Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a big fan of Teenage Dream, but I finally got around to checking out that version on Glee that everyone was raving about.

Man, that was everything it was cracked up to be. Better than the original.

But I'm really not a Katy Perry fan. Hot and Cold is okay, and I do like a cover she did of Sam Sparro's Black and Gold.

I hate Glee. I hate it. I don't understand the appeal at all.

The appeal? Some great comedy writing, mostly in the form of quick one-liners. And many of them delivered by Jane Lynch. Shiny, happy production value. Also, a bunch of good looking young people, both male and female, running around. Not sure how you could not understand the appeal of that. Everybody likes that. Also, a prevailing "feel good" approach. People like underdog stories, and the show is about a bunch of losers trying to become winners. Most every episode ends in a campy and triumphant musical number where everybody gets together to sing a big song and hug and laugh and solve whatever issues came up over the last hour. People like stuff that makes them feel good, and if you can combine it with music, that's going to sell especially well.

Obviously it's perfectly fine that you personally don't like it, but to say you don't understand why other people like it? That's surprising.

I hate Glee. I hate it. I don't understand the appeal at all.
I'm not crazy about Glee either.

community-glee.jpg

Ha, I was just out smoking a cigarette and I thought "Fuck, was Impy quoting Community?"

I just got caught in a trap, and was made silly by a quote from my fucking favorite TV show.

I've reached a new low. Apologies to Dan Harmon and Alison Brie. Let's watch some American football. Does anyone else hate Adam Schefter?

He has an irritating speaking voice.

This is for GAF:

Vampire Weekend covering Cheryl Cole.

YouTube - Vampire Weekend - Fight For This Love

Interesting. I love Chezza with all of my heart, but this kinda thing makes me wonder. The story apparently is that Vampire Weekend heard Fight For This Love on the radio and thought "This is awesome!" Good for them, but it makes me wonder, do they even realize that Cheryl was in a band before she went solo and they made WAYYYYY better music than this? I'm happy for her success, and if this cover exposes her and her music to at least one sad hipster and changes their life for the better, that's a good thing. But what would be even better is if it exposes the Aloud to at least one sad hipster.

I can't believe that she might actually be a judge on the U.S. X-Factor. If the girl I've been obsessing over for 6 years that nobody in America has ever heard of suddenly becomes a big celebrity in America...it will be really weird. I'm going to be obnoxious and be all "I knew her before you did!"

It's a decent cover. The horns were a good choice.

I have no idea how those "indie band covers pop song" things happen. Remember how many people started covering Since U Been Gone and Toxic when those were big? I swear, covers of those suckers were everywhere.

Well, the Vampire Weekend thing was for Radio 1 Live Lounge, the show where bands are supposed to cover a hit pop song. Like I said, for this particular one, apparently VW heard it on the radio, loved it, and wanted to cover it. So that's pretty easily explained.

As for covers of Since U Been Gone and Toxic, yeah, there were a bunch. But I think that's probably because those are just two great songs. And maybe indie/rock bands think it's cute and cool and oh so ironic to cover something like Britney Spears.

Like I said, for this particular one, apparently VW heard it on the radio, loved it, and wanted to cover it. So that's pretty easily explained.

Oh, man. Reading comprehension fail. :doh:

And maybe indie/rock bands think it's cute and cool and oh so ironic to cover something like Britney Spears.

I've always figured there are some groups who do it because they legitimately like the song, and others who do it for the other reason you mentioned.

Only a couple more months until Britney's new album.

A thread will be made for it, by me. Oh yes, a thread will be made.

I have no idea how those "indie band covers pop song" things happen. Remember how many people started covering Since U Been Gone and Toxic when those were big? I swear, covers of those suckers were everywhere.

Nothing for me will ever top the Afghan Whig's cover of TLC's Creep. Greg Dulli is a huge fan of classic and current R&b and made a habit of quoting songs or covering them completely during Whigs shows, as well as with his current band The Twilight Singers.

The latter have a whole album of covers, including Mary J Blige, Marvin Gaye, Martina Topley-Bird, Fleetwood Mac, Skip James, Bjork, Mazzy Star, as well as standards Strange Fruit, Summertime, and Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair.

It's called She Loves You and is a great album.

Antony & The Johnsons have an interesting cover of "Crazy in Love" floating around on YouTube. I think that it was also released on one of the singles from The Crying Light. In his hands it becomes something like an elegy.

what did fountains of wayne cover? it was terrible, apparently i've blocked most of the memory of hearing it aside from that they covered something. i want to say it was "hit me baby one more time"?

I remember Travis covering Baby One More Time. It wasn't great, although it sounded like they were having a hell of a time.

what did fountains of wayne cover? it was terrible, apparently i've blocked most of the memory of hearing it aside from that they covered something. i want to say it was "hit me baby one more time"?

yeah, it was that.

hey, since we're talking about bad covers (well, covers at any rate. i'm talking about bad ones), who in the hell did elton john's "saturday night" and why was that necessary?

As in Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting? I haven't heard that.

yeah, that. i have no attatchment whatsoever to the original from whence it comes, but for some reason it made me want to violently defend it and expell the idiots who recorded that mess from the edge of the earth. into an abyss, or something. yeah, off a cliff into never ending, dark, abyssal depths. and i still don't think that would be good enough.

ok, i listened to the tired pony thing. it was too boring (which is what i'd expect from a band with anyone from snow patrol involved) for me to care, and the video was too boring for me to watch (so i had it on in the background while i railed against the saturday night's a good night to fuck up a song i never even liked much in the first place disaster).

oh hey, that second part of that post apparently was meant for the unpopular music opinions thread, not here. oops. well, it's not like it's the same bunch of people's other chat thread in b&c anyway, so you all probably won't even notice. right???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom