Random Music Talk XXI: Check Out This F@&!#%' Shouter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't know, i'm pretty practiced in the art of looking away from car crashes. nope, didn't see nothing, keep driving, lalalalalalalaalala....

It seems frightfully clear to me, on this dreary and depressing cold Sunday morning, that Lily Allen is one of the best pop stars we've had in the last 10 to 15 years.

And my heart crumbles for her and the shit she's gone through in her personal life.

Keep ya head up, Lil. Everyone's at it.

I'm sick of American football. I'm sick of talking heads on TV. I'm sick of pointless, circular bar conversation on a Saturday night about American sports. I'm sick of cocaine and champagne. Just give me some fucking pop music. Sit me down, and shut me up.

GAF, thoughts on the new Cheryl Cole and Nadine albums?

I gave both a listen and found them both disappointing. :(

Good lord.

Cori.

Did you really just open that can of worms? :wink:

It's going to be hard for me to make a readable response post because if there's anything I can talk about at exhausting length it is Cheryl Cole.

Give me a minute, let me have a cigarette, and I'll be back with my detailed thoughts on her half-brilliant, half-devastatingly disappointing sophomore LP.

:lol:

Awesome.

I really liked her first album. Was hoping for more sparkling delights on this one. I think there were one or two songs I liked.

It's interesting, this game of "pop music" here in the 21st century. Cheryl was just a girl from a rough hood in Northern England. She was cute, a bit cocky, an extrovert with a chip on her shoulder, but sweet, authentically and honest-to-goodness sweet and full of love and hard working. Her father was nowhere. He was in and out of jail since she was a kid. She got in trouble in school, dropped out, worked dead end jobs at a grocers and as a waitress at a tacky steak restaurant.

One day she decided to audition for a reality show singing competition.

Flash forward eight years later and she's been on a whirlwind rollercoaster as the most famous, most talked about member of the biggest and best female pop group in her country's long (and sordid) history. She's released a solo album and a smash hit lead single that was the fastest selling of the year in the country. She's one of the most popular public figures in the country, routinely being called "England's Sweetheart." She spars with Simon Cowell twice a week on the country's most watched TV show. Her fashion choices make front page news. She was part of an expedition that climbed Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for a famine relief organization. She's gone through a nasty divorce from her (almost) equally famous football playing husband, after he cheated on her multiple times and got caught. The UK held their breath as she nearly died of malaria that she contracted on a humanitarian jaunt to Tanzania.

So what does she do for her second solo album?

She rushes it. And it's half-baked. There's a fascinating post-divorce breakup album in there somewhere, but its not even close to fully realized. The self-penned and deeply personal "Happy Tears" is a standout. "The Flood" is a big ballad that is destined to be another #1 hit for her. But the whole thing leaves me cold.

To make a long story short: she needs to get back with the Aloud, with Xenomania, and make more everything-and-the-kitchen-sink campy, bouncy, winking, giddy albums.

No more solo albums Cheryl, at least with these producers you're working with now. You need a fresh start. Or four old friends.

They call it manufactured pop, as if that were something to be ashamed of - but we are a manufacturing country. Down our conveyor belts come cars, and shoes, and biscuits, and guns, and pop bands. Useful things and beautiful things. Things that make us go faster, and things that make us feel like we are going faster. Things that we love passionately for a day, and then throw away, and things that we love passionately for a day, and then keep forever.

When Jack Kerouac wrote On The Road in 1957, he said the people he loved the most were the Fabulous Yellow Roman Candles, who were mad to live, mad to talk. We saw it on a t-shirt once. But anyone who was mad to live wouldn’t want to be a Roman Candle. Roman Candles are the rubbish ones. They’re over in thirty seconds. They don’t even spin, or fly. If we were a firework, we’d be a limousine full of dynamite. And we’d put the fire out with vodka. If we could be bothered.

If you know someone who sounds like us, we’ll give you a tenner. If you like someone better than us, frankly, we don’t care. We’re Girls Aloud. We’re Made In Britain.

- Nicola Roberts, 2005

Good post; thanks for the response! Have you heard Nuh-dine's album yet?

I do really hope Girls Aloud haven't come to their end.

Cheryl's put red streaks in her hair, by the way. I think I like it.

Cheryl+Cole+PNG_Cheryl_Cole_BBC1_Interview.png

Nadine's album is...similarly cold and probably not a keeper. There are a few moments that I love, though. Whereas Cheryl rushed her new album, I think Nadine might have actually overcooked hers. These are crazy times.

This is my favorite song in the world at the moment. A demo of a Strokes song, just Julian and a keyboard.

YouTube - The Strokes - I'll Try Anything Once

I'm sick of American football. I'm sick of talking heads on TV.

I sympathize with this one. The commentators are incapable of speaking in anything other than platitudes about "execution," "manhood," and various other ill-defined concepts with the word "football" affixed to the front.

American basketball is alright.
i've grown tolerant of American baseball.
i'm sure hockey would be pretty cool.

however i can not STAND American football. even watching mates play it on the ps3 i want to hang myself. but hey, that's me.

Sympathy for the Devil is one of the best songs ever made.

American football is the only team sport I can stand watching on a regular basis. Though CFL rules are better, the lack of teams and talent make it barely watchable

Baseball is my favorite sport.

Same, and nothing else is really all that close. But I'm actually not really sick of football as I said this morning, because I've watched literally about 8 hours of it today.

It's been a less than memorable Sunday.

I can't stand watching more than a few innings of MLB games, honestly. It all seems pretty redundant and padded unnecessarily, so I watch the 1st and 2nd, then tune in at the end.

NFL games are fairly elastic and can't be put away quite as easily IMO, so I can actually enjoy all four quarters.

I rarely just watch sports. Usually I watch them with others or while doing something else, which is why I don't mind the sometimes monotonous aspect of baseball. I love every inning of a decent game.

That's a nice location you have there, LemonMelon.

In terms of baseball, I would be much more interested if a few changes were made:

1. Shorten the season by at least thirty games.
2. Shorten games to seven innings.
3. Eliminate extra innings in the regular season in favor of ties.

Granted, none of these would ever be enacted. But I find it incredibly hard to believe that players remain motivated throughout a season of 150-plus games. Oh, the lack of a salary cap is also extremely hard on teams like my hometown Indians.

There should be a salary cap, but there should also be a minimum spending cap too. Owners shouldn't be allowed to pocket a ton of money in lieu of winning. If you can't afford to compete, you're not allowed to own.

These anti-baseball posts are making me cry. Let's talk about something else.

Justin Bieber won artist of the year at the American Music Awards tonight, beating out the other four nominees: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Eminem, and Ke$ha.

Baseball is boring. Football is less boring, but still fails to keep my interest for long.

I'm a lifelong NBA fan though. Go Bulls.

Justin Bieber won artist of the year at the American Music Awards tonight, beating out the other four nominees: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Eminem, and Ke$ha.

These Justin Bieber posts are making me cry. Let's talk about something else. Doesn't have to be baseball.

Depressing.

The Resistance was released like a month before last year's AMAs, so if they weren't eligible last year(LMAO, like the AMAs would ever even acknowledge Muse's existence!), Muse should've run away with it, because fucking Bieber can't even dream of putting out something like The Resistance.

:wink: :wink:

The NBA is a bastardization of the sport of basketball.

Oh come on. The officiating can be awful too much of the time, yes, but it's still a great league. I still find it great fun to watch, even if I do think the late 80s and 90s were a better time for it.

Thank you. Worst run professional sport IMO, and that includes the NHL, which is on strike 95% of the time.

See, I don't know where that's coming from. The NHL struggles to find any popularity. The NBA is popular all over the world. I don't know what you mean by 'worst run'.

Back
Top Bottom