" cry in the refrain, but when I google tha damn thing, all I get is some Russian disco guy (which isn't the right song, I checked) and Taylor Swift, and that's not the one either because it was a guy singing. It was at a fairly hipster club, so that may guide your thinking.

Have at it. Please.

Ok, 'Cockforce. I was at a show on Friday night, and one of the songs played before the band came on had the words "beautiful eyes" and "don't cry" cry in the refrain, but when I google tha damn thing, all I get is some Russian disco guy (which isn't the right song, I checked) and Taylor Swift, and that's not the one either because it was a guy singing. It was at a fairly hipster club, so that may guide your thinking.

Have at it. Please.
I'll think about it but nothing comes to mind with just those four words.

One night I want to put my Aja vinyl on, when no one's home, with the lights off, in the lounge room, and drink scotch. I think it would work swimmingly.

My first taste of whiskey was at the Jameson's distillery in Dublin. I coughed a lot, put more water in, coughed some more, then finally gave up. I don't think I'm a whiskey drinker.

I'm practicing for Ireland. :wink: I'm new to it, though.

I tried scotch. I love the way it feels going down (it's so warm, smooth and cozy-making!), but it tastes like perfume to me.

Of course you may. It's New Glarus Spotted Cow. I'm a big fan of light ales with a hint of citrus, so it always hits the spot. Their Wisconsin Belgian Red is another favorite because it's brewed with Door County cherries, making it a very fruity ale.

Ah yes, Spotted Cow. I'm a Capital Brewery guy myself, but my girlfriend loves Fat Squirrel. You are not at UW, are you?

And Laz, that is a great call on the Cherry Wheat. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Yeah, this fall for sure. I'm waiting a few more months to see if the U2-in-Dublin rumors are true, because I'd hate to book my trip only to learn they're going to be there a week after I leave or something.

If there's no announcement by May or so, I'll start booking stuff. I'm aiming for September.

Can't wait!

Ah yes, Spotted Cow. I'm a Capital Brewery guy myself, but my girlfriend loves Fat Squirrel. You are not at UW, are you?

And Laz, that is a great call on the Cherry Wheat. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Hm, I haven't had anything by Capital Brewery, but will have to search something out next time I'm home. Anything in particular of theirs you suggest? Oh no, UW didn't want me four years ago and probably wouldn't want me now. I'm happily at Minnesota-Twin Cities, but grew up in La Crosse, where all we have are bars and breweries.

Wiscooooooooooonsin represent! :rockon:

Edit: Is that rockon guy head-banging, like, three times as fast as usual, or am I having a stroke?

Have at it. Please.

Couple of things I've found:

Dreamwalk - What If Lyrics

Sorrow Of Adonai Lyrics by Lower Definition

SongMeanings | Lyrics | Geri X. - We're Free

I envy you immensely with the Ireland trip, Cori. I hope you know that :p.

Regarding the drinking discussion, I've never had beer. I've tried rum, though, and didn't care for it at all. I usually just stick to wines.

Has there ever been a sociological study done about the difference between people who prefer lyric to instrumentation, when it comes to pop music?

Because I'm a lyric man, first and foremost. Don't get me wrong, I dig on instrumentation. I dig on it big time. But if I had to choose, I like to hear what people have to say, out of their mouths. Cuts to the fucking heart.

Same here. I love learning/reading the lyrics to songs, I love seeing the stories that can be told in them, the way the lines are phrased, all that sort of thing.

Plus, I like being able to sing along with songs, and in order to do that, helps to know the words.

interesting=annoying, right?

i hate our local oldies staton. they do pretty much 1965-1979, which cuts out all the old rock n roll i love. buddy holly, gene vincent, carl perkins, old school elvis...going into early beatles, plus they have this general aversion to motown which i will NEVER understand, especially when they play fucking disco. wtf. it's a general consensus that while there is decent funk out there, straight up disco did in fact die, and should stay well the hell buried in its grave.

Heh, yeah, I think annoying would fit. The song doesn't bother me as much as it does you, but it's not one I'd listen to regularly, no.

Man, you'd LOVE our oldies station, then. Lots of Motown (how can an oldies station NOT play Motown? I don't understand this), and right now in particular tons of Buddy Holly/Ritchie Valens/Big Bopper type stuff (as well as other songs from the time period those three were big), 'cause of the upcoming anniversary of the plane crash (especially noteworthy to our area since it happened here). And the Surf Ballroom, in the town next door to us, is having a Winter Dance Party next weekend-they do those every year at this time, and they'll play all that sort of stuff you like.

The oldies station does also play a lot of late '60s stuff, and stuff from the 1970s (every Sunday evening they play an old Casey Kasem Top 40 show from the '70s), and the early '80s as well, which is freakin' WEIRD, to say the least, but they're good with the '50s/early '60s stuff, too. Hell, they even do a big band hour in the morning on the weekends.

(Mention of the Beatles and "Eleanor Rigby"-I just want to say that's my favorite Beatles song. "Penny Lane" is up there, too, though)

So, apparently there's this version of Winnie the Pooh where a little girl hangs out with them in the Hundred Acre Wood. My dad has a 3 year old son, so they watch this show together, and my dad, very curious as to what had happened to Christopher Robin(s as my dad calls him) started paying closer attention to the show. Then in the second or third episode the animals in the 100 acre wood wanted to go dig holes. The girl freaked out and was like all, "no, no, let's not do that." My dad is now convinced that this little girl murdered Christopher Robins and buried his body in the 100 Acre Wood.

I told you that story to tell you this one:

This song showed up on a list of potential father/daughter dance songs:
YouTube - Return to Pooh Corner

This song is one of the most unfortunate things I think I've ever heard. Bonus at the end when Kenny Loggins' son's stuffed bear talks to Kenny. It's kind of creepy as fuck.

Haha, oh, wow! I can see where your dad might think that, that is a bit strange, yeah...

I remember a lite rock station used to play that song a lot. It always made me cry.

Speaking of creepy songs, was listening to that aforementioned oldies station today and there was some song on about girls going from bobby socks to stockings and trading in baby toys for boys, and it was a guy singing it (think it might've been Frankie Avalon, sounded like one of his songs), and I dunno, the fact a guy was singing about that stuff kinda skeeved me out a little.

Angela

Of course you may. It's New Glarus Spotted Cow. I'm a big fan of light ales with a hint of citrus, so it always hits the spot. Their Wisconsin Belgian Red is another favorite because it's brewed with Door County cherries, making it a very fruity ale.

Agreed. I imagine it's often a matter of money, but the old motto, "you get what you pay for," still stands true with beer.

I had New Glarus' Squirrel one, can't think of the name, while I was in the Milwaukee airport. Loved it. There's a few New Glarus beers at Kroger here, along with a lot of other beers I'd like to try.

Also, my favorite commercial beer is Heineken (fuck that shit).

Haha, oh, wow! I can see where your dad might think that, that is a bit strange, yeah...

I remember a lite rock station used to play that song a lot. It always made me cry.

Speaking of creepy songs, was listening to that aforementioned oldies station today and there was some song on about girls going from bobby socks to stockings and trading in baby toys for boys, and it was a guy singing it (think it might've been Frankie Avalon, sounded like one of his songs), and I dunno, the fact a guy was singing about that stuff kinda skeeved me out a little.

Angela

It's become quite a running joke around these parts, pretty much any time Winnie the Pooh gets mentioned (which is a surprising lot, for whatever reason).

It was a sweet song, but Kenny Loggins always makes me laugh for a multitude of reasons, this being one of them: Hyperbole and a Half: The Year Kenny Loggins Ruined Christmas and the other being that his son is a dick. I saw him a few years ago on an MTV American Idol type of show where the offspring of musicians competed for a record contract, and it was pretty obvious that Crosby Loggins HATES his father. So the idea that Crosby's stuffed teddy bear was talking to Kenny is infinitely hilarious to me.

I saw a few episodes of that show. All I remember about it is that Olivia Newton-John's daughter just made me sad.

Hm, I haven't had anything by Capital Brewery, but will have to search something out next time I'm home. Anything in particular of theirs you suggest? Oh no, UW didn't want me four years ago and probably wouldn't want me now. I'm happily at Minnesota-Twin Cities, but grew up in La Crosse, where all we have are bars and breweries.

I should have remembered that you were at Minnesota. As for Capital, the Amber and Island Wheat are both excellent, as is the seasonal Maibock.

Man, Little Dragon were some kind of something tonight. New album this year, kiddies. Yukimi has solidified her place in the Imperor Musical Hotties HOF.

I did like gin and tonic the one time I had it.

Nectar of the gods. Good man.

BTW, I had two really odd dreams in the last couple of days. One I only remember a bit about, but IWB was trying to find the body of someone I apparently murdered and buried in the desert :up:.

And then last night I had some strange dream where some guy attempted to take Bono hostage at a concert in order to get some corporation to give him this necklace he wanted to give his sister for a gift. but by the time it was all said and done, it wasn't Bono or a concert anymore, it was a baseball game and the star player on the team, who for whatever reason was NSW.

So there you go. I need to lay off the ference before bed or something.

My dream last night consisted of me losing my cell phone in an empty church and looking for it for a long time. I eventually found it.

Back
Top Bottom