Random Music Talk XLIX: Celebrating traditional Australian customs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I don't think the mountains of Northern Utah can be pretty, but I never go skiing or camping or anything, so I guess I just don't appreciate them as I should. Although I bet up there away from all the light pollution, the night sky is a sight to behold.

I just cannot get over the alcohol restrictions. It's 2012, not 1812...

cobl, sounds like quite the interesting show you went to recently. Glad you enjoyed some of the acts, at least. And I've never heard of Boy and Bear at all, but your rant against them has me curious just to see how bad they really are :D.

They're not a bad band, just not anywhere near as good as people here seem to think they are. My frustration stems much more from people not appreciating much better bands.

What's your opinion been on Community s3 up until now? Missed you in the thread. Even if just to balance out the :drool: over Britta and Annie.

Heard a boy and bear song on the radio during our trip home. Pretty decent, but nothing spectacular.

The mountains of the western U.S. are indeed quite pretty (I lived in westerm Colorado for a few years). But yes, Reggo's right, if you're not an outdoorsy hiking/skiing/camping type, it does tend to restrict your options for fun quite a bit.

I do miss living in Colorado sometimes, though...

They're not a bad band, just not anywhere near as good as people here seem to think they are. My frustration stems much more from people not appreciating much better bands.

Gotcha :). I know that feeling, definitely.

What's your opinion been on Community s3 up until now? Missed you in the thread. Even if just to balance out the :drool: over Britta and Annie.

Yes! I missed talking about the show, too (aw, thanks). I wanted to post upon returning, but the thread's getting close to closing, so I didn't know if I should wait for the new thread or not. Of course, I'm very unhappy to hear about their sudden hiatus, but given NBC's continual habit of making boneheaded decisions, I guess it's not that surprising... Just frustrating.

Some episodes were more up my alley than others-my particular favorites thus far were the one with the multiple timelines (I really liked that one a lot-perhaps one of my favorites of the series thus far in general), the one where they help Annie move (Jeff singing to "Kiss From A Rose" with the dean-I DIED at that :lol: :D) and their Halloween and Christmas episodes (note to Donald Glover-if he hasn't done so already, do some more songs with Danny Pudi). But still, always fun to watch nonetheless. I do like how they've gotten perhaps even more surreal in some ways. If they stick around (ohpleaseohplease), I'm very curious to see where else they go.

And I've liked the whole Jeff/Annie vibe before, but this season it's really starting to truly "click" for me. The chemistry's getting quite strong between them.

(Course, seriously, though, if I could just be Annie for even, like, a day, or Alison herself, I'd be one happy, happy woman. She's smart, beautiful, talented, and she gets to hang out with (and make out with) Joel. And I just found out recently Alison's only a year older than me! Life really isn't fair sometimes.)

I'm still distraught it's on indefinite hiatus... why are there so many stupid people in the world?

My favourite episode so far has been the halloween one, though I've liked or loved all of them.

I feel the same way about a few other bands. :shifty:

This is what happens when 90% of the people running the government belong to the same religion/ideology, whatever you want to call it.

I've been to several Mormon meetings. Every time I go, I cannot shake the feeling of "cult" that my brain screams out. I've been to Mass and other religious proceedings and never felt as uncomfortable as I did in a Mormon ward house.

The mountains of the western U.S. are indeed quite pretty (I lived in westerm Colorado for a few years). But yes, Reggo's right, if you're not an outdoorsy hiking/skiing/camping type, it does tend to restrict your options for fun quite a bit.

I do miss living in Colorado sometimes, though...
Even Colorado would be better. More bands will make a stop in Denver vs Salt Lake. I just feel like there's nothing to do here, mostly because I need better IRL friends. Their idea of fun, 11 years later, is still play Uno and watch The Princess Bride.

My brief visit through Utah was beautiful. Loved the changing landscape as I drove through the state.

However, visiting Arches while it was eleventy billion degrees out was a bad, bad idea. I was so miserable I wasn't able to appreciate the beauty of it.

Definitely need to spend more time in the southwest.

Wow. Hanksville is literally in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

I'd love to go back down south. I've only been to Moab once on a river-rafting trip through Fisher Towers Canyon and didn't get to see much cause my glasses were tucked away where they wouldn't get knocked off. Which was good, since I got pitched off the raft during the last rapid and went through it in only my life jacket. Moab, yes. River-rafting, fuck that shit.

If you guys care about me at all, you will, at some point this afternoon/evening, turn your television sets to the ABC Family channel and sit and watch at least 10 to 15 minutes of their Pretty Little Liars marathon.

It is one of my favorite TV shows, features four stunning lead actresses, an exceptional amount of fine intentional and unintentional comedy, and it is glossy and shiny, and cheesy, but with hints of darker tones around every corner and up every staircase.

5 best friends. One of them is murdered. The remaining four girls are now being harassed by the killer of their friend. Who is the killer? We're halfway through Season 2 and we still don't know. Let's go. I think it might be Spencer's dad. (Spencer is my favorite character, followed closely by Hanna.)

To make sure no one thinks otherwise, I'd like to take this moment to say that I do not want to go to work tomorrow at all.

I hate the last day of a vacation, as you feel like whatever you choose to do with your time, you're wasting it. Should I go see Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? Watch stuff on Netflix or my DVR? Read? None of the above? Who knew entertaining one's self could be so stressful?

Thanks to working midnights, my vacation technically ends tomorrow, but I go in at 11 tonight :(

To make sure no one thinks otherwise, I'd like to take this moment to say that I do not want to go to work tomorrow at all.

I hate the last day of a vacation, as you feel like whatever you choose to do with your time, you're wasting it. Should I go see Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? Watch stuff on Netflix or my DVR? Read? None of the above? Who knew entertaining one's self could be so stressful?

Quit your job.

u2popmofo said:

In your dreams you can blow his head off
In your dreams show no mercy...

That song will always remind me of Jim Carey as Edward Nigma in Batman Forever.

I'm still distraught it's on indefinite hiatus... why are there so many stupid people in the world?

I don't know. That's the million-dollar question. People are put in charge of running TV stations, yet they have no clue what the hell they're doing, and yet they still get paid millions of dollars for their job. I've got zero TV experience and yet I could do a better job running a TV station than some of the people out there now. Read the book about the recent late night wars and seriously, this won't seem so shocking anymore. Actually, it'll seem incredibly maddening.

To find the silver lining, though, there have been other shows that have struggled and gotten a second chance, so it's not at all out of the realm of possiblity it'll happen again here, too, in some form or another. Here's hoping.

My favourite episode so far has been the halloween one, though I've liked or loved all of them.

The Halloween one was indeed fun. Those stories were great. When everyone stared blankly at Pierce after his story...:laugh:.

Reggo, I feel the same way about the Mormon stuff. I've listened to Mormons speak before, too, and...yeah. I'm sitting there the whole time literally biting my tongue.

(Course, I tend to feel that way about religion in general, but, yeah...)

I've never been to Utah. I've no doubt it's a beautiful state scenery-wise, but the uber-conservative nature of it all, and the power of the Mormon church, I just couldn't live with that on a daily basis. It'd drive me nuts.

Even Colorado would be better. More bands will make a stop in Denver vs Salt Lake. I just feel like there's nothing to do here, mostly because I need better IRL friends. Their idea of fun, 11 years later, is still play Uno and watch The Princess Bride.

Sigh. I know that feeling, too. I love my friends dearly, but most of the stuff I like they're not into or don't know anything about. So if a band comes near me that I want to see, there's nobody to go with (I don't mind going alone in and of itself, but in terms of being able to get guaranteed transportation and, most of all, for safety purposes, it is nice to have someone along). I don't really have anyone to sit and watch my favorite TV shows and gush about them with. And so on. This is nothing new for me, though-my tastes have always been "off" compared to what others I know like.

Denver does have a lot of good things swing through, definitely. I went to see a band there once. And then of course there's Red Rocks, too, which I've also been to.

Ha, oh, good, I'm not the only one who actually plans that stuff out!

I thankfully do have tomorrow off, but then it's back to work again on Wednesday. I just finished the holiday retail season, and I feel like I just need a week to get some really good sleep and clear my head and chill. For the last three weeks or so I've been working Wednesday through Saturday every single week, long hours, too, and then the occasional Sunday or Monday on top of it. There's days I'm just sick of dealing with customers, especially since we get some really weird ones at our store sometimes.

GAF, I've been meaning to check out a bit of that "Pretty Little Liars" show-it does look interesting from the commercials. I feel like I'd need to see it from the start, though, if it's a mystery of sorts. But perhaps I'll take a moment and watch some of it anyway :).

I'm watching the U2 Rose Bowl DVD for the first time in ages.

It's some good stuff; shame everything is so dark.

Reggo, I feel the same way about the Mormon stuff. I've listened to Mormons speak before, too, and...yeah. I'm sitting there the whole time literally biting my tongue.

(Course, I tend to feel that way about religion in general, but, yeah...)

I've never been to Utah. I've no doubt it's a beautiful state scenery-wise, but the uber-conservative nature of it all, and the power of the Mormon church, I just couldn't live with that on a daily basis. It'd drive me nuts.
I can accept the tenets of most other religions, but the doctrine of the LDS Church, when I really look at it, makes me feel as if I'm knee-deep in bullshit.

It's gorgeous here, I know. But I stare at it all the time, so I'm used to it.

Sigh. I know that feeling, too. I love my friends dearly, but most of the stuff I like they're not into or don't know anything about. So if a band comes near me that I want to see, there's nobody to go with (I don't mind going alone in and of itself, but in terms of being able to get guaranteed transportation and, most of all, for safety purposes, it is nice to have someone along). I don't really have anyone to sit and watch my favorite TV shows and gush about them with. And so on. This is nothing new for me, though-my tastes have always been "off" compared to what others I know like.

Denver does have a lot of good things swing through, definitely. I went to see a band there once. And then of course there's Red Rocks, too, which I've also been to.
Yeah. Until I finally get to a point when I can move away, having cool people to talk to on the Internet will suffice.

I can accept the tenets of most other religions, but the doctrine of the LDS Church, when I really look at it, makes me feel as if I'm knee-deep in bullshit.

Fair enough. No argument there.

It's gorgeous here, I know. But I stare at it all the time, so I'm used to it.

Ha, and I'm looking at it from the point of view of a girl who had spent most of her life in the Plains. The whole thiing fascinated me when I first moved out west. But yeah, I suppose it does become old hat.

Yeah. Until I finally get to a point when I can move away, having cool people to talk to on the Internet will suffice.

I hear that.

Why are people so stupid? Mate just posted a status asking if anyone was selling Kooks tickets. God forbid he try, oh y'know, Ticketmaster, where they're still on sale.

Ripped the audio from my Tommy movie soundtrack LPs onto my computer. :nerd: Loving it, though.

Damn, so much Utah discussion...haha

What do people tend to do in Salt Lake for New Year's, Mofo? I seem to remember the alcohol costs being prohibitively high.

I believe you misremember. Having bought alcohol in both Utah and Las Vegas during the past week, the same bottle of Skyy Vodka was slightly cheaper in Utah than it was at your corner liquor store off the strip in Vegas. I can't speak for everything, but I didn't notice any large difference in prices.

As for the New Years Party I attended in Salt Lake, the alcohol, illicit drugs and hot women were overflowing. I guess you just have to know where to find it. :wink:

Funny enough, many counties in Texas, Kansas, Virginia, and the Dirty South have stricter alcohol restrictions than Utah. "Dry counties" where the sale of alcohol is prohibited within the entire county.

Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At least alcohol is available in every corner of Utah, despite some annoying laws that still exist.

C'mon Reggo. Regardless of the peculiar beliefs of the Mormon Church, this type of talk can come off as offensive, or at the least, should stay in FYM. :hug:

And for some music discussion, I just listened to The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers for the first time in awhile. I had forgotten what a great album that is :up:
Some really heavy lyrics in there.

Happy New Year B&C!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom