Random Music Talk XLV: In which we form a punk rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just about die laughing every time I watch that Beyonce clip. I like to think the girl is desperately mouthing "don't make me sing!" and Bey's being a dick. :lol:

I don't understand you two. I'm going to bed. I am shouter.

I AM IF YOU SHOUT...

I am the shouter. I have been the whole time.

Interesting reversal: Poor Places is now one of my favorite Wilco songs (Jay Bennett was a genius if he came up with this one) and Ashes of American Flags isn't doing it for me. Hardly a bad song, still leagues ahead of a lot of the crap on Sky Blue Sky and the second half of Wilco (The Album), but Tweedy is trying way too hard and I have no idea what he's going on about. The bit about buying "unlit cigarettes" is just a douchey way to make the line fit, and "shake like a toothache" is cute internal rhyme but means less than nothing. I really love the chorus though, "all my lies are always wishes/I know I would die if I could come back new" is incredible. What it has to do with the rest of the song, I don't know. Anyway, this switch works out to the album's benefit because I used to not care for Poor Places or Reservations, but now I at least love the former...as well as basically everything else on the album.

Are any of you familiar with VU, that compilation of unreleased tracks/unreleased album by Velvet Underground? I think it's front-loaded, but I can hardly describe how good I Can't Stand It Anymore and Stephanie Says are. Ocean too. That shit is way better than most of Loaded.

For some reason, I think those songs are on the Lou Reed boxed set? I know I have them somewhere and I don't own VU.

Ok, I was right about the first and third. No Stephanie Says, but a song called Lisa Says instead.

Anyway, the live versions of Sweet Jane (INSANE guitar solo) and Heroin (jazzy, with trumpet courtesy of Don Cherry) made the whole purchase worth it, even if I now have much of the material.

Check this shit out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC4SijX-KLM

neilremaster.png

:doh:

IMG_1208-1.jpg

Ha, this had actually been brought to my attention by a pal already.

Unfortunately for you guys, my remains will not be remastered and will cost $170 for a four LP set consisting of remixes you will have absolutely no desire to listen to.

Incidentally, Cobbler's remains will not be on colored vinyl, no matter how much he pretends.

What rough percentage cut does a band get for a live performance (Obviously it varies depending on the contract and what not)? I assume a hefty chunk goes to the promotion folk and roadies etc

Just a wonder, as i've roughly worked out that the Stone Roses are making around £12 million for 3 gigs (220,000 tickets sold x £55 ticket).

Fairly good payday though.

So what the hell does "sonically tweaked and polished" mean? If hasn't been remastered. It it's been mixed again? And would that address some of the issues some people have here re: the guitar levels?

Interesting reversal: Poor Places is now one of my favorite Wilco songs (Jay Bennett was a genius if he came up with this one) and Ashes of American Flags isn't doing it for me.

It's all about Jesus, etc.

Probably my favorite song on that album, and I've actually been listening to it a lot lately.

It's all about Jesus, etc.

Probably my favorite song on that album, and I've actually been listening to it a lot lately.

What I've always wanted to know: is Tweedy singing to Jesus, or is he saying "JESUS! Please don't cry, come on now..."?

World of difference there.

Wait, Don Cherry played with Velvet Underground? That's like a progressive music dream team.

What I've always wanted to know: is Tweedy singing to Jesus, or is he saying "JESUS! Please don't cry, come on now..."?

World of difference there.

I always get the feeling that a lot of that dude's lyrics are total nonsense, so I've never really thought about it too much. But the melody is just beautiful.

"The gay ass way that people wear their hats nowadays. They even leave on the gay ass round shiny stickers that tell you how small the casing for your brain is."

Hatred, as mentioned so many times, for some posters.

Part of me thinks, "why don't I just put the person on ignore".

The other part of me hates putting anyone on ignore...

Back
Top Bottom