Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumblr_lqnl7z4qAU1qczjlgo1_500.gif

Damn, Burial's Untrue was exactly the type of album that I have been trying to find lately. These downtempo/drone guys like Tim Hecker and Burial are soundtracking many a night for me as of late.

Interesting that the "Deluxe Edition" only has one of the six unreleased Achtung studio cuts from the reissue. Blow Your House Down is a hot track, though.

I haven't heard a lot of these b-sides in years: Salome, the covers of Paint It Black and Fortunate Son, Where Did It All Go Wrong, etc.

Don't remember that much about them, to be honest. I remember Lady With The Spinning Head, of course, because it's an all encompassing ass-kicker.

Interesting that the "Deluxe Edition" only has one of the six unreleased Achtung studio cuts from the reissue. Blow Your House Down is a hot track, though.

I haven't heard a lot of these b-sides in years: Salome, the covers of Paint It Black and Fortunate Son, Where Did It All Go Wrong, etc.

Don't remember that much about them, to be honest. I remember Lady With The Spinning Head, of course, because it's an all encompassing ass-kicker.

Shuttlecock's covers of CCR and the Stones are uninspired, to say the least. And I'm not sure when they were recorded, but the latter should have been a lot cooler if it came from the AB sessions or beyond.

Yeah, these covers are bad.

It's one of the oldest Bonoisms, though: "We had to learn to play our own songs, because we were dreadful at playing other people's songs!!!"

Or some shit like that.

This is how I feel about There is a Light that Never Goes Out.

No, the universe actually does fall into a perfect, self-pitying harmony whenever that is played. :wink:

I've been listening to the Bat for Lashes station on Pandora for the past 90 minutes or so, and it has not played a single song with a male vocalist. I find this strange, as Ms. Khan has covered and repeatedly expressed her love for the likes of The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Radiohead, but Pandora seems to believe that the artists resembling her are all indie and indie-esque women. It's just another instance of the subtle ways that sexism operates: the assumption that men do things one way in music, and women another, fundamentally different way.

My god, this Super Deluxe book is beautiful.

The care that's gone into making this thing...the thickness of the pages, the overabundance of photographs from sessions we all know and love, all the commentary from various people in Shuttlecock's history (even if Beano's is a reprint)...they really didn't hold back on this one. And I nearly wept when I opened the envelope and saw the giant reproductions of the album cover's 16 tiles.

I'm not a fan of the disc storage method, but honestly only three of the CDs will likely get heavy rotation (and most people don't even play discs these days, something I'm sure they took into account), and two are easily transferred into their original cases. It's certainly not a dealbreaker.

Was this pricey? Sure. Did I already have some of this stuff? Well, aside from Cock-TV Sydney, no, not in this form. But that book would likely sell for $30-$40 at a store, the picture prints are a souvenir that would probably cost between $10-$20, and of course you still have 6 CDs and 4 DVDs. It's far from a rip-off.

I haven't even listened to or watched anything yet, but I'm very, very happy.

One quibble is that Cockropa unfortunately gets short shrift here. Aside from a few photos that look like they're from those later sessions, there are no lyrics or any liner notes on the album. And that's a bit of a shame, because a 2013 re-release seems unlikely. Though you never know.

iron yuppie said:
Damn, Burial's Untrue was exactly the type of album that I have been trying to find lately. These downtempo/drone guys like Tim Hecker and Burial are soundtracking many a night for me as of late.

Awesome. Boards of Canada next, please.

Hey Scums, Static Age is a really good album. I think I like these Misfits guys. They sound far more like the Stooges than I dared hope.

My god, this Super Deluxe book is beautiful.

The care that's gone into making this thing...the thickness of the pages, the overabundance of photographs from sessions we all know and love, all the commentary from various people in Shuttlecock's history (even if Beano's is a reprint)...they really didn't hold back on this one. And I nearly wept when I opened the envelope and saw the giant reproductions of the album cover's 16 tiles.

I'm not a fan of the disc storage method, but honestly only three of the CDs will likely get heavy rotation (and most people don't even play discs these days, something I'm sure they took into account), and two are easily transferred into their original cases. It's certainly not a dealbreaker.

Was this pricey? Sure. Did I already have some of this stuff? Well, aside from Cock-TV Sydney, no, not in this form. But that book would likely sell for $30-$40 at a store, the picture prints are a souvenir that would probably cost between $10-$20, and of course you still have 6 CDs and 4 DVDs. It's far from a rip-off.

I haven't even listened to or watched anything yet, but I'm very, very happy.

One quibble is that Cockropa unfortunately gets short shrift here. Aside from a few photos that look like they're from those later sessions, there are no lyrics or any liner notes on the album. And that's a bit of a shame, because a 2013 re-release seems unlikely. Though you never know.

Agreed on all points.

I wouldn't be shocked if we see a small scale individual release for Zooropa, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

So is anyone hearing any differences with the new "master" of both Achtung and Zooropa?

I wouldn't be shocked if we see a small scale individual release for Zooropa, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Well, yes, the actual "mastered-again" issue of the album will eventually replace what's in stores now; I can't imagine you having to pay over $100 to get it now and only now.

Perhaps they will include an extra disc of outtakes from those sessions as I imagine they would have enough material.

It's an opportunity to make money off the people who only bought the standard or deluxe AB reiussue, so I doubt McCockne$$ will pass it up.

I watched some of the bonus footage from one of the DVDs, and on the "Naked TV' feature there was a short clip of Ultraracquet live. Made me sad that this isn't on the Sydney setlist.

Does anyone remember if it's on the Thanksgiving special?

Well, yes, the actual "mastered-again" issue of the album will eventually replace what's in stores now; I can't imagine you having to pay over $100 to get it now and only now.

Perhaps they will include an extra disc of outtakes from those sessions as I imagine they would have enough material.

It's an opportunity to make money off the people who only bought the standard or deluxe AB reiussue, so I doubt McCockne$$ will pass it up.

This I would pay for. My AB is old and I could think about replacing it.

Someone should substitute in the EBTTRT Fish Out Of Water mix and the Wild Horses Temple Bar mix into the regular AB listing and report back how it sounds.

Might as well do the Fly Lounge mix, I guess.

That awful "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" cover?

I saw the vinyl box at the record store just now. $180. What a joke! As a comparison, Waits' Orphans set is cheaper, and that thing has seven LPs.

I've managed not to have any idea on any of the details of this reissue until now. What's the skinny on this thing anyway? And what about Zooropa? There's a remaster included? I'd definitely splurge on some sort of crazy collector's set for that one.

Cockropa and AB have both been "tweaked in polished".

My ears haven't noticed anything yet, but I didn't think it needed improving anyway.

Also, I love how P-Fork gave The Smile Sessions "Best New Reissue", clearly a label created just to take a swipe at Shuttlecock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom