Random Music Talk XXIII: Give Me Butt Meat or Give Me Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that I don't like Kid A, I just prefer every other Radiohead album except Pablo Honey. And they're as rigid about playing so much off it on a nightly basis as Shuttlecock is with ATYCLC.

I like it as well, I meant that you and I agreed on it's overrated status. To me though, it's the beginning of their decline, it might have been the beginning if their rise to fame, but they were a true original voice with The Bends and OK Computer, from there in while there are songs I like, they dont rock like they used to, and Yorke hasn't actually sung since then either. I know RH is the second coming of music for many, not me.

I never expected Kid A to sound more unique as I got exposed to more music, but I still feel that the record is a fascinating hybrid of ambient, electronic and, well, Radiohead. Whether or not it's truly innovative is up to debate, but I'm still captivated by it.

Hail to the Thief and Lance's Mom blow to an equal degree. Just wanted to throw that out there.

idioteque annoyed me on the album, didn't annoy me so much on the live EP (but probably because it was the only thing on that ep that didn't annoy me).

but then again, i am laz's polar opposite when it comes to picking favorite radiohead. i will get around to listening to in rainbows one of these days, and perhaps that will change.

true. nevar forget it!11!!11!!!

:lmao:

although i am sad i've already forgotten what i said that sparked that particular comment. i guess i should try to care more what people say on teh internetz about me, i might remember these things. oh wait. no.

Someone said that a song was by the lead singer of Snow Patrol and you said something akin to "I'm going to hate it without even hearing it now that I know that."

I find your opinions fascinating, personally, though that could be because I find hate awesome.

I've gone one-for-one with ska acts so far (Less Than Jake being a part of last year's Movin' On festival) so there's slightly better odds.

In Rainbows is still my favorite album of the 2000s and my favorite Radiohead album.

:up: on both points.

i don't get this constant criticism of Thom "not singing" since OKC, either. i'm no musical expert, but Kid A, Amnesiac, HTTT and In Rainbows aren't instrumental albums,

happy birthday by the way. are you 21 now? i still can't get over the fact that you can drive at 16 in America, smoke at 18 but can't legally go and buy a drink til you're 21.

HTTT has better songwriting than Kid A, I don't give a fuck if it's a step back or scattershot or incoherent or whatever.

:shrug:

I think that, had HttT been trimmed by about three songs, it might have been Radiohead's strongest album. I never understood the claims that it lacks coherence; to me, the general mood of the album is not only sustained but quite powerful.

Yeah, Hail to the Thief's biggest problem is the fact that there are a couple really weak tracks that are completely unnecessary. We Suck Young Blood and I Will are awful songs.

:up: on both points.

i don't get this constant criticism of Thom "not singing" since OKC, either. i'm no musical expert, but Kid A, Amnesiac, HTTT and In Rainbows aren't instrumental albums...

Definitely. "Nude" and "Reckoner" at least are stunning vocal performances. And I think it also should be said that using the voice primarily as an atmospheric effect, as in "Spinning Plates," "Kid A," or any number of others, takes a great degree of talent.

and it still got a 9.3 from p4k.

I think that, had HttT been trimmed by about three songs, it might have been Radiohead's strongest album. I never understood the claims that it lacks coherence; to me, the general mood of the album is not only sustained but quite powerful.

i definitely agree with this. the songs i'd ditch are Go to Sleep, The Gloaming and I Will.

i don't hate We Suck Young Blood. i vehemently hated it at first, but now i think with the handclaps and off-kilter piano it creates a really cool, really creepy sort of vibe that sucks me in now and again.

Go to Sleep is an average three-and-a-bit minute rocker and Radiohead are much better than that.

i also really like Scatterbrain.

Yeah, Hail to the Thief's biggest problem is the fact that there are a couple really weak tracks that are completely unnecessary. We Suck Young Blood and I Will are awful songs.

Agreed. B-sides to be sure. I Will was better when it was backwards on Amnesiac.

i definitely agree with this. the songs i'd ditch are Go to Sleep, The Gloaming and I Will.

I've warmed up to The Gloaming over time, but it still could have been left off the album.

I don't have a problem with Go To Sleep per se, but that guitar solo sounds totally recycled from Paranoid Android (or some other old track). Which is lame for someone as inventive as Jonny Greenwood.

Ultimately, the ten best songs off that album would destroy Kid A.

Hail isn't so much incoherent (it is, especially with that odd Will Will Suck/There There/I Will/Punchup/Myxomatosis run, but that's hardly its biggest issue) as it is uninspired. Most of the songs feel less magical/substantial than the weaker moments of OK Computer and Kid A.

But I've already made this post like 7 or 8 times, so I'll stop there.

we certainly could. im out out of here, so i'll just leave you all with the comment that Spinning Plates (album version) is still among the worst songs i've ever heard yet with the simple addition of piano live it becomes beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom