Random Music Talk XLVIII: Like Tennessee Williams, we wait for The CLICK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's bad. If only because of Every Unicorn Is A Godsend, Shake It Out being chosen over What The Water Gave Me, and absolutely no Kaputt tracks when there should be like 9 of them.

Yeah, but there will probably never be a list created that you'll care for other than one you yourself create, so there's that.

I'm not sure if I love or hate this cover:

header.jpg

LemonMelon said:
It's bad. If only because of Every Unicorn Is A Godsend, Shake It Out being chosen over What The Water Gave Me, and absolutely no Kaputt tracks when there should be like 9 of them.

I have a feeling this place is going to be one of the few where it gets the love it so thoroughly deserves.

Listening to Camp right now. About halfway through and am confused but intrigued by Glover's talent. He's a great singer, and he can write, but this album has no idea what it wants to be. Parts of this sound like shitty Goblin retreads, and other parts sound like everything on the radio at the moment (Heartbeat is painfully transparent with its Skrillex-wannabe beat). But then there are brilliant tracks like Outside that bring it all together. Lyrically, Fire Fly is excellent too, although I feel like the hook is tacked on.

I dunno, I'm kind of feeling this, but it's a mess. I hope he makes more albums and starts to shore up his persona a little bit. He goes from Tyler to Kanye to Kid Cudi and back again, and it's not so much versatile as it is confused.

I'm jk.

My team won bar trivia again last night. For one of the theme rounds we were given the birth name of a 2012 Grammy nominee and we had to provide the stage name.

So it was shit like: Stefani Germanotta, Dwayne Michael Carter, Aubrey Graham, Alicia Moore, Katherine Hudson, Stacy Ferguson, Justin Vernon, etc.

Easy shit. I nailed it. The only ones I missed were Cee-Lo and Bruno Mars. Don't even remember what their real names were now.

But the host also told us that there will be an Arrested Development round next week. I've been meaning to go back and watch the whole series (haven't sat down and done that in probably like 3 years) and now is a great time to do it. If I watch every episode of that show between now and Sunday, I highly doubt I'll get a single question wrong. It will be so fresh in my mind.

So I know it's not authentic or anything, but I just listened to the reissue of SMiLE. And, um, holy fucking shit! I'd never listened to any incarnation of that album. Sure, I'd heard Surf's Up, Good Vibrations, and Heroes and Villains. But wow, what an album that could have been! Definitely worth the wait though to have it now as it could have been back then. Carl Wilson was correct. The bases were loaded. This album would have been a grand slam.

I'm jk.

My team won bar trivia again last night. For one of the theme rounds we were given the birth name of a 2012 Grammy nominee and we had to provide the stage name.

So it was shit like: Stefani Germanotta, Dwayne Michael Carter, Aubrey Graham, Alicia Moore, Katherine Hudson, Stacy Ferguson, Justin Vernon, etc.

Easy shit. I nailed it. The only ones I missed were Cee-Lo and Bruno Mars. Don't even remember what their real names were now.

But the host also told us that there will be an Arrested Development round next week. I've been meaning to go back and watch the whole series (haven't sat down and done that in probably like 3 years) and now is a great time to do it. If I watch every episode of that show between now and Sunday, I highly doubt I'll get a single question wrong. It will be so fresh in my mind.

I shouldn't be surprised that you base your television viewing choices around bar trivia.

Hope you kick some ass next week. :up:

Also, pretty thrilled to hear about that new Of Montreal record. They're done with that stale trilogy deal, so I'm expecting some great shit.

LemonMelon said:
Listening to Camp right now. About halfway through and am confused but intrigued by Glover's talent. He's a great singer, and he can write, but this album has no idea what it wants to be. Parts of this sound like shitty Goblin retreads, and other parts sound like everything on the radio at the moment (Heartbeat is painfully transparent with its Skrillex-wannabe beat). But then there are brilliant tracks like Outside that bring it all together. Lyrically, Fire Fly is excellent too, although I feel like the hook is tacked on.

I dunno, I'm kind of feeling this, but it's a mess. I hope he makes more albums and starts to shore up his persona a little bit. He goes from Tyler to Kanye to Kid Cudi and back again, and it's not so much versatile as it is confused.

I agree with all this, the Tyler to Kanye to Cudi bit especially (and I'd throw in a bit of Wayne too but DGlo is like infinity times more talented) but it doesn't bother me a great deal. There aren't many hip-hop albums that are completely focused.

Since you've given me the opportunity though, how fucking versatile is Aquemini? Holy shit.

Imperor said:
Gambino is a mastermind.

Fuck a bitch to pass the time.

I'm nowhere near as versed in hip-hop as many of you, but it seems to me that Glover's flow is noticeably underdeveloped on Freaks & Geeks, almost as though he is struggling to keep up with the beat. He sounds really uncomfortable, which is something I cannot say about Kanye or Cobbler's boys from Outkast.

Ha. Your crusade against all things Oasis, and your lingering 15-year-old bitterness about a stupid media conceived "rivalry" between Oasis and your beloved Blur, is sad and pathetic. But I actually like that joke.

Like I'm the only person who hates the Gallaghers?

I don't hate them because of the blur rivalry, it's because they're just flat-out assholes. The blur thing (like wishing Damon gets AIDS) is only one example of their assholery.

I like Gambino while admitting no objectivity because I just like the guy. I will never be objective about him and will like anything he releases that sounds fun or interesting. I've accepted that.

Ha. Your crusade against all things Oasis, and your lingering 15-year-old bitterness about a stupid media conceived "rivalry" between Oasis and your beloved Blur, is sad and pathetic.

Agree with this. Liam's hilariously stupid but Noel's cool.

He's the one who made the AIDS comment, IIRC.

And while Noel has certainly toned it down in recent years, they've both been responsible for a lot of stupid quotes.

iron yuppie said:
I'm nowhere near as versed in hip-hop as many of you, but it seems to me that Glover's flow is noticeably underdeveloped on Freaks & Geeks, almost as though he is struggling to keep up with the beat. He sounds really uncomfortable, which is something I cannot say about Kanye or Cobbler's boys from Outkast.

I agree, but, like peef, gaf and imps, I just like the dude.

As a fan of Derrick Comedy, a fanboy of Community, and an appreciator of his stand up, there's plenty for me to like with the Gambino stuff. If you're going to scrutinize Camp the same way you would something like Dark Twisted Fantasy, you're kind of missing the point.

But that's also easy for me to say since I don't take hip hop as seriously as other genres. And because, like Peef, I have absolutely zero objectivity.

The end of "You See Me" is pretty solid evidence the dude can spit.

:banghead: Just got back from visiting The Other Place. I plan to do this until I pass out or intelligent thought returns to my brain.

I definitely like Bon Iver's self-titled more than For Emma. A much more consistent, satisfying listen imo. Skinny Love, The Wolves and Re: Stacks are incredible, but the rest - whilst good - doesn't grab me as much. I like the full band sound more too.

Like I'm the only person who hates the Gallaghers?

I don't hate them because of the blur rivalry, it's because they're just flat-out assholes. The blur thing (like wishing Damon gets AIDS) is only one example of their assholery.

Sounds like the exact same reasons pretty much everyone who lived during the height of their 5 minutes of fame hates them. They're one of those bands that seriously makes me embarrassed for UK celebrity culture as whole. Why the hell does that country love celebrities who act like dipshit assholes so much?

Back
Top Bottom