Random Music Talk XLVII: 'tis (almost) the season to be jolly. But not "joyful".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm about halfway through Martin Scorsese's George Harrison documentary, and I'm not sure why there's so much material about the Beatles history. Like, I can't imagine someone would watch a doc about Harrison without already having seen something on the band itself. Many of these stories I've heard time and time again, and they often have nothing to do with George specifically. Do we really need to hear Paul explain how he thought they should record under a fake band name called "Sgt. Peppers..."? This is like Beatles 101 shit.

No wonder this thing is over 3 hours.
So, basically, stuff you would already know from watching the Anthology?

Like a boss.

I also heard it might not just be a one night thing.

thumbnailphp.jpg

No poofters.

I'm listening to Bad As Me. Second Waits album I've heard after Closing Time. Dude's voice is seriously abrasive at times :lol: I really like the slower tracks though.

lazarus said:
You just went from his first album...to his most recent album? A 36-year gap?

Frigggin' Cobbler.

I'll second this, just because he's liked Tom Waits long enough to have heard a second album by now.

Kant is one person whom I never expected to be mentioned here. But it should be noted that, in terms of modern German philosophy, Nietzsche owns him.

Shit! I have stuff starred on Spotify that I guess I need to write down before it apparently goes away.

For a bloody Anglophile, your lack of Monty Python knowledge is shameful. :tsk:

:lol:

Yes, I'm not as familiar with it as I should be - though I have liked what I have seen of it.

Also, hearing Joyful mention The Pixies a few times over the last week inspired me finally to give Doolittle a listen. I went in scoffing a bit at its reputation, but was I ever wrong to do so. The thing's a classic. Great variations in moods and textures augment the sheer eccentricity and mania that do not so much emanate from the speakers as explode out of them. Here Comes Your Man, Monkey Gone to Heaven, #13 Baby, and Silver are all brilliant tracks. I will be coming back to this one soon.

Now I'm finally going to watch A Skin, a Night.

Doolittle is definitely one of my all time fav albums. Possibly in the top 5.

I just laugh when some contrarian fuck posits Surfer Rosa as being a superior album. Doolittle just has it all; as iYup said, so much variety for a band that is associated with a specific sound and era.

And out of 15 songs, there are maybe only 2 or 3 that I wouldn't classify as great.

The album is in my all-time Top 10 for sure.

Doolittle is great.

I'm finally getting around to the new Coldplay jaunt. On my second listen. Considering all the hate it seemed to get around here, this is not bad at all.

I've said this before, but an album by one of the biggest bands in the world near their supposed creative peak should be more than "not bad".

Doolittle is fucking astounding.

Bossanova has always been a close second favorite Pixies record, personally though.

Back
Top Bottom