Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it had a lot to do with the fact I bought up Outkast. Half the people in EYKIW don't even know hip hop exists, let alone contemplate that it's good.

I think it had a lot to do with the fact I bought up Outkast. Half the people in EYKIW don't even know hip hop exists, let alone contemplate that it's good.

Danny, you're coming off really poorly right now. That thread was full of decent discussion by fans of a band which you are currently posting on a message board for. It was people sharing about their love of the band, and you pretty much only seem to be bitter because people didn't agree with you. You're throwing around your opinion that the last 15 years of their career haven't been as good as the rest of their career as fact, and when people disagree with you, you're painting them as pathetic blind sheep.

Don't be silly, Cobbler.

The reality is that there are always a few users who create the bad reputation of that part of the forum, admittedly they get on my nerves a whole damn lot. However, I'd go as far as to say that there are a noticeable amount of very good posters that frequent the place.

Danny, you're coming off really poorly right now. That thread was full of decent discussion by fans of a band which you are currently posting on a message board for. It was people sharing about their love of the band, and you pretty much only seem to be bitter because people didn't agree with you. You're throwing around your opinion that the last 15 years of their career haven't been as good as the rest of their career as fact, and when people disagree with you, you're painting them as pathetic blind sheep.

Put it much better then I ever could have. Thank you.

well i guess my brain exaggerated it all. i withdraw my scathing criticism.

my point (and iYup's and khan's) about listening almost exclusively to U2 and not realising there is a world of other music out there still stands though.

Galeongirl listened to NLOTH2 like 5956956759675995 times straight. That was pretty batshit. Especially since the album version is better. :wink:

you won't get bashed! :) well, by me anyway!

Thank you. :D

my point (and iYup's and khan's) about listening almost exclusively to U2 and not realising there is a world of other music out there still stands though.

I always wonder about people who listen almost exclusively to any band. I wouldn't ridicule them as some would but I wouldn't be able to grasp how one can survive like that.

when i was 7-13 i thought that the beatles were the only band i'd ever need to listen to, and then i realized that was stupid. there was some "which would you rather do" post-whoring thread either in LS or somewhere else several years back, you know, stupid time wasting stuff like "would you rather eat a bowl of live squid or a bowl of live octopi?" say i went with squid, and then say something like "would you rather listen to 1 song for the rest of your life or constantly hear new songs but never hear any song you've ever heard a second time?" i'd go with the latter, hands down. sure it's a ridiculous extreme, and like i said it was a post-whore time-killing thread, but for some reason i've remembered that one.

I do recall someone posting that he had listened to Achtung Baby almost every day since its release date. That's truly baffling.

yeah, even in that 6 year block of my life where i claimed to like the beatles and nothing other than the beatles, i still listened to the local oldies station and there was no such album that i listened to every single day. i even needed variety when i refused to admit it.

Exaggerated or not, I think it is safe to say that the mention of genres perceived to be alien to U2 draws a great deal of criticism in EYKIW. The current "club album" thread is proof enough of that. There are many, many posts in that thread deriding Will.I.Am without any kind of justification beyond the simple claim that his "style" does not fit with U2.

If one does not enjoy the Black-Eyed Peas, that is understandable; but the underlying current of many of those posts, at least in my estimation, is that the hip-hop/pop genre that they represent is somehow invalid or lacking in substance. An even stronger example is the Jay-Z thread in this forum, which was begun by an EYKIW regular with the basic assumption that most in this forum would dislike rap. Though some in EYKIW are open-minded in musical terms, the forum as a whole most certainly is not.

That thread pisses me the hell off. Shame on some people for wanting to have actual conversation in there. It's just one giant joke pretending like they're just kidding when they're just belittling an entire genre.

Though I admit I haven't touched the thread in about three weeks.

The club album thread? It's mostly OONTS OONTS OONTS jokes now.

If it's not, then I just have selective reading in that thread, which works out just fine most of the time.

Oh. I'm sorry that stuff is pissing you off. I can't speak for all the ones doing it, but I never thought it was about belittling the genre, it was just about stupid jokes that you find amusing.

(And by "you," of course, I do not mean YOU. ;) )

I went and read through the last few pages of the thread, and it's whiplashed from Crazy Tonight bashing, to oonts jokes, to the MOS "rap," to "what is rap," to a rather offensive comment about rap.

It's irritating on many levels.

One should be thanking the stars on a daily basis that one is not a Bon Jovi fan. So glad I have a wide enough worldview and a sophisticated enough palate to be free from listening to such watered-down, unoriginal tripe, let alone having to write rabid, unintentionally funny defenses of them on message boards for another band.

So lucky.

Oh. I'm sorry that stuff is pissing you off. I can't speak for all the ones doing it, but I never thought it was about belittling the genre, it was just about stupid jokes that you find amusing.

(And by "you," of course, I do not mean YOU. ;) )

I went and read through the last few pages of the thread, and it's whiplashed from Crazy Tonight bashing, to oonts jokes, to the MOS "rap," to "what is rap," to a rather offensive comment about rap.

It's irritating on many levels.

It's just the fact that I was trying to have an actual conversation about the album a few weeks ago after I listened to that Black Eyed Peas album, and it was quickly dismissed (by yourself as well, but at least you had a conversation with me about it first) and then devolved back into "oonts" talk (which, btw, I don't even feel is the correct way to spell that beat :tsk: )

And yeah, I have glanced now and again and seen what you're talk about.

One should be thanking the stars on a daily basis that one is not a Bon Jovi fan. So glad I have a wide enough worldview and a sophisticated enough palate to be free from listening to such watered-down, unoriginal tripe, let alone having to write rabid, unintentionally funny defenses of them on message boards for another band.

So lucky.

I don't know if I'd call myself a fan. I enjoy their music, I know the majority of it is stupid (though I really do love New Jersey) but to have that level of unabashed love for them is....I don't think impressive's the correct work.

I'm sorry, Ashley. I try not to be dismissive or shut down a conversation, so I'm a bit appalled at myself to hear that.

And how would you spell it? I've also seen nts nts nts ... I think it's funny because back in the 90s, my best friend and I used to randomly bust out into the verbal approximation of the beat, however you spell it. That's my attachment to the oonts joke. :)

Ha! I'm sorry for my oonts jokes shutting down your conversation.

The only person who can apologize for Bon Jovi is Bon Jovi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom