Random Music Talk XLIX: Celebrating traditional Australian customs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna hang out with a friend I haven't seen in a year; eat some pizza with him, maybe watch a movie, and then get back in time to kiss my wife at midnight.

Maybe I'll listen to The Ice of Boston and The New Year a couple of times too.

What do people tend to do in Salt Lake for New Year's, Mofo? I seem to remember the alcohol costs being prohibitively high.

Happy New Year, everyone! Have fun tonight. But none of that drinking and driving nonsense. Talk to you in 2012 ( :ohmy: )

Saw on the news that cab rides in the Dc metro are free tonight if under 30 bucks. Just have to call a certain number. Wonder if other places are offering similar...

The good news is my friend that lives around the corner is having a party. So I don't have to worry about driving.

"Bad" news is that a bunch of people are supposedly doing MDMA so it could be a crazy night anyway.

Saw on the news that cab rides in the Dc metro are free tonight if under 30 bucks. Just have to call a certain number. Wonder if other places are offering similar...

Apparently here in Chicago the CTA trains and buses are running at rush-hour pace and offering free rides until 4 A.M.

Yeah, the trains and buses go essentially everywhere in the city (aside from parts of the South Side), so it's almost as good as a cab ride.

I've got to say, the riff in "Death Letter Blues" is one of the most ferocious guitar licks I've ever heard. And to think that Son House wrote it in 1930.

I have returned. I left my marbles at the festival so forgive any spelling/grammar mistakes, but here's my opinion on some of the artists I saw in between getting extremely fucking drunk, smoking weed, eating plain chips, applying and reapplying sunscreen, and trying to hit on girls.

Dum Dum Girls - pretty good. Not my thing though. Bass guitarist looked like she wanted to kill herself.

Gotye - awesome. Seriously talented dude. Band of 10-15 which made it even better. Highlights were the tracks I didn't really know... he didn't play Save Me, which was disappointing, Somebody I Used To Know was pretty cool. Got up on a mate's shoulders and belted out all the words. Mate threw a plush footy at his head and thought it was hilarious. I didn't quite see the same humour.

Grandmaster Flash - disappointing... as I was expecting a great old-school hip-hop show akin to Arrested Development last year. But a quick wikipedia search has revealed that he is just a DJ... The Furious Five were the rappers. He played a pretty sick set, heaps of hip-hop classics mixed with other tunes, and we were pretty drunk and jumping around everywhere so it was a lot of fun. I just set myself up for disappointment.

Ashton Shuffle - Australian house duo. Were awesome. Dropped Gabriel. Saddened I was the only one who seemed to know it.

Yuksek - fucking great. French DJ/producer. Their set reminded me a bit of LCD Soundsystem. I had to go by myself, and I was sober as a judge, but that made it all the more better somehow.

Scissor Sisters - Fucking loved them. Once I got over the disappointment of them being headliners I had a feeling they'd be great and they were. High energy set, some great beats. They did very well putting up with all the cans and shit being thrown at them and Don't Feel Like Dancing was an incredible amount of fun. I got thrown in the air during their set which was awesome.

Muscles - DJ set with fewer vocals would have been better. Some great beats obscured by pretty ordinary and uncharismatic singing. I left really disappointed after he decided to play Ice Cream on the piano with no other beats.

Successfully managed to avoid every single bit of Aussie hip-hop (save for hearing one set while I was wrestling with a few mates back at the campsite) which made me very happy. Lots of drinks (we managed to smuggle 32 bottles of straight alcohol plus a slab and a half of tinnies in two cars), lots of laughs, lots of fun.

Just makes me more depressed that he won't make his fucking solo album.

Please cheer a little bit extra for me.

He was not very good.

Scissor Sisters being billed above Gotye at this point is hilarious.

Yes.

^ The best part about that is the song is indistinguishable from a number of other pop songs these days

I said this when he posted it a couple of weeks ago.

Also saw a few very mediocre live bands that people inexplicably love. People walked away from acts like Boy & Bear blowing smoke up their ass, all this effusive praise. And I know this makes me elitist (don't care in the slightest) but they're idiots. These people listen to one radio station, know one or two songs by the artist, think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. It shits me so much because I go to all these other great shows and my mates and/or others just won't give them a chance. If you think Boy & Bear are the pinnacle of live music you're a fucking idiot. Hardly anyone's heard of The National but the distance by which they are better (both live & studio) than bands like Boy & Bear is just embarrassing.

I try to get people into bands like The Flaming Lips... because if they saw a Flaming Lips show their minds would be blown. It shits me that they won't ever experience a show that good but will instead endlessly praise a relatively mediocre band who can't even do a cover of Crowded House's Fall At Your Feet justice.

/rant

Boy & Bear is a pretty shitty name for a band too. You don't even have to listen to the music to know what they sound like.

PhilsFan said:
this holiday fucking blows. i hate everything and everyone.

It is fundamentally ridiculous to celebrate the passage of time, I think. That's why I dislike birthdays as well.

Any excuse to drink good alcohol and listen to loud music is a good excuse.

Birthdays and NYE both fit that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom