Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's no biggie, If you were the one who changed the topic I had already forgotten and wasn't blaming you.

Looking at my posts from the last couple of days, I guess I could probably apologize myself for being incredibly bitchy. I'm just in a terrible mood right now and the anonymous internet is there waiting.

Nah, you have nothing to apologize for. Any bitchiness directed my way lately, I've probably earned, because I feel like I've been a bit bitchy lately, too, or at least overly irritable.

I think I just need a break from this place, but it's such freaking habit to come here whenever I have a spare minute.

Damn internets.

i started a thread in there a little while back, asking 1) are U2 your favourite band (for me, yes) and 2) are they your favourite band of the past 10-15 years (for me, no.) because certainly in this forum we all agree that we love U2, but their past decade or so has been one of the worst (for lack of a much better word) stretches of their career.

i got attacked by EYKIW, i was called elitist and a snob (neither of which bother me, i couldn't give a fuck about being called names on an internet forum) because i was "looking down" on people who say U2 are their favourite both of all time and the past 10-15 years.

if some of these people actually broadened their musical horizons instead of, like you said, listening exclusively to U2 and Snow Patrol, they would find some great music. but they won't listen to reason. it's U2 or nothing. you try to explain that there's been other great music out there and no discussion eventuates, people in that forum just completely overreact.

and then i had the nerve to say that i enjoyed Outkast's output in this time (Aquemini/Stankonia/Speakerboxxx/Love Below) more than U2's (Pop/Atty Club/Hut Dab). and wasn't i just completely wrong about that! "Hip-hop is not even music", i read, and then walked out.

So its not possible for U2 to be someone's favorite band of the past 15 years without them only listening to U2 and similar (knockoff artists)? That's bull, U2 is my favorite band of that stretch, while it may not be the strongest section if their career, it is the portion that I've been cognizant for. I love a wide variety of musical genres and artists, I'm a composer with a degree in music theory, but I must have a low IQ and know nothing about music because I post regularly in a U2 forum and they're my favorite band. I'm not trying to bash you guys, I like talking with most people around here, but seriously whether you take it as deragotry or not you are being elitist and judgmental, we're all allowed to like/listen to what we want, and given that we're in a fan forum you're being even more ridiculous when we should be on common ground.

i started a thread in there a little while back, asking 1) are U2 your favourite band (for me, yes) and 2) are they your favourite band of the past 10-15 years (for me, no.) because certainly in this forum we all agree that we love U2, but their past decade or so has been one of the worst (for lack of a much better word) stretches of their career.

i got attacked by EYKIW, i was called elitist and a snob (neither of which bother me, i couldn't give a fuck about being called names on an internet forum) because i was "looking down" on people who say U2 are their favourite both of all time and the past 10-15 years.

if some of these people actually broadened their musical horizons instead of, like you said, listening exclusively to U2 and Snow Patrol, they would find some great music. but they won't listen to reason. it's U2 or nothing. you try to explain that there's been other great music out there and no discussion eventuates, people in that forum just completely overreact.

and then i had the nerve to say that i enjoyed Outkast's output in this time (Aquemini/Stankonia/Speakerboxxx/Love Below) more than U2's (Pop/Atty Club/Hut Dab). and wasn't i just completely wrong about that! "Hip-hop is not even music", i read, and then walked out.

I agree with you that there's a LOT of crappy comments on ETYKIW, and agree that several of those people are just... dumb, on that matter, at least.
I listen to several different things (nice that you mentioned OutKast; Speakerboxxx/The Love Below for sure is among the top ones of this decade), ranging from Kanye West to Ulrich Schnauss, Rolling Stones to Daft Punk and so it goes, but I do think that the 00's are their second best decade, and a very good one, since their "worst" (still amazing) is the 80's. So, if you're saying that a person is wrong for that, you're wrong instead. However, if you're saying that someone with a very small knowledgement of music in general, a person that doesn't listen to different things/bands is wrong to criticize you on this matter (which is what I think you're saying), then I completely agree with you. There's some people that just won't open their minds, unfortunately.

One should be thanking the stars on a daily basis that one is not a Bon Jovi fan. So glad I have a wide enough worldview and a sophisticated enough palate to be free from listening to such watered-down, unoriginal tripe, let alone having to write rabid, unintentionally funny defenses of them on message boards for another band.

So lucky.

but they've played more concerts than u2 this year.

-SAMBORA BLOWS EDGE AWAY LIKE A BIRD FROM THE SKY

I've been laughing for two minutes straight.

And B12 being called a "child" was hilarious.

Godspeed, Klemen, wherever you are.

That thread went down in a BLAZE OF GLORY and I missed it.

U2 has been, to their own standards, quite mediocre, but "good" is unquantifiable, so I choose not to argue with people who think Grace is fucking terrific. However, the lack of musical experience starts to come into play when people think songs like Magnificent or MOS are harder to come across in music than a gold-plated Pegasus. U2 hasn't broken any ground in ages, and that's alright.

It's hard to believe that Led Zeppelin had a hand in getting Sambora a start in the business.

that "have you ever made love with a pharoah / ohhh put the pussy in a sarcohpagus" line is my favourite on the entire album.

Exaggerated or not, I think it is safe to say that the mention of genres perceived to be alien to U2 draws a great deal of criticism in EYKIW. The current "club album" thread is proof enough of that. There are many, many posts in that thread deriding Will.I.Am without any kind of justification beyond the simple claim that his "style" does not fit with U2.

If one does not enjoy the Black-Eyed Peas, that is understandable; but the underlying current of many of those posts, at least in my estimation, is that the hip-hop/pop genre that they represent is somehow invalid or lacking in substance. An even stronger example is the Jay-Z thread in this forum, which was begun by an EYKIW regular with the basic assumption that most in this forum would dislike rap. Though some in EYKIW are open-minded in musical terms, the forum as a whole most certainly is not.

:up::up:

and this is mostly what i was trying to get at. my post was poorly worded. i guess i'm just different to these people who listen to nothing but U2 24/7. that is their wont. i do get frustrated though for the same reasons that you have brought up.

However, if you're saying that someone with a very small knowledgement of music in general, a person that doesn't listen to different things/bands is wrong to criticize you on this matter (which is what I think you're saying), then I completely agree with you. There's some people that just won't open their minds, unfortunately.

this is what i tried to say... but i didn't manage it in my earlier post or that thread. :lol:

So its not possible for U2 to be someone's favorite band of the past 15 years without them only listening to U2 and similar (knockoff artists)? That's bull, U2 is my favorite band of that stretch, while it may not be the strongest section if their career, it is the portion that I've been cognizant for. I love a wide variety of musical genres and artists, I'm a composer with a degree in music theory, but I must have a low IQ and know nothing about music because I post regularly in a U2 forum and they're my favorite band. I'm not trying to bash you guys, I like talking with most people around here, but seriously whether you take it as deragotry or not you are being elitist and judgmental, we're all allowed to like/listen to what we want, and given that we're in a fan forum you're being even more ridiculous when we should be on common ground.

i never once used the term IQ, and if we're going by your final comment, there would never be any interesting discussion on this forum at all. but i take your point, i'll shut up about it because really i don't care and when i turn off the computer i'm going to work and maybe hang out with some friends, petty/elitist/judgemental arguments on here will be the furthest thing from my mind. :)

hey everyone, haaaaaav a nice dayayayaayay :rockon: bon jovi

I also enjoyed his claim that there were 21 Bon Jovi songs every person in the world has heard. I've heard three of them, by my count.

I also enjoyed his claim that there were 21 Bon Jovi songs every person in the world has heard. I've heard three of them, by my count.

:lol: i've probably heard 1. maybe 2? that was more than enough. way more than enough.

ehhhh, knowing how bizarrely out of the loop i am in regards to popular music and having read some of feep's posts about things that even i've heard that he hasn't heard, i'm more inclined to think we actually haven't.

but i guess i could be wrong.

well, yes, that "feep" was supposed to be "peef," but i am apparently typing into a mirror. i might have to call him that from now on.

ok, 3 then, cos i didn't know "you give love a bad name" was bon jovi either, but outside of LOAP and it's my life, nothing by way of titles rings a bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom