Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway in anticipation of Harvest I've downloaded

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - s/t
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - s/t
The Walkmen - Bows & Arrows
Mogwai - Young Team
Bright Eyes - Lifted...
Portishead - s/t, Third

And will buy At War With The Mystics and Dear Science over the weekend.

lazarus said:
Yeah, it only took other bands like 10-15 years to catch up to what they were doing.

New Order invented synth-pop in 1982? :lol:

You may bitch about Ian Curtis all you please, but I could sing a New Order song and absolutely nothing would change about it. Their vocals have to be among the more nondescript in their field. So they replaced something with nothing.

You may bitch about Ian Curtis all you please, but I could sing a New Order song and absolutely nothing would change about it. Their vocals have to be among the more nondescript in their field. So they replaced something with nothing.

It's not about the vocals. The songwriting got more sophisticated, the music got more adventurous.

New Order expanding into dance music is more important than a couple more doom & gloom albums that we didn't get to hear because of Curtis' death.

Perhaps you don't understand how big a deal it was for a post-punk band to release the best-selling 12" club single of all time. There is no other band that achieved crossover on this level, and was able to go back and forth on it for so long. And they remained on the cutting edge of dance music until the end of the 80's, which is pretty impressive.

lazarus said:
a couple more doom & gloom albums

What's next, disregarding U2 for having a singer named Boner?

Your bias doesn't permit much of an argument here. We should go back to discussing what the greatest death in rock n' roll was.

I'm actually pretty firmly in the New Order > Joy Division camp myself.

LemonMelon said:

Yes - I really see little or no difference between those early New Order singles and something like Depeche Mode's Just Can't Get Enough or Everything Counts. And, Laz, I just can't understand how you can fulminate so often about Jeff Tweedy being nondescript and boring but then defend Bernard Sumner, one of the worst lyricists and easily the least affecting, least compelling vocalist that I have ever heard.

I enjoy New Order, but they are nowhere in Joy Division's league for me in terms of album coherence and general gravitas.

Likewise, I don't mind Joy Division, but I think that as New Order they became just better songwriters/musicians. Apart from some songs I find Joy Division relatively dull. Though you would not catch me saying that here in Manchester, i'd get lynched.

...why the fuck would you put up with that?

Because for right now, they're paying the bills. But after that incident, pretty much everyone I know is encouraging me to quit. I'm probably going to take it one step farther and cancel my account with them, too.

One last thought regarding Joy Division and New Order: For me, at the end of the day, New Order sounds incredibly dated, whereas Joy Division still sounds fresh and vital. Despite the legions of imitators, no one has replicated Joy Division's sound, whereas with New Order, regardless of how many 12" singles they sold, there have been plenty of artists who equaled or bettered their formula.

Yeah, it only took other bands like 10-15 years to catch up to what they were doing.

Joy Division in million years could not have recorded a song as good as:

Age of Consent
Blue Monday
Leave Me Alone
Temptation
Bizarre Love Triangle
True Faith
The Perfect Kiss
Regret

etc...

I'd take shitty Joy Division songs I don't even like over a number of these outdated sounding cliche '80's songs listed above.

To be fair I think Bach sounds pretty dated these days, should have moved into chill wave. Unless chill wave is dead now too?

I'm not super familiar with either band's work, but I think Joy Division is the cooler band. They just appeal to me a bit more, I don't know.

This Kindergarten Achtung deal is freaking me out. I forget what I'm listening to and start singing along and suddenly there are bizarre lyrics about crazy things.

My AB is out for delivery now. Getting it a lot sooner than I thought given how late I ordered it. I didn't expect to see it until next week. So, yay.

One last thought regarding Joy Division and New Order: For me, at the end of the day, New Order sounds incredibly dated, whereas Joy Division still sounds fresh and vital. Despite the legions of imitators, no one has replicated Joy Division's sound, whereas with New Order, regardless of how many 12" singles they sold, there have been plenty of artists who equaled or bettered their formula.

I was never a huge fan of either, but this sounds about right. I did listen to Joy Division a lot in college but for some reason didn't pay much attention to New Order. I was just into other stuff at that point.

Children, I have received passes for my girl Lykke's ACL taping tomorrow night. Gonna miss Four Tet and Public Enemy at the fest to see it, but that's totally worth it. You can stream the taping live here, if you're so inclined. Beats waiting till its air date.

Also, Gambeezy is doing a signing. Considering there are no physical releases yet, this puts me in a pickle. What do I take? Community S1 DVDs? S2? My Troy & Abed in the Morning coffee mug? My heaving bosom?

I kept a gigantic cataloged list of all the CDs I owned for the last decade or more, but haven't been keeping up on it at all. I planned today to finally update it, but I think I've had a "this is pointless, I don't want to do this any more" type moment. If you can see any reason why I should keep doing this, please let me know in the next 30 mins or so, other wise I'm going to skip wasting time with it and just shove the huge piles of cds I have sitting next to my computer that aren't cataloged in with everything else.

I'm going to write a Dr. Seuss style children's book about Elfa, BoMac, and scumbo. With a cameo appearance by a villainous creature known as No spoken words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom