Random Music Talk XXIII: Give Me Butt Meat or Give Me Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. I think you have a point with the critics and the general population. I think here on Interference, the vitriol will be substantial if that happens; however, there are some who are still smarting from Pop, and yet they're still here.

I have to say that even a slight move to something different with a Danger Mouse album will make me very happy, but if it's only that the songs sound good, I'll be happy as well. I still really like U2.

I'm not expecting a radical departure. I just want the songs to be stuff I like. But I think it's a good thing they're working with someone new.

It's still going to be a U2 record. I still don't get how people anyone can judge what the music is going to be or sound like based on who the assigned producer is. I mean, I get it to some extent, but I don't know why some people think it's some new direction or a radical departure just because Danger Mouse is producing.

I don't care if he's a genius or not, but I like the stuff he's worked on (Gnarls Barkley, Broken Bells, Black Keys).

Oh, I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying there are already examples of him working on let downs, which I consider Broken Bells to be. He's a very good producer.

I'm not the most stable person myself, I drink too much, and smoke, and don't have good eating or sleep habits. Sometimes I feel like I'm not the greatest friend.

But, fuck, I am completely and utterly shattered by what happened in Tucson, Arizona yesterday. I kind of want to just order myself a bit fat deep dish pizza and listen to a bunch of U2 songs. I don't know.

Please keep me away from FYM, everybody. I wish I had never even opened that thread. Leave it out. Love.

I'm not the most stable person myself, I drink too much, and smoke, and don't have good eating or sleep habits. Sometimes I feel like I'm not the greatest friend.

But, fuck, I am completely and utterly shattered by what happened in Tucson, Arizona yesterday. I kind of want to just order myself a bit fat deep dish pizza and listen to a bunch of U2 songs. I don't know.

Please keep me away from FYM, everybody. I wish I had never even opened that thread. Leave it out. Love.
Ignore that shit, man, it'll make your life easier. FYM is a cesspool and I regret returning.

Speaking of U2, I'm rather concerned about this whole Danger Mouse project, especially considering how many people seem to be expecting a radical change in direction to emerge from it. I do not doubt that U2 can make a solid album at this stage, but I also do not at all believe that they are going to release anything that resembles musical innovation.

If this project sees the light of day - which is still to me a sizable "if" - I fear that the backlash is going to be substantial.

I see. I think you have a point with the critics and the general population. I think here on Interference, the vitriol will be substantial if that happens; however, there are some who are still smarting from Pop, and yet they're still here.

I'm wondering whether assholes like Pitchfork are going to give it a good rating as a backhanded compliment, as in "Shuttlecock needed the genius of DM to make a great album again", or just leave it at "not even DM can save these guys at this point".

It's still going to be a U2 record. I still don't get how people anyone can judge what the music is going to be or sound like based on who the assigned producer is. I mean, I get it to some extent, but I don't know why some people think it's some new direction or a radical departure just because Danger Mouse is producing.

Well, let's look at HTMAAS, which has probably the least-interesting production since War, and--big surprise!!--it was mostly produced by the same guy who did that album. Chris Thomas didn't add much either. In fact, one could argue that the highlights from a sonic perspective are the Beano/Patois and Cocknife Lee tracks.

But, fuck, I am completely and utterly shattered by what happened in Tucson, Arizona yesterday.

I'm not going anywhere near that place, but I'll say this: As disgusted as I am with these events, and with the whole Palin/Tea Party baiting tactics that inspired this kind of action, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for a woman who was pro-gun rights getting shot. If you condone and encourage that kind of culture, becoming a victim of it has a certain amount of poetic justice. It's just a shame it had to happen to someone who was at least moderate or liberal on other issues. But of course, the true bad guys are never the ones who wind up getting assassinated. Look at Reagan.

cobl04 said:
:up: on both points.

i don't get this constant criticism of Thom "not singing" since OKC, either. i'm no musical expert, but Kid A, Amnesiac, HTTT and In Rainbows aren't instrumental albums,

happy birthday by the way. are you 21 now? i still can't get over the fact that you can drive at 16 in America, smoke at 18 but can't legally go and buy a drink til you're 21.

I say that Yorke hasn't sung since then because all he does is fucking whine now.

I said this in the new album thread, but I fully believe that U2 still have it in them to make a radical change in sound, but I don't expect the DM project to be it, I'm sure it'll have a different feel and be somewhat of a change, but given the fact that it was developed quickly while they were on tour, it doesn't seem like a likely atmosphere for a radical change, even if the production will feel drastically different. That doesn't mean I don't believe it can be a strong U2 album, I think the fact that they aren't given a lot of time will also help them instead of being so doubtful and going back to tinker... but then the release is not set in stone so time will tell.

I said this in the new album thread, but I fully believe that U2 still have it in them to make a radical change in sound, but I don't expect the DM project to be it, I'm sure it'll have a different feel and be somewhat of a change, but given the fact that it was developed quickly while they were on tour, it doesn't seem like a likely atmosphere for a radical change, even if the production will feel drastically different. That doesn't mean I don't believe it can be a strong U2 album, I think the fact that they aren't given a lot of time will also help them instead of being so doubtful and going back to tinker... but then the release is not set in stone so time will tell.

Well, if not now, when? If a collaboration with a hip and creative producer isn't going to be the impetus for this change, where do you see it coming from? You say that the album being developed quickly while on tour isn't a good atmosphere for radical change, but that's exactly the climate that gave us Cockropa, which is still their most adventurous work to date (outside of Cockengers). Now that album was a progression of the exploration begun on Achtung Birdie more than a left turn, but it still took them into uncharted waters.

The other possibility, a long drawn-out production with the proven team of Beano/Patois, is something we just witnessed, and the band still caved in to their worst tendencies after leaving Morocco. Why is there any reason to think that formula's going to yield better results next time?

They've essentially put themselves in a no-win situation with Danger Mouse. I do not think that he is in a position to alter their sound or direction radically, so when the album is not a departure, the band will shoulder the blame. Even though I at least have not seen any comment from the band that they are pursuing a radically different path with Danger Mouse, they must have known that those expectations would follow.

Personally, I love or like all of the 2000s work, so I'll likely be happy with anything that they release. The tandem of critical and commercial approval that they seem so desperately to want, however, is beyond their reach at this point.

Ignore that shit, man, it'll make your life easier. FYM is a cesspool and I regret returning.

Most of it has become a finger wagging forum.
1. Post link to article about bullying/violence/unsavory behavior
2. Blame the parents
3. Exchange posts about how great your parenting skills are
4. Long for the good old days
5. Profit

They've essentially put themselves in a no-win situation with Danger Mouse. I do not think that he is in a position to alter their sound or direction radically, so when the album is not a departure, the band will shoulder the blame. Even though I at least have not seen any comment from the band that they are pursuing a radically different path with Danger Mouse, they must have known that those expectations would follow.

This is just too pessimistic for me. How radical do you expect or want it to be? I've said it a million times, but the band has already covered almost every genre of music at this point. I don't want something totally new, but just something other than generic, no-frills mid-tempo rock.

It doesn't have to be totally inventive to be a departure, it just needs to change tracks from what they've been doing this last decade. No Net showed the band shifting gears a few times, but it was too compromised.

The key quote to me, if the King of Lies is to be believed, is the one about how easily this stuff was recorded. And to me that's a very positive sign. The less second-guessing, the better.

Like I said in the second half of my post, I'll probably like whatever they do. I personally have no problem with them continuing to churn out Beautiful Days and Magnificents at this point of their career. As far as I am concerned, they have earned that right.

By associating with Danger Mouse, however, they have saddled themselves with the expectation of innovation or at least definitive change. If that doesn't happen, no one is going to point the finger at Danger Mouse. The band will be blamed for ostensibly squandering his talents. That is not fair, but it will be the critical reaction.

Ok, I can get behind that assumption. But I don't think it's going to come into play because I don't think it's going to be by-the-numbers. And I'll stand by that unless I see a tracklisting that includes Tourn Star and Glastonbirdie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom