Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you haven't heard :(

I've been quite bad about keeping up with 2010 releases, actually. Since school started, my musical discovery instinct has been squashed, so chances are, I haven't heard it.

On my list currently: Janelle Monae's The Archandroid. "Tightrope" is my fucking jam.

all you need is now!

k seriously i'll stfu about it before i piss everyone off :reject:

:lol:

Any music recommendations from this year that I absolutely must listen to before the end of the month, folks?

Have you heard of this new band, The Nationals? They have this album about flowers that are high on drugs or something. I figure you'd like it, since you're a hippie.

Have you heard of this new band, The Nationals? They have this album about flowers that are high on drugs or something. I figure you'd like it, since you're a hippie.

A hippie glare is pointed in your general direction.

I've been quite bad about keeping up with 2010 releases, actually. Since school started, my musical discovery instinct has been squashed, so chances are, I haven't heard it.

On my list currently: Janelle Monae's The Archandroid. "Tightrope" is my fucking jam.
I'll just let you run amuck through my top 50, how bout that? :lol:

But I can't recommend the albums in my top ten enough.

1. Brandon Flowers – Flamingo
2. The National – High Violet
3. Frightened Rabbit – The Winter of Mixed Drinks
4. Stars – The Five Ghosts
5. Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
6. Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago
7. Phantogram – Eyelid Movies
8. Wild Nothing - Gemini
9. Vampire Weekend – Contra
10. Antony & The Johnsons – Swanlights
11. Yeasayer – Odd Blood
12. Blitzen Trapper – Destroyer of the Void
13. Fang Island – Fang Island *
14. LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening
15. Taylor Swift – Speak Now
16. Band of Horses – Infinite Arms *
17. Cee Lo Green – The Lady Killer
18. Gaslight Anthem – American Slang
19. God Is An Astronaut – Age of the Fifth Sun
20. The Drums – The Drums
21. Hot Chip - One Life Stand
22. Caribou - Swim
23. Four Tet - There is Love in You
24. Robyn – Body Talk
25. Of Montreal – False Priest
26. Gorillaz – Plastic Beach
27. Hellogoodbye – Would It Kill You?
28. Blue Hawaii – Blooming Summer
29. Foals – Total Life Forever
30. Black Mountain – Wilderness Heart
31. Sting - Symphonicities
32. Jonsi – Go
33. Kylie Minogue – Aphrodite
34. Spoon – Transference
35. Drive-By Truckers – The Big To-Do
36. Broken Social Scene – Forgiveness Rock Record
37. Two Door Cinema Club – Tourist History
38. The Hold Steady – Heaven is Whenever
39. John Mellencamp – No Better Than This
40. Roky Erickson – True Love Cast Out All Evil
41. Los Campesinos! – Romance is Boring
42. Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
43. Ratatat – LP4
44. Kaki King – Junior *
45. Pure Reason Revolution – Hammer and Anvil
46. Grinderman – Grinderman 2
47. Liars – Sisterworld *
48. Twin Shadow – Forget
49. Shout Out Louds – Work
50. Andy Bell – Non-Stop

Edit: Ignore the random color changes

I'll just let you run amuck through my top 50, how bout that? :lol:

But I can't recommend the albums in my top ten enough.

1. Brandon Flowers – Flamingo
2. The National – High Violet
3. Frightened Rabbit – The Winter of Mixed Drinks
4. Stars – The Five Ghosts
5. Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
6. Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago
7. Phantogram – Eyelid Movies
8. Wild Nothing - Gemini
9. Vampire Weekend – Contra
10. Antony & The Johnsons – Swanlights
11. Yeasayer – Odd Blood
12. Blitzen Trapper – Destroyer of the Void
13. Fang Island – Fang Island *
14. LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening
15. Taylor Swift – Speak Now
16. Band of Horses – Infinite Arms *
17. Cee Lo Green – The Lady Killer
18. Gaslight Anthem – American Slang
19. God Is An Astronaut – Age of the Fifth Sun
20. The Drums – The Drums
21. Hot Chip - One Life Stand
22. Caribou - Swim
23. Four Tet - There is Love in You
24. Robyn – Body Talk
25. Of Montreal – False Priest
26. Gorillaz – Plastic Beach
27. Hellogoodbye – Would It Kill You?
28. Blue Hawaii – Blooming Summer
29. Foals – Total Life Forever
30. Black Mountain – Wilderness Heart
31. Sting - Symphonicities
32. Jonsi – Go
33. Kylie Minogue – Aphrodite
34. Spoon – Transference
35. Drive-By Truckers – The Big To-Do
36. Broken Social Scene – Forgiveness Rock Record
37. Two Door Cinema Club – Tourist History
38. The Hold Steady – Heaven is Whenever
39. John Mellencamp – No Better Than This
40. Roky Erickson – True Love Cast Out All Evil
41. Los Campesinos! – Romance is Boring
42. Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
43. Ratatat – LP4
44. Kaki King – Junior *
45. Pure Reason Revolution – Hammer and Anvil
46. Grinderman – Grinderman 2
47. Liars – Sisterworld *
48. Twin Shadow – Forget
49. Shout Out Louds – Work
50. Andy Bell – Non-Stop

Edit: Ignore the random color changes

Yay! Thanks!

Twin Shadow's up after Monae. I've been putting that one off for too long now.

So, I'm relistening to Sisterworld for the first time since this summer and holy shit I forgot how...weird this album is. I still like it a lot, but I'm kind of surprised how high I had it ranked.

To me, at least, they reminded me of electro-ier Elbow, but with Chris Martin on vocals.

I hope that last bit didn't turn you off of them.

Ew, Coldplay. I'm sooooo done with them already. :wink:

Nah, it's been well received, so I'll check it out regardless.

I am finished with finals. That means I'm returning to my homeland in the far southeastern corner of PA.

Rock and roll stops the traffic, guys.

Charles Mingus is officially my favorite jazz artist. Holy shit, Blues & Roots is passionate. You can hear the sweat pouring out of the speakers, and it never lets up. That doesn't even take into account the structurally dazzling Black Saint and Mingus Ah Um. Sorry Miles, you rule and all, but damn.

Mingus is astounding. He is the only jazz musician that can legitimately challenge Miles in terms of sheer creativity (perhaps Ornette Coleman can be mentioned here as well). Black Saint and Mingus Ah Um are two of the finest jazz albums I have ever heard, but you should also hear Oh Yeah, New Tijuana Moods, and especially Let My Children Hear Music.

powerhour24 said:
Mingus was such a giant douche, for some reason it's always been hard to put that out of my mind when listening to him.

He was bi-polar, which accounted for a great deal of his erratic behavior. He was also a strong anti-racism advocate, so calling him a "giant douche" is really quite unfair.

Twin Shadow's up after Monae.

I've got Twin Shadow coming in the mail as I type. That and Glasser should, I hope, complete the list of albums that I need to hear from this year.

Edit: I need to add Abe Vigoda to that list.

And Janelle Monae's album is stunning - far superior to Kanye in terms of R&B/Hip-Hop albums, in my opinion at least. Perhaps I should not conflate the two genres, but I see similarities in the ambition of those two albums. Monae's is much more fluid and diverse than Twisted Fantasy.

So, because someone is an anti-racism advocate, they can't also be a giant douche? I didn't know they were mutually exclusive.

I hate racism, and may eventually become some form of an anti-racism advocate but, as you guys know, I am also a huge douchebag.

It's more because he was certifiably bi-polar. Calling someone with a severe psychiatric disorder a "douche" is not exactly the height of sensitivity. Powerhour may not have known about his condition, so I do not want to accuse him of insensitivity; I'm just trying to put Mingus's behavior in context.

So, I'm relistening to Sisterworld for the first time since this summer and holy shit I forgot how...weird this album is. I still like it a lot, but I'm kind of surprised how high I had it ranked.

I like it quite a bit as well. Scarecrows on a Killer Slant and The Overachievers are two of my most listened to (and fav) rockers this year, likely. I realize many hate them, but Liars albums are typically quite solid for my personal tastes.

Have you seen the music video for Scissor?

I like it quite a bit as well. Scarecrows on a Killer Slant and The Overachievers are two of my most listened to (and fav) rockers this year, likely. I realize many hate them, but Liars albums are typically quite solid for my personal tastes.

Have you seen the music video for Scissor?

I kept it where I had it ranked because by the end I was back into the swing of it and enjoying it again. At some point I'll probably go back and listen to their other stuff.

I have not, I take it I should?

I did see them live this summer though, at P4K fest. They're some odd ducks, that's for damn sure.

I have not, I take it I should?

I did see them live this summer though, at P4K fest. They're some odd ducks, that's for damn sure.

It's pretty cool. Make sure to stick through to the very end.

YouTube - Liars - Scissor

I've actually seen them live 3 times. Once opening for Interpol, once as the headliner, once opening for Radiohead. They were so hilarious when I saw them open for Interpol (lead singer was wearing some gigantic white suit, similar to Byrne's Talking Heads suit), I immediately went out and bought a few albums. I actually watched most of their set on the P4K Fest stream, they covered Bauhaus, which was awesome.

It's pretty cool. Make sure to stick through to the very end.

YouTube - Liars - Scissor

I've actually seen them live 3 times. Once opening for Interpol, once as the headliner, once opening for Radiohead. They were so hilarious when I saw them open for Interpol (lead singer was wearing some gigantic white suit, similar to Byrne's Talking Heads suit), I immediately went out and bought a few albums. I actually watched most of their set on the P4K Fest stream, they covered Bauhaus, which was awesome.

:yikes: Jesus that was creepy. But pretty awesome.

Since you watched the stream, then you know when I saw them he was wearing uber creepy short shorts.

He was bi-polar, which accounted for a great deal of his erratic behavior. He was also a strong anti-racism advocate, so calling him a "giant douche" is really quite unfair.

I know he was a civil rights activist, and that doesn't play into my calling him a douche, I'm talking about the way he treated fellow musicians, audiences, and those that hired him, when learning jazz history this kind of behavior was mentioned about as often as his creative pursuits. Now I wasn't aware that he was bipolar, if that's true I'm kind of being a hypocrite given my love of Ryan Adams.

I'll still take Coltrane, Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie as my favorite jazz artists, with Miles, & Thelonius rounding out the top 5, Mingus is in the top 10.

I know he was a civil rights activist, and that doesn't play into my calling him a douche, I'm talking about the way he treated fellow musicians, audiences, and those that hired him, when learning jazz history this kind of behavior was mentioned about as often as his creative pursuits. Now I wasn't aware that he was bipolar, if that's true I'm kind of being a hypocrite given my love of Ryan Adams.

I know that a lot of his behavior was uncouth at best. There's no denying that. It's just a shame that so little was known about bi-polar disorder at the time. He was probably never properly medicated; if he was taking any medications, they probably exacerbated rather than helped the situation.

There's nothing hypocritical about not knowing something. Again, I did not want to sound accusatory; my apologies if I did. :)

A man walked into a Library in Toronto the other week and killed another man with a crossbow. I think GAF's weapon of choice should be a crossbow

I know that a lot of his behavior was uncouth at best. There's no denying that. It's just a shame that so little was known about bi-polar disorder at the time. He was probably never properly medicated; if he was taking any medications, they probably exacerbated rather than helped the situation.

There's nothing hypocritical about not knowing something. Again, I did not want to sound accusatory; my apologies if I did. :)

No hard feelings, just making sure no one thought I was calling someone a douche for being a civil rights activist! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom