Random Music Talk XXI: Check Out This F@&!#%' Shouter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've heard a lot of the new songs, haven't we? I imagine this road tested stuff is going to end up on the album. And if that's the case, it's not inventive in the least.

Claycourt isn't mister hyperbole, so I'm sure he's honest enough to not make a claim like that w/r/t CastIronBirdie*, Tourn Star, or MercyRule, which clearly are pretty standard stuff.

Every Broken Serve could turn up on a new album, but the studio version was supposed to be more electronic anyway.

Your theory would make more sense if they were still playing these new songs, but NONE of them appeared at either NZ show. So my guess is that they've been shelved for the time being because the Danger Mouse sessions have taken them in a different direction. Which is a good thing because all those new songs were sub-par IMO.

*new title

I really liked "Every Breaking Wave." I thought that it had tremendous atmosphere. My hopes are that it will turn up in a studio form sometime soon.

Return of the Stingray Guitar, Glastonbury, Mercy, North Star, Every Breaking Wave, and Boy Falls from the Sky, right? That was it?

Yeah, nothing interesting out of that group aside from Every Breaking Wave's potential as a full band effort.

Every Breaking Wave is the best of the bunch.

Boy Falls From The Sky sounds good. I'm a fan of Edge's lead riff, and I think there could be some nice pop songs that come out of the Spiderman thing, because it seems Bono and Edge wrote them quickly and didn't overcook them in an effort to make the greatest rock music since bread came sliced.

I actually like North Star. It's pretty, has a strong melody. It's nothing new for the band and it's not terribly exciting, it sounds like it would have fit perfectly on HTDAAB, but I like it. Hope a studio version shows up eventually.

Glastonbury CastIronBirdie never did anything for me.

The new Mercy is an abortion.

Stingray is decently cool, but I'm not a fan of U2 because of their short instrumental tracks.

boy falls from the sky is decidedly good. it's not exactly new territory, but the older ground it covers is stuff i quite like.

north star is nice, but i want to see it properly fleshed out in studio. ditto every breaking wave.

glastonbury was fun. if it was a full time live replacement for elevation i'd like it even more.

i heard them rehearse new mercy, i think on the whole it's probably better, but i wish they'd split the difference between the 2004 and 2010 versions.

keep forgetting about stingray guitar. it's fun.

Listening to The Blueprint 3 for the first time. And, well, this is really damn good!

Shouldn't Pitchfork shun themselves for reviewing mainstream artists like Jay-Z, Kanye, U2, etc.? They used to have so much 'cred' when they only reviewed stuff you'd never heard of, and would never want to because of their shit 'journalism'.

Same as every other online zine: go through the promos and use the message board to see what the reviewers are talking about, enjoying, and wanting to review/discuss. This is why the vast majority of reviews are positive.

I find it odd that they've never reviewed certain bands. Like Mutemath, for example. They've had two albums out, and you can't find a trace of them on Pitchfork.

Scott Walker's The Drift may be the most bizarre album that I have ever heard. I did, however, enjoy it.

Can someone refresh my memory about the whole Scott Walker meme that was going here for a while?

Historian?

Also, for old times' sake, remember this classic?

interland_collage.jpg

I find it odd that they've never reviewed certain bands. Like Mutemath, for example. They've had two albums out, and you can't find a trace of them on Pitchfork.

Personally, as a huge Mutemath fan, I'm glad their career has yet to smeared with Pitchfork bile.

We're still not ready.

I think my favorite part is when Lance said he isn't going to check out Scott Walker because of LastEdgeOnEarth, and the reply is:

"Hate to tell ya, but the joke's on you....Scott Walker doesn't care."

Wow.

Has anyone else seen the Harry Nilsson documentary Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talking About Him?

It was very, very good. Now I need some Schmilsson in my library.

Speaking of people who are no longer with us, WTF happened to Impy? Did he resign in protest at GAF's suspension? I don't think he's been here since.

Back
Top Bottom