Random Music Talk XXI: Check Out This F@&!#%' Shouter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not with a really a clear pre automatic and post automatic distinction between what i mean by early vs later rem, i never really knew where to put that line...

I always draw that line where they jumped to Warner Brothers. So everything pre-Green I look at as legit "early" R.E.M.

I don't know if I would, I'm just throwin this out there, but you could divide into three eras if you wanted to:

Early/IRS -

Chronic Town
Murmur
Reckoning
Fables
LRP
Dead Letter Office
Document

The Big Time -

Green
Out of Time
Automatic
Monster
Hi-Fi

We don't have a drummer anymore -

Up
Reveal
Around the Sun

I always draw that line where they jumped to Warner Brothers. So everything pre-Green I look at as legit "early" R.E.M.

I don't know if I would, I'm just throwin this out there, but you could divide into three eras if you wanted to:

Early/IRS -

Chronic Town
Murmur
Reckoning
Fables
LRP
Dead Letter Office
Document

The Big Time -

Green
Out of Time
Automatic
Monster
Hi-Fi

We don't have a drummer anymore -

Up
Reveal
Around the Sun

:lol: i definitely concur with the hi fi/up "we don't have a drummer anymore" distinction.

but i think it's just the fuzziness of what to do with green and out of time, somedays i'll base it off pre-automatic and post-automatic, otherwise it's record label-based. but green and out of time i could really lump on either side of that fence. although, if we go back to what i said about entire albums vs. individual songs, what i like on green and out of time are more songs than the whole. but then again i like up and hi-fi as albums...and don't like reveal at all. nevermind that i've really been digging accelerate as an entire album.

ok, it's not black and white at all. i just like to pretend there's some rhyme, reason, and clear defined something here because it makes it easier for me (until i think about it, obviously).

Da da da, da da da, da da da, da da-da
Da da da, da da da, da da da, da da-da

Da, da da, Da, da da, Da, da da, Da da-da
Da, da da, Da, da da, Da, da da, Da da-da

As do I. "Red Light," however, just seems incredibly misplaced. The horns and the general atmosphere are too buoyant for the mood of the album, in my opinion at least.

I don't know, for one reason or another, it just fits perfectly for me.

After scoffing at the effusive praise devoted to Pinkerton for quite some time, I finally gave the album a proper listen. And I was impressed. I don't believe that any of the five-star reviews are in any way justified, but I was impressed nonetheless.

i listened to some lcd soundsystem yesterday and will be doing that again today. :up:
at the start of this year i couldn't name an LCD Soundsystem song. now i'm head over heels in love.

I still don't understand the hatred of Is That All.
this and
I still don't understand the hatred of "Red Light".
this!

Is That All? perfectly encapsulates the frustration that was recording October post-groupies, whereas you would think Red Light is four minutes of Bono farting the way it's derided. i think it's great fun and so much better than The Refugee that it's gone from being not funny back to funny again.

oh god, the refugee is annoying as hell. now that one i remember.

i still can't actually name an lcd soundsystem song, and still haven't tracked down the ones i heard that i liked a year or so ago. but it's all-around decent stuff. i'm not in love with it, and i can't imagine i'd ever be really obsessed with it. but it's good.

Are you people serious? It's not pre or post-Automatic and it's not I.R.S./Warner Bros. either. The division is between Green and Out of Time. Before Out of Time, they were a college radio band with a very large cult following and a few big singles. After the Green world tour, these guys made a complete left turn and made a lush, pastoral album (albeit one which leads off with a guest spot from a rapper!) that was their first #1 LP, and also turned them into a huge crossover act. Their decision to not tour that album (or the next one) is another distinguishing point, as is all the instrument-switching that went on between Berry, Mills, and Stipe. And in another new practice, the album was recorded over a longer period of time in various locations.

While Green is a piece of shit next to Document, I look at it as an inflating of their typical sound/style, but nothing that sounded totally out of the ordinary. The only hint towards what they would do next is You Are The Everything (which IMO also happens to be the best thing on there along with World Leader Pretend).

Of course, two albums later they did Monster, but even though the album might seem to have a lot in common with Green, I think songs like Strange Currencies, Tongue, Let Me In, I Don't Sleep I Dream bear the influence of the wider sound they had explored on Out of Time and Automatic. And of course Hi-Fi and Up blended all this together.

The next dividing line really is between Up and Reveal, because even though Berry was missing on the former, they went in a more abstract direction, eschewing a standard drum sound on most of the songs, and experimented in a way that bears zero resemblance to the two miscarriages that were subsequently released.

In short:

Murmur
Reckoning
Fables of the Reconstruction
Lifes Rich Pageant
Document
Green
--
Out of Time
Automatic for the People
Monster
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Up
--
Reveal
Around the Sun
--
Accelerate

Boy
October
War
~
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum
~
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
~
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
No Line on the Horizon

u2 release albums in trio's!!!1!! undispputabel

^ :no: it breaks the trilogy theory!

i know a girl who
thinks of ghosts
she'll cook you breakfast
she'll make you toast
but she don't she don't use butter
and she don't use cheese
she don't use jelly or
any of these
she uses vaseline

Are you people serious? It's not pre or post-Automatic and it's not I.R.S./Warner Bros. either. The division is between Green and Out of Time. Before Out of Time, they were a college radio band with a very large cult following and a few big singles. After the Green world tour, these guys made a complete left turn and made a lush, pastoral album (albeit one which leads off with a guest spot from a rapper!) that was their first #1 LP, and also turned them into a huge crossover act. Their decision to not tour that album (or the next one) is another distinguishing point, as is all the instrument-switching that went on between Berry, Mills, and Stipe. And in another new practice, the album was recorded over a longer period of time in various locations.

While Green is a piece of shit next to Document, I look at it as an inflating of their typical sound/style, but nothing that sounded totally out of the ordinary. The only hint towards what they would do next is You Are The Everything (which IMO also happens to be the best thing on there along with World Leader Pretend).

Of course, two albums later they did Monster, but even though the album might seem to have a lot in common with Green, I think songs like Strange Currencies, Tongue, Let Me In, I Don't Sleep I Dream bear the influence of the wider sound they had explored on Out of Time and Automatic. And of course Hi-Fi and Up blended all this together.

The next dividing line really is between Up and Reveal, because even though Berry was missing on the former, they went in a more abstract direction, eschewing a standard drum sound on most of the songs, and experimented in a way that bears zero resemblance to the two miscarriages that were subsequently released.

In short:

Murmur
Reckoning
Fables of the Reconstruction
Lifes Rich Pageant
Document
Green
--
Out of Time
Automatic for the People
Monster
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Up
--
Reveal
Around the Sun
--
Accelerate

good point.

you know what i wish would go away?

acoustic punk rock. tom gabel had like one tolerable song, brian mcpherson was alright, but otherwise what an annoying excuse to be billy bragg-lite without making it too blatantly obvious (and actually doing it on an electric guitar).

Christ, even Fanny Patois knows they fucked up No Net.

From Rolling Stone:

"The record started out brilliantly. We were just full of life when we started it in Morocco. Boner wanted to make a gospel record for the future. The first third of the record was filled with delight and we really hit on something special. We spent a long time on it, perhaps too long. The usual pressures came in at the end, like what's the first single going to be and what's gonna be in the set. If we had put out the record coming out of Morocco it would have been an amazing record, even at that stage."

Not sure if this is considered good news, but the interview also says he isn't involved with any of Shuttlecock's current projects. If this meant Beano was going solo, I'd love it, but I'd rather have Patois alone then neither of them.

Don't take advantage of

A) my being hammered

2) your time zone

third) Pow Pow being awesome aside from that part

Friggin' Cobbler.

:lol: i'm about to jump on the beers myself, it being 8pm on a friday.

i've told you before that your ability to post correctly (and record music apparently!) whilst severely under the influence is pretty amazing. it's a good thing i usually stay away from the forum while drunk.

Christ, even Fanny Patois knows they fucked up No Net.

From Rolling Stone:

"The record started out brilliantly. We were just full of life when we started it in Morocco. Boner wanted to make a gospel record for the future. The first third of the record was filled with delight and we really hit on something special. We spent a long time on it, perhaps too long. The usual pressures came in at the end, like what's the first single going to be and what's gonna be in the set. If we had put out the record coming out of Morocco it would have been an amazing record, even at that stage."

Fuck. What the hell guys.

One time, in the Other Place, I complained that other bands can put out a new record in a few months from recording to release and have it be brilliant; why can't 'Cock? That thought was an unpopular one. Friggin' Real Fans.

I remember That Place. I'll peek over there once in a while, but those times are getting fewer and farther between. And I've managed to refrain from posting. Just ain't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom