Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thefraycoverlandialq4.png

mambi10.gif

New thread :hyper:.

You know what makes opening acts shitty by default, when they aren't billed and you show up later on purpose to avoid the lame opener that was billed, only to find out there's more than 1!!! So annoying.

it's that sick mashup he does with EIIRP that i love. Encore also kills live.

seriously, i could have got used to going to see Jay-Z/U2 once a week for months on end. that fucking good.

it's that sick mashup he does with EIIRP that i love. Encore also kills live.

seriously, i could have got used to going to see Jay-Z/U2 once a week for months on end. that fucking good.

there wasn't a dud in his entire set.

i like your idea, as long as jay-z plays a full set (and a bit of looking around the internet has found a few 38 song sets he's played). although can't be picky.

the number of people on this site (i nearly typed shite, and possibly with good reason) who were so opposed to jay-z who ended up enjoying, or at least not hating his set speaks volumes to the quality of that show. even my mum (since according to where the album has no name, mothers are an acceptable source to reference on a forum) had no interest in seeing jay-z but really enjoyed his set.

side note, god damn i wish my fingers would stop cracking every time i do anything.

Ugh, after finishing two final papers in the past several hours (to which Four Tet was once again the soundtrack), I can finally respond to shit that went down last thread:

Ha, I spent some time at the University of Wisconsin and learned quite quickly that it certainly earns its designation as the beer-consumption capital of US universities. At my orientation, we were required to hear a talk about the dangers of alcoholism for grad students. Then, at the welcome picnic, the department provided three kegs. It was quite the mixed message.

And I agree about Four Tet. "Angel Echoes" is one of the finest electronica tracks that I have heard.

Yep, that's Wisconsin for you. Apparently, La Crosse has one of the highest number of bars within a one mile radius in the world. We also have the largest six-pack in the world. Alcohol FTW!

19734126_64d9dd2ab1.jpg

YouTube - Four Tet- This Unfolds

This probably sounds fuckmazing whilst high. And is likely why Cassie considers it a favorite.

:grumpy:

Everything sounds fuckmazing whilst high, Travis. Get it straight. :wink:

Friggin' hippies.

:tsk:

So... the Blakroc album is pretty rad. This guy NOE sounds just like Jay-Z.

Charles Mingus is officially my favorite jazz artist. Holy shit, Blues & Roots is passionate. You can hear the sweat pouring out of the speakers, and it never lets up. That doesn't even take into account the structurally dazzling Black Saint and Mingus Ah Um. Sorry Miles, you rule and all, but damn.

Mingus was such a giant douche, for some reason it's always been hard to put that out of my mind when listening to him.

Coltrane all the way.

Coincidentally, I was listening to one of my Thelonius Monk boxed sets in the car today.

Not the Blue Note one. Columbia Years maybe?

I really need to see that documentary about him, "Straight, No Chaser".

The fact that Coltrane isn't worthy of his own church sort of sours me to him every time I listen. :( My Favorite Things comes the closest to doing the hype justice.

I've opted not to listen to it until next year since I'm going to go ahead and be divisive and count it as a 2011 release.
aww boo! oh well, a couple of extra weeks is no big deal. :) i'm just stupidly excited about this album of theirs and want as many people to hear it as possible.

I can't wait to hear it. I'll break my "not buying albums on iTunes" rule and get it next Tuesday, as I don't want to wait until February to buy the physical CD and hear it then.
awesome! you won't be disappointed.

ian listened to it too and even he quite enjoyed it.

i had tickets to see the street dogs last night, and was on my way out the door when i decided i just really didn't want to go. i'll go to at least one of the ones this weekend. i took off the nights from work for it, and i'd hate to blow 70 bucks and not have gone to any of the shows. i like both the opening bands playing with them, too.

I can't stand being at work this time of year. Nothing is going on, it feels entirely pointless to even be in the office for more than 3 or 4 hours.

Woe is Scumbo. :sad:

Watch Afro Samurai to pass the time. That's what I do while at work. :wink:

Any music recommendations from this year that I absolutely must listen to before the end of the month, folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom